Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #121
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Oddometer: 481
It’s hard to decribe what we were feeling that day. I have read some reports describing the strain and stress, the feeling of vunerability and nakedness, and pure excitement and exileration when pushing the limits of one’s riding abilities. Taking 5 guys through the route for the first time, wondering how to make it through each arroyo, sweltering in dehydration, and then coming to the wattermellon-rock hill, George was feeling it. I find it hard to fathom the pressure that must have been felt in some of the truely epic journeys thrugh Africa and Siberia told here. I don’t think Baja and the deserts of Africa are really comparable, but it doesn’t mean you can’t get the same feeling. The feeling Marco Pollo, or Columbus, or Lewis and Clark flet, in a day and age where you can download a picture of nearly any corner of the planet you want.

Adventure, the name of this site says it all. We all feel it the first time down a new road, trail or over a new boarder, but the great help to literaly expand the horizon of possibility for the rest of us. They hire a plane twice to fly over a section of rocky wasteland and hours and hours and days and days of sacrafice to put a 40-mile section of trail in because they didn’t want to ride the road back. What BABs and I did was deffinatley strenuous and pushed our limits, but what guys like Jimmy, Bill and George, just to name a couple, have done is great.

I think the main reason to write this whole thing is that I want to say thank you, thank you to all those that fight for the trails here in the States, and all of those that break new ones where possible. And also to all those that help inspire the rest of us to leave our comfortable routine, at least for a little while when possible.

Thank you for making it possible, and for the inspiration.

Yea…..so……I suppose I’ll step off my soapbox and continue on, I have a couple more posts after this.

The next day we rested. We had plans to do the second half of another one of Bill’s little gems, but the logistics are a bit tougher. Our plan was to load up the bikes and tow them up to the highway, cutting out the 30 some klicks of pavement. But with BAB’s not having a reer break and getting in late the night before, we decided to put up a little note on the door of the camper to tell George we were going push our plans back a day, in anticipation of his famous wake-up calls. It almose worked too, we got half a knock and a cackle instead of the usual pounding.

We slept in, had an excellent jalapeño pancake brekfast courteous of George, hunted down some break fluid and fish tacos in town, and soaked in the beauty of Bahia.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then loaded up for the next day’s adventure.

Photobucket
Z_HARSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #122
ArvadaGeorge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Nice job great photos
ArvadaGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:36 AM   #123
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Loved your ride. Bahia may be one of the jewels of the world..............
when the wind and that damned generator downtown , ain't blowing.
I must get back down to see Javier and Chary.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:12 PM   #124
ArvadaGeorge
Gnarly Adventurer

They aren't at S/F any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsdrat View Post
Loved your ride. Bahia may be one of the jewels of the world..............
when the wind and that damned generator downtown , ain't blowing.
I must get back down to see Javier and Chary.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:40 PM   #125
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

ArvadaGeorge – Thanks George, good seeing you the other day.

prsdrat – Glad you liked it, Bay of LA is amazing indeed.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #126
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Veintidós Días Oeste

Photobucket

Waking up to our last sunrise over Bahia was bitter sweet. We were already loaded up with the three bikes on the trailer. After breakfast and a few more details we hopped in the truck and headed out to the highway. We had a couple ideas on where to stash the truck; you obviously don’t want to just leave it next to the road. We stopped by what looked like a junkyard and the guy selling gas out of jugs up the street ran over. I didn’t do a good job thinking over the negotiation beforehand and offered a high pice first, $10 now and $10 when we got back. I didn’t care; sometimes I figure they need the money more than I do and as long as everything was intact when we got back it didn’t matter. Afer the guy consulted with the man in charge for a few minutes he opened the gates and pointed us to the corner.

Photobucket

It was a bit ominious seeing all the casualties of Mex 1 piled up like that.

There was just something about the sky that day, beautiful but foreboading on a cold and windy morning. But wind is always a good thing on a ditbike and the cold didn’t matter either because we were sweating soon enough.

Photobucket

We had planned to ride this last year but we didn’t have enough daylight and I also kind of lost the group that day too. Another one of Bill Nichol’s specials and he didn’t let us down.

