ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 11:33 PM   #16
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish View Post
I would suggest that this be turned of when not in use.
Thieves could just as easily use the data to locate your
home, or where you work, and know when your there at
either or not and make themselves right at home or 'borrow'
you bike etc when your at work.
While I suppose in theory this could be done, the probability is so minuscule that I'm not worried about it. I'm much more interested in the small chance that someone on ADV will see my position close to them and send me a message to meet for a beer. Or some random ADV member could show up at my house sometime. I think that's far more likely.

Same goes for those who obscure their license plate number in internet photos. I'm going to guess that there isn't a single documented instance of this being used for nefarious purposes, though in theory it could be, yet people still cover up their numbers in fear.

Anyway, out of many tens of thousands of ADV members, 17 have signed up so far. If a thief is trolling that map for a potential victim, he'd better off look for work elsewhere.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:11 AM   #17
Tradey OP
RTW Traveller

Oddometer: 226
That is a good idea and could be a handy feature that would work in more populated countries like North America. Your Spot account does allow multiple email addresses for sending OK and HELP messages. As long as you sent an OK message once you were 'back on the road' so this called off any further assistance that was on the way, it would be successful.

Bearing in mind you are only going to be pushing the HELP button when you are outside mobile phone range and one of the problems would be co-ordinating different offers of assistance that could be launched as a result. The last thing you would want is someone turning up and getting to your location to find you've fixed the problem or someone else has helped you out and you've moved on...

In more remote countries like Australia, South America and Africa there are few and far ADV members who could offer assistance this way. But in reality it is the '911' emergency button that is the real benefit here in this device.

During my North America trip of six months and 45,000km I had my HELP button sequenced with a message for my co-ordinator to call Roadside Assistance with my location and this was only going to be used when outside Cell coverage.

In the USA with 300 million people you are generally not far from help. I would be curious to hear from other ADV Spot users their experiences using the HELP feature.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:04 AM   #18
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
I am thinking more in terms of a 911 call from the spot, and travelling off road. Especially if you were travelling alone and from somewhere else. Getting help from people with some local knowledge could be critical and may be faster than who ever your spot contacts.
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:28 PM   #19
Tradey OP
RTW Traveller

The SOS/911 button is not programmable, the Spot system uses the International Emergency Rescue Coordination Centre who contacts the nearest emergency service if you are in your home country. If outside your country of citizenship the call is routed differently according to that country's foreign emergency policy and this can involve an Embassy or Consulate liasing with the local emergency service.

If you are that concerned about your well being then subscribe to the GEOS Search & Rescue service which might offer a more timely service. It is interesting reading the SOS testimonials on the Spot website - not one was outside a first world country ?

In my Spot profile I have a detailed description of me and my bike which will help the local authorities track me down. When travelling in second and third world country's do not expect a timely level of response, however be thankful they will at least find your remains !
Old 12-14-2010, 08:02 PM   #20
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
Yes, now that I look at my account I see the first and second emergency contacts are phone numbers. I don't really trust my life to the 911 call, but I thought that if you were going to send a message you are probably more likely to get a response faster from concerned riders. I have seen it happen on here before.
Third world countries are a different matter altogether.
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:22 AM   #21
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 568
So do you have to pay for the extra "tracking" subscription from spot to use this feature or can you just send out "ok" messages and spotwalla connects the dots?
Old 12-19-2010, 08:56 PM   #22
khpossum
poster

Oddometer: 469
added my spotwalla location. let's see if i will run into someone on one of my road trips. we'll need a whole lot more participation then what we have now. I have been using spotwala for some time now and it is a huge improvement over the spot page.
khpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #23
Tradey OP
RTW Traveller

Even if you don't subscribe to the SPOT tracking service option and just send 'OK' messages, Spotwalla will pick these up and use them as your last known location and post you on the ADV shared location page.

[You will of course need to set up a Spotwalla account and link it to your Spot account].
Old 12-19-2010, 09:34 PM   #24
Tradey OP
RTW Traveller

In time we will end up with many ADV riders on this facility and it just takes time to get the word around. It has the potential to bring together members who may live 'just around the corner' ?

