Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2010, 08:50 AM   #91
GAS GUY
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,564
How are these lights compared to hids in performance for long distance high speed driving lights ?? Say, as compared to to the legendary phid or phid4g.(phillips hid or phillips hid 4th generation) ????
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #92
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRob View Post
I sent him an email this morning telling him of my difficulty. I replied telling him that Adam ( Did I tell you all Adam= Mr. Awesome) helped me and that he would get in touch with me. I also told him that some of the gear he sent had to be modified to fit. Namely the POT "L" bracket had to have a bigger hole. It comes with a big hole and a smaller hole. Both holes need to be the same sized big hole to work on the Tiger 1050 .

Thanks for the nice comments, Rob - much appreciated.

I spoke with Glenn at Clearwater last evening, and some modifications to the kit (like a longer ground lead, a few spare Posi-taps and ring lugs) based upon your inputs, will be incorporated.

The documentation will also be updated to describe some install basics - including how to identify the right places to tap into for power and ground using a test light or multi-meter, what the function of each wires in the Krista harness is, and a trouble shooting section.

I did try to find a wiring diagram online for your bike, but couldn't. If you have access to one, we can identify the proper wire for the horn function.
Autocom | Clearwater Lights | Sena Bluetooth
| Scala Rider
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto screwed with this post 12-12-2010 at 10:54 AM
RocketMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #93
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjinscout View Post
How are these lights compared to hids in performance for long distance high speed driving lights ?? Say, as compared to to the legendary phid or phid4g.(phillips hid or phillips hid 4th generation) ????
The Philips 4G's will project out further than than the Krista's. The 4G's have a narrow pencil beam, whereas the Krista's have a more practical flood pattern - ideal to light up animals that may be lurking before they enter your path.

The Krista's will light the road - and everything else - it's like instant daylight, out to several hundred yards. Another significant advantage to the Clearwater's is that these are dimmable, so that you can run them for added conspicuity in traffic, day or night, and will illuminate to full brightness instantly, while HID's take several seconds to come up to brightness - and HID's are on full bright all the time (or completely off).

The Krista and little sister Glenda lights can be connected to the high beam headlight circuit, so even if dimmed, will illuminate to full brightness when the high beam is activated. Another slick feature is to connect these into the horn circuit with the provided lead, so that when the horn sounds the lights come on full brightness immediately, to wake up sleeping cage pilots.

Both lights are excellent and the combination of the two types would make for a fabulous setup.
| Scala Rider

Old 12-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #94
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,393
There is a pdf online somewhere for the Tiger 1050 workshop manual. I made a post asking for the link over on the tiger 1050 board. Hopefully someone will respond with an active link.
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:32 PM   #95
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Quote:
There is a pdf online somewhere for the Tiger 1050 workshop manual. I made a post asking for the link over on the tiger 1050 board. Hopefully someone will respond with an active link.
Rob:

OK - here's the issue - the horn has a pink/black and two black/blue wires. The black/blue is the hot side, and the pink/black is the side that goes to the horn switch, which connects ground to the horn - the +12 volts is hot to the horn all the time. It is done this way because Triumph cheaped-out and didn't install a horn relay, so they switch ground to the horn thru the horn button.

So to get the horn function to work on your bike, you'd need to wire-in a relay, that activates when the horn button is pressed, to apply +12 volts to the Krista white wire. I could wire up a small relay for you for you - won't cost much, if you want. Easy to install.

Lemme know.
| Scala Rider

Old 12-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #96
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

well, i dont think Triumph had Krista lights in mind when they designed the bike.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:24 PM   #97
Meltdown OP
Abort, Retry, Fail?

Oddometer: 1,738
Probably not. If your Tiger is anything like my FJR...Yamaha didn't intend for much in the way of electrical accessories to be installed either. 590 watts at 5000 RPM. 5k in top gear is about 90 MPH.

I just managed to luck out on my end because the bike has been fairly popular so there's lots of "bolt on" accessories available.

I don't know if you've already watched it, but there's a YouTube video in the first or 2nd post in this thread which shows what the lights do when wired to the horn switch. A semi-informal poll that i did seems to indicate that most people haven't wired their lights that way. I didn't. However, if you want that function, call Adam and purchase the relay which he offered to make for you.

Having said that, it would have been preferable if the kit had come with that included...but with so many different bikes around and the fact that Clearwater has only been making the Krista light for a few months, I guess it was bound to happen that a part didn't do quite what was intended based on a model specific quirk.

However, Glenn really is improving the product all the time. When I bought my Krista lights there didn't come with any sort of model specific bracket. So I spent another $50 on top of the $650 I paid for the lights to be able to properly mount them. For this group buy all of the people who purchased for the FJR got a model specific bracket to mount them included with the price. Ah....the price of being an early adopter.

In any case, do let the masses know what you decide.

And Adam...did you shoot Glenn an email about the Triumph's horn wiring specifics? I'm sure he'd be interested in knowing. I believe TallRob was the only one who purchased lights for a Triumph and it would be helpful for other people considering a purchase if they knew where to get a relay (like from you) or if Glenn included one with his kit.

If I remember correctly, about 1/2 the total was FJR1300's (I posted the group buy to the FJR Forum too). Most of the rest were BMW's, one Kawasaki Concours 14, and TallRob's Triumph Tiger.

Quote:
well, i dont think Triumph had Krista lights in mind when they designed the bike.

Join us! The Central Florida Tag-o-Rama
Meltdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #98
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

i posted my lights on the tiger board but people are bitching about the price and some guy posted that Denalies are better and cheaper............sigh.......lots of drunks posting tonight on that board
Old 12-12-2010, 11:55 PM   #99
katego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
drat! wish I would have seen this thread in time to get in on it!

will you please bump this thread if you do it again? i am subscribed.

-k
Old 12-13-2010, 04:20 AM   #100
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,117
Quote:
some guy posted that Denalies are better and cheaper
I have a pair of Denalies on my 690e and attest they are good lights. But, half the lumens and no dimming - don't think they could be called better.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #101
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
I have a pair of Denalies on my 690e and attest they are good lights. But, half the lumens and no dimming - don't think they could be called better.
I see the Denalies have different lenses. Do you notice a big difference between the spot and flood?
Old 12-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #102
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,117
Quote:
I see the Denalies have different lenses. Do you notice a big difference between the spot and flood?
I need to be more accurate - I bought vision x led (which are base of Denali system) straight from vision x (just prior to twisted throttle packaging them with some mc specific frills).

I bought their 15 degree beam (the Euro beam i think they called it) so no compare spot to flood. They do work well, though - 10 watts, 900 lumens, small and tough.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:01 AM   #103
Meltdown OP
Abort, Retry, Fail?

Oddometer: 1,738
Shoot me an email. No promises, but I'll see what I can do for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katego View Post
drat! wish I would have seen this thread in time to get in on it!

will you please bump this thread if you do it again? i am subscribed.

-k

Join us! The Central Florida Tag-o-Rama
Meltdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:03 AM   #104
katego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltdown View Post
Shoot me an email. No promises, but I'll see what I can do for you.
sweet. i sent a message to your gmail address.

-k
Old 12-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #105
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

I'm curious if anyone else installed their lights yet from the group buy. IS there a thread about on that FJR forum? linky please.