More awesome pics, man I miss baja

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:14 AM   #92
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Oddometer: 465
Osadabwa – Desert = Awesome – Although, I don’t know if it can compare to lions, hippos, giraffes, and rhinos it is beautiful desert. Who knows, maybe one day we can help each other out.

desertRdr – I assume it is merely due to logistics. I was going to guess that the Bill Nichol’s Rock trail was easier W to E but SP’s Dad already shared his expertise.

SP’s Dad – Cheers!

BikePilot – Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Maybe this is a good time to say this, BABs helped me a bunch this time by sharing his photos to help supplement this year’s report, thanks brah!
Z_HARSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:19 AM   #93
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Veintidós Días al Este

We heard AG rummaging around well before sunrise, just waiting to see the first light. At the first hint, we heard the BANG BANG BANG! “COME ON GUYS LET’S GET READY AND GO,” in his typical quiet voice. We had another one of Bill Nichol’s little gem’s, well at least the easy half of it, on the docket and it wasn’t going to be a huge feat but we wanted to make it back early for a New Years Eve dinner in town. Waking up early did give me a chance to take a few prerrrrty pictures of the bay.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Pretty soon we hopped on the trail and headed out to the highway.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This one is not too rocky or technical and can be ridden pretty fast. There is really only one little thing to worry about.

Photobucket

It’s pretty amazing what the spikes can do, straight thorough a hand guard with out a problem.

Photobucket

BABs soon remembered one good little thing to think about when doing bike setup for Baja. These are OK:

Photobucket

But these are ideal:

Photobucket

Before long we hopped on a fast 2-track and headed back for camp.

Photobucket

I really don’t know how to explain it but there is just something about riding side by side with a good friend, power sliding around the corners, knowing that they will stay in their lane and just railing it. Perhaps slightly overstated, but Baja is the best place in the world to do this. There are so many fast, sandy 2-tracks. I won’t admit it but I kind had a little pumpkin envy riding next to the 525. Mainly, I just wish the ol’ DRZ had a 6th gear, I can’t tell you how many times I have wished that wish though.

Photobucket

It is always cool seeing these “century plants” in bloom, and there is just something about the boojum tree.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We made it back early, took a shower in maybe the hottest showers I have experienced in Baja, albeit with no water pressure, and rode into town. George, his wife, BABs and I all decided on the lobster.

Photobucket

It was good but not exactly Mexico prices at $40 (US) with a couple drinks and lobster stuffed mushrooms for an appetizer, no complaints though.

We headed back and lit a fire but it was no use, there was no way we were making it till the New Year. Apparently there use to be a huge party in Bahia de los Angeles for New Years Eve but after “Papa” Díaz passed away, without his iron fist, things got out of hand at the parties so those days are gone, according to AG. So we just called it an early night.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:13 AM   #94
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,468
That all looks way too fun. love the report!

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:18 PM   #95
SP's Dad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
I love that trail!

It is so much fun.

Great Pics!
SP's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:29 AM   #96
satmike
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hi Zach, Nice report. I am one of the guys you ran into at Santa Ynes. You did a lot better job on pictures than we did. We were really jealous of you guys riding light. I know what you mean about pumpkin envy, I am looking for 6th a lot
on my XR, but it's a good tractor.
Later Mike
satmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #97
BDKW1
KL"X" not "R"

Oddometer: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_HARSH View Post
Look at this video that the guys on the Rip to the Tip put together on Bill Nichol’s Rock Trail, (post #2 on this RR). Keep in mind all of these riders are considered EXPERT OR ABOVE and are fully supported.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UamRbNs8v0E
Candy asses, I can throw a backpack on and ride down from My house in San Diego and do that solo.

Yes, I am the guy that pulls PAB out when he donkeys it in the silt beds......
BDKW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:36 AM   #98
BAB's
Controlled Chaos

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_HARSH View Post
...in his typical quiet voice.
haha, gotta love AG.

Ride reports pretty spot on so far Z, lookin' good!
BAB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:00 AM   #99
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Usually I wait, but…

VxZeroKnots – Thanks man, looking forward to seeing more of your photos on your report.