It was definitely some of the best miles in the saddle I can remember.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

BABs framed that one well.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Through the arch…

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Stupid paparatzi.

Photobucket

Photobucket

This trail is just fanominal. It is up and down, hilltop to hilltop winding through the desert. It is pretty amazing thinking about bulding it, you can look around in one section and there is only one hill that will work, the others are not rideable. Manking this trail must have taken forever, like, I don’t know, 22 days? It is also cool to see where you are going a couple miles ahead, being able to see the trail three, four, five hills in advanced.

Photobucket

Photobucket

It was a bit tight through here.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Evenmore, it is open enough to where you can stand on the pegs and go. Typically visibility is a main limiting factor on speed and you can see a ways on this one. Just be careful of the agave that lines the course. George tells a story of one going through his boot, through his kneepad and intho his shinbone. They had to take plyers to pull it out and a dime-sized chunk of skin came with it. And another story about one of the guys he was with plowing into one, throwing him over the handlebars and flattening both tires. It seemed like on half the corners I was picking up my feet so they didn’t hit the “century plants”.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Darn hitchhikers

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And then at last, the Pacific…

Photobucket

We headed out to the beach for a snack and a break but my first parking spot was a bit too soft.

Photobucket

But BABs had the right idea

(at least his kickstand won't snap off here)

Photobucket

then whipped out his sandwitch.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

George was resting up, making the most of the soft sand.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

But after a bit of playing in the sand it was time to head back.

We did get to see a bit of silt but it wasn’t exactly the stuff of legends, sinking over the handlebars or anything like that. The invisible ruts will catch your attention though.

Photobucket

Then we hit the section I remembered real well from last year when I was racing the sun to the pavement.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It was nice to be able to stop and smell the flowers.

Photobucket

Then one last parting shot of the three of us. BABs and I were headed North planning our next trip with one more good day of riding left on this one, while George slabed it back to Bahia to finish up his vacaion.

Photobucket
Old 03-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #127
Blurry
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
I'm no anthropologist but that looks like a seal skull to me...

Blurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:48 PM   #128
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Blurry, thanks, I think you are correct. After my in-depth 2-second google search I would have to agree.

This is a seal skull from http://www.connecticutvalleybiological.com/index.php:
Photobucket

This is the coyote skull from http://sibar.wordpress.com/2008/10/22/coyote/

Photobucket
Old 04-02-2011, 08:00 AM   #129
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Campamento Cáscara

Not quite sure how that translation worked but it’ll have to do, I need to meed up with BABs and break in his shiney new KLR in an hour.

After we split up with George we headed back to the truck. We were happy to see all was intact. We loaded up and headed North to our home for the night at Santa Ynez. We pulled up close to the buildings like instructed and walked over to check things out and pay for a night of camping, $6 I believe. There just so happened to be a bunch of fellow bikers, well not in the chrome costume party sense, Baja bikers Mike and his buddy on Hondas and a couple guys from San Fran on big dualsports new to the dirt. After some good fellowship and story exchanges we hit the sack ready for out last day in the saddle.

Last year this route was troublesome, George got swamped, we wondered aroung the rocky agave field for an hour or so and I though I lost the guys again when they were 50 yards away, the dry lakebeds weren’t (dry)……not a long mileage day, just one of those with multiple setbacks, but really, aren’t those some of the best in the end?

We were headed out for about a 100 mile loop, I’m not sure exactly on the story of this one but I’m pretty sure Jimmy had a big hand in blessing the fortunate few on this one. We had to decide which way back we wanted to take, some head out to the Pacific but since we were there the day before and last time was such a Kick Ass Tuesday we decided to head to the dry lakebeds again.

So off we headed.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Just another day in Beautiful Baja

Photobucket

Photobucket

A quick pick of the namesake.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Its nice someone spent some time to kindly mark it, it may be difficult to follow otherwise.

Photobucket

Then we hopped on some old roads and wove through.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then hopped onto a much less-defined section of trail. The kind that just comes and goes as it wishes, but we didn’t mind.

