Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #106
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadingfastsd View Post
Oh and as far as the upper rubber mounts on the battery tray...they were shot on this bike. The whole battery tray was trashed, and the upper rubber mounts were rotted and warped badly. They were not reusable whatsoever.

Since i'm on an extreme budget with this bike at the moment, they were scrapped and I hardmounted the battery for now.
This is all up for change when I have money to go through the bike and repair/replace as needed.

But for now, after 150 miles or so on this setup, the battery is absolutely rock solid. There has been no wear of the battery case rubbing on the air filter housing. It's held in place too tight, just isn't moving to rub.

I'm not too worried about it...having too much fun riding the bike to go nuts over perfecting my battery tray
If you are on a budget, consider using VW Rabbit radiator mounts for mounting the battery tray. They're about the same thickness, have a 6mm stud on each end, and they don't cost $13/ea like the Genuine BMW part. Even though our flat twins are smooth running, BMW still felt it necessary to rubber mount the battery for best service--I'd try to keep that up.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #107
fadingfastsd OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Hey Ben, last wednesday (not this week, last week) I was at a bike meetup at Tower Bar right on University. I was parked in the lot right behind Tower Bar.

Is that what you mean?
fadingfastsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #108
fadingfastsd OP
Gnarly Adventurer

And it was a $40 battery, not the end of the world if it quits due to vibration. So far so good. I'll keep an eye on it, but I'm not worried. She's staying solid mounted as is until I see damage to the battery case start occurring.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #109
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
And it was a $40 battery, not the end of the world if it quits due to vibration. So far so good. I'll keep an eye on it, but I'm not worried. She's staying solid mounted as is until I see damage to the battery case start occurring.
Being that you're on a budget, that doesn't seem like the most economical approach. But keep on workin' and ridin'.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #110
fadingfastsd OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I guess my point was that by the time the battery does possibly fail from it's solid mounting, I will not be broke anymore and can completely redo the battery tray and mounting system.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #111
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
I guess my point was that by the time the battery does possibly fail from it's solid mounting, I will not be broke anymore and can completely redo the battery tray and mounting system.
Fair enough. It'd be nice if we always had all money to spend as much as we wanted on bikes (and cars, boats, etc.) all the time, eh?
Old 12-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #112
Ben Carufel
Boxer Addict

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Hey Ben, last wednesday (not this week, last week) I was at a bike meetup at Tower Bar right on University. I was parked in the lot right behind Tower Bar.

Is that what you mean?
Nah, there was a blue R75 out in front of Bar Pink/True North that day. I did a triple take, 'cause my roommate has a blue R75 but no license yet, so I at first thought I was gonna get to give him hell about riding with no license ;).
Ben Carufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #113
fadingfastsd OP
Gnarly Adventurer

haha cool. Nope that wasn't me then. I'm out riding alot, I usually ride my blue R90 every day for errands and stuff.
Can't miss it...I'm probly the only Monza blue beat up R90 with a tractor seat and luggage rack on the back.

If you see me around, stop me! I live in Bay Park/Clairemont area, but I'm all over town from Northpark area up to Miramar on any given day.

On a side note, thanks so much to everybody for the help and tips with the bike.
She's running absolutely great.

I took it on a 200 mile ride last Sunday. Just rode my ass off all day. The bike didn't skip a beat, ran like a top all day.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #114
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
haha cool. Nope that wasn't me then. I'm out riding alot, I usually ride my blue R90 every day for errands and stuff.
Can't miss it...I'm probly the only Monza blue beat up R90 with a tractor seat and luggage rack on the back.

If you see me around, stop me! I live in Bay Park/Clairemont area, but I'm all over town from Northpark area up to Miramar on any given day.

On a side note, thanks so much to everybody for the help and tips with the bike.
She's running absolutely great.

I took it on a 200 mile ride last Sunday. Just rode my ass off all day. The bike didn't skip a beat, ran like a top all day.
next time ya feel like it, ride out to Joshua tree, I'll custom make a negative cable to fit.
NC

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:00 AM   #115
fadingfastsd OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
next time ya feel like it, ride out to Joshua tree, I'll custom make a negative cable to fit.
NC
I'd love to take a ride out to Joshua tree.
And I'll take you up on the custom cable :)
My Napa special Autozone cables aren't a perfect fit for old BMW's apparently...
I'm planning a ride for the first week of January if you'll be around.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #116
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
should be around, call me at 831-332-8934,
or better yet
wirewrkr@gmail.com

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:44 AM   #117
bmwseeker
n00b

Oddometer: 3
R90/6 restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO CAL CHARLIE View Post
I Might Be Getting A R 90/6 Doner Parts Bike....... Need Stuff ?
Do you have this bike, if you do I would like to talk to you about some parts. email me at barryorliz@yahoo.com or call me at 770 595 8695
Thanks
Barry Stephens
bmwseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #118
ppakyz
n00b

Oddometer: 1
How's Progress? Any Parts You Need?

Nice Project!
I'm in the middle of restoring my 76 R90/6 too. I'm stripping her all the way to the frame for a powder coat. Mine came with an original full Daytona fairing with lowers and beautiful matching Wixom side cases and trunk. Do you know what these are worth? I'm more interested in the single seat you had and the Krauser side cases. Interested in a trade of sorts if your still working on it.
Thanks,
ppakyz@gmail.com
ppakyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #119
Ben Carufel
Boxer Addict

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppakyz View Post
Nice Project!
I'm in the middle of restoring my 76 R90/6 too. I'm stripping her all the way to the frame for a powder coat. Mine came with an original full Daytona fairing with lowers and beautiful matching Wixom side cases and trunk. Do you know what these are worth? I'm more interested in the single seat you had and the Krauser side cases. Interested in a trade of sorts if your still working on it.
Thanks,
ppakyz@gmail.com
I saw his bike on Craigslist a while back, so I'm not sure he still has it.
Ben Carufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #120
BowtieProf
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I bought the bike

I was searching ADV today for different battery modifications and found my bike! I bought this bike a couple of years ago. I don't get to ride it as much as I would like (I have four kids), but it still goes like crazy. I bought some Hella bar end lights for when I get the right set of bars on it. I'll keep adding to the thread as I make changes.
BowtieProf is offline   Reply With Quote