SP's Dad – Thanks again!

satmike – It was awesome BSn with you guys that night, good fellowship there indeed. Those Jap bikes need to get with it, but if I remember right, my old KLX300 had a 6th gear. Hope to run into you again one day.

BDKW1 – LOL, awesome! On your KLR, I mean KLX of course.

BAB's – Welcome n00b, now we just need your contributions…….
Old 02-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #100
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,092
thanks for a great report !!

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #101
Baja Dog Jimmy Sones
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Ahhhh Beautiful Baja

Thanks Guys for not sharing the GPS files............. Gee I told G.G. not to share them........ but he did, with you......... so it's the last he'll EVER get from me.........especially not the new 110 miles of new trail G.G. doesn't know about. Baja Dog Jimmy Sones
Baja Dog Jimmy Sones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #102
Moto Vaquero
Trail less traveled

Oddometer: 270
Jonesing for Baja

Nice photos & RR. Those were perfect conditions and absolutely gorgeous with everything so green and in full bloom. Now I'm all hyped up for our ride next month. I'm actually going to hook up with the Rockman himself for a few days of glorious single track, many of the same ones you guys were on. The guy is a 70 yr old stud and I havn't ridden with him for 8 yrs when we were "burning in" the "rock trail" and "window rock trail"
As far as "sharing trails", I think it's better done in person (without a gps), It's more fun that way. I've only taken a gps down to Baja one time over the years and I really didn't need it then.
Happy Trails

21 days exploring Baja
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922187
Moto Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #103
BDKW1
KL"X" not "R"

Oddometer: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dog Jimmy Sones View Post
Thanks Guys for not sharing the GPS files............. Gee I told G.G. not to share them........ but he did, with you......... so it's the last he'll EVER get from me.........especially not the new 110 miles of new trail G.G. doesn't know about. Baja Dog Jimmy Sones
So when can I get a ride on the new section?
As far as I'm concerned, GPS really takes the adventure out of it. I have never owned one and never will. I do all My navigating prairie dog style, stand up on the pegs for a better view and decide where to go from there. Most of these guys couldn't find the trails again if you took away there GPS's anyways.........

My one concession to modern technology is the spot tracker. As much stupid stuff as I do it may come in handy some day.......
BDKW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #104
PAB
Baja Junkie

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dog Jimmy Sones View Post
Awesome that you are here on ADV. I wanted to say that the DA have much respect for you and the things you have created that others, like me, get to enjoy.

We are trying to keep up the Baja tradition of loving her and taking care of her. I hope to make roost with many of you some day soon.

Not sure who is claiming they pull me out of the silt but yeah sometimes things happen and I've only been pulled out of the silt in Loreto recently so I'm guessing T the SCORE course marker or B who is his sidekick.

GPS... sure you guys are gnarly and say you don't need anything with you..... but..... I think I remember better than most but when the chips are down or it's dark and there are no land marks I admit I have some back up. In this day I think it's dumb not to have a GPS, Sat phone and a Spot Tracker... I don't care what you call me, I have my style and you have yours.

I will never share a GPS route no matter how many times asked. There are too many places many people shouldn't be.

Viva Baja
Old 02-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #105
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Thanks!

Just Paul, 2x1foo, BDKW1, PAB – Thanks guys, much appreciation.

Personally I wouldn’t be able to find my own house if I didn’t have it marked as a waypoint, but I always figured that the only ones that don’t like GPSs don’t because they can’t figure out how to use them.

Dear Mr. Sones,

I don’t know you, but I know that you are THE MAN. As one of the main contributors to these majestic single-lines I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for all that you have done. I know how much hard work goes into making trails, BABs and I both do. Plus, don’t worry about little old me; I didn’t even spin out the rear on the opening hill of the Rock Trail, on George’s bike or mine, and maybe put my feet down twice on two trips up, promise.

Even more, George made us deposit our GPSs in the scorpion pit nightly for safekeeping, each morning they were whipped clean with the next day’s route on them. I still don’t know how he got them out but you know George, he’s crazy.