Photobucket

We had to disrupt some cattle’s dinner plans and were stared down for the audacity.

Photobucket

But this time we didn’t dilly-dally looking for the trail in the agave rock field; I knew what had to be done. But first we decided to soak in the sun for a minute and take in the view

Photobucket

After a fiding a spot to lie down between the pricklies we relaxed for a while.

Photobucket

During this time a little bumblebee decided to fly up my pants. I have the over the boot variety and all the sudden I felt something on my kneecap underneath my kneepad, without knowing what it was I swated at it, them I realized what it was as it retalieated with its stinger but I’m pretty sure I won the war. After a good laugh we saddled up and picked our way down the hill.

Photobucket

And into the beautiful valley….

Photobucket

then through the first dry lakebed.

Photobucket

This one will keep you on your toes. The grass is just thick enough and long enough to where at any speed at all you can’t really see what lyes beneath. That in and of its self is not a problem; however the 2 foot deep sink holes speratically thrown in could prove troublesome.

The next one was problematic last year, it could easily loure you in with the though of wide-open fun then grab you in the mud, but this year it was dry.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I couldn’t decide which one I liked more, this one or that one, so I decided to throw them both in, hope no one minds.

Photobucket

The next one was a lake and not a lakebed last year, not this year though, just wide-open fun.

Photobucket

There is one road section in there that I had forgotten from the year before. A real loose, rolley polley, watch your front tire with your life secion that was not fun tired with a bunch of extra crap on the bike, it deffinately wasn’t as tough this time but you still didn’t want to loose focus. Soon enough we were back to the highway. We sat there for a minute and a KLR blasted by, he slowed for a second but I threw up a shacka and he continued on. We brought our iPods in anticipation of the highway stint, I decided on Sublime and we headed back to the truck.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:21 PM   #130
Moto Vaquero
Trail less traveled

Oddometer: 291
Aww man... I sit here reading your excellent ride report with envy. We were leaving 3 weeks ago to ride the same area and many of the same trails, but...4 days before we were to depart I took a face plant in the dez and dislocated my shoulder, arrrrgh. I love that place, your story & photos has put me there as close as possible till the next trip. Thanks for the time and effort.

21 days exploring Baja
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922187
Moto Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:15 AM   #131
ArvadaGeorge
Gnarly Adventurer

Nice job looking at the photos it seams like we are back there

Thanks
Old 04-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #132
roadracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_HARSH View Post
ktm950se – Well….lets just say our fearless leader had to call all the way up to the Godfather himself and the only way he would send the tracks is if they don’t get on the internet so unfortunately, no.
I will never understand this kind of attitude
roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:28 PM   #133
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

2x1foo – Man, that’s a bummer, sorry to hear. I’m glad to do what I can and I appreciate the kind words. Sometimes I think that it may have been better to not put the spotlight on them but I’m glad you and others enjoyed it, it definitely takes some effort. Although I have to admit that it has been fun reliving it. Cheers!

George – With pleasure, but no, no, no……THANK YOU!

roadracer – Fair enough and I hear you loud and clear, not to be an ass, but I think a good way to understand it is to draw a line down the paper and put the “pros” on one side and the “cons” on the other.

Z_HARSH screwed with this post 04-07-2011 at 04:41 PM
Old 04-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #134
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Basically my point was that yes, it does make people feel excluded and that is never good. But on the other hand, from their point of view, the cons are much stronger. They are just not meant for the public domain, please don't take any of this personally.

But enough of that though, BABs didn’t make the deadline last time so here are a couple more pics:

Z_HARSH screwed with this post 04-10-2011 at 03:13 PM
Old 04-09-2011, 12:22 PM   #135
TemeculaRider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_HARSH View Post
I couldn’t decide which one I liked more, this one or that one, so I decided to throw them both in, hope no one minds.
Trust me, pal! No one's complaining about the pics. Keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
you are safer in 99% of Northern Mexico than you are in 99% of Jacksonville, FL.
TemeculaRider is offline   Reply With Quote