(Does ADV already have this facility though - I'd like to seek out any members near me...)
Old 12-26-2010, 05:41 PM   #25
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post
So do you have to pay for the extra "tracking" subscription from spot to use this feature or can you just send out "ok" messages and spotwalla connects the dots?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradey View Post
Even if you don't subscribe to the SPOT tracking service option and just send 'OK' messages, Spotwalla will pick these up and use them as your last known location and post you on the ADV shared location page.

[You will of course need to set up a Spotwalla account and link it to your Spot account].
So... is the answer to the first part of Pete's question 'yes' or 'no'?

I've successfully activated my Spot but did not pay the $US49.95 subscription service. I then created a Spotwalla account, but I'm not seeing any tracking updates on my 'trip' page/map. Is my Spotwalla map blank because I haven't paid the subscription service with Spot?

I'm confused by this because it's my understanding that 'OK' messages (which I have successfully sent) would appear in Spotwalla regardless of whether tracking is active or not.
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #26
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 568
Farcall

No, you do not need the subscription service as the spotwalla page for the ADV group only displays your last transmitted position which would be your last OK message. I had mine in Toronto the other day and then went to Hong Kong for Christmas, sent a message from there and now it shows my last position as Hong Kong.

You set up a personal "trip" page and leave "breadcrumbs" by sending out OK messages as you go along and that will plot each point.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:33 PM   #27
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,850
Thanks Pete.

Still confused. I'm a total noob with this Spot / Spotwalla stuff so no doubt I'm completely misunderstanding something simple. Perhaps if I step thru what my understanding of things and what I'm chasing maybe someone can help me...

- have been given a Spot2 for Christmas
- have seen other adv'ers Spot tracking pages, so I am familiar with what is displayed there but understand tracking info is not retained for very long (7 days?)
- have read that tracking data is retained in Spotwalla for quite a while longer (12 months?)
- want to use the Spot tracking feature
- have not paid the Spot tracking subs service
- have joined Spotwalla and setup my first 'trip'
- my Spot is sitting outside ATM (has been for the last 2hrs) with GPS and 'tracking' lights both green
- expecting to see tracking marker/s appear on my Spotwalla trip page, but nothing appears (page is refreshing regularly)
- successfully sent an OK message to my wifes phone approx 1hr ago but nothing displays on Spotwalla trip page

What am I missing?
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #28
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by farcall View Post

I've successfully activated my Spot but did not pay the $US49.95 subscription service. I then created a Spotwalla account, but I'm not seeing any tracking updates on my 'trip' page/map. Is my Spotwalla map blank because I haven't paid the subscription service with Spot?

I'm confused by this because it's my understanding that 'OK' messages (which I have successfully sent) would appear in Spotwalla regardless of whether tracking is active or not.
No, SpotWalla only needs you to send an I'm OK message - no need for the tracking service at all. I am signed up for tracking but never use it, though I do use SpotWalla when travelling.

Maybe you've not got SW set up properly?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #29
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 9,190
I believe that the answer is 'no'. Spotwalla should pick up on the manually-sent 'OK' messages. Are you sure you have everything linked up correctly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by farcall View Post

Old 12-26-2010, 08:03 PM   #30
tagalong
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpillar View Post
I am not sure if this has been brought up before, but would it be possible to set up an email address to point your spot to that could automatically post an SOS message somewhere on this board so that when it was received it could be reposted on the regional forum for where the SOS message came from so that guys that lived in that region could help out. Does anyone know what I mean?
I like the idea in theory. But, I think for now the better option would be for someone in every state/territory to volunteer to be "coordinator" for non-injury emergencies (mechanical problems, etc...). Spot users in that state/territory would list the "coordinator" as the email/sms recipient for the "Help" button, then he/she would then check the map for the location of the rider and post a "Rider Needs Help" thread in the appropriate regional. He/she would then coordinate offers to help so to not have more folks than necessary heading for the same place.

The "coordinator" wouldn't even have to be in each state/territory, he/she could be in each region or just one person in each country, or smaller areas than states.
I suggest that the person who volunteers to take this on is someone who has access to a computer or other internet device at most times in order to be able to check the map and post up. There would probably need to be an alternate contact person, in case the primary is the one who needs help.
tagalong is offline   Reply With Quote