ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2015, 08:54 PM   #1
NeptuneTriton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Arrow vs. Akrapovic vs. Wings Exhaust options - Help me choose!

Hey everyone, I need a little help here. I'm ready to take the plunge and ditch the stock 20 pound inferno's on my 990 Baja. I want to go light weight, with a good rumble note, so that's led me to these three choices:

Arrow Titanium
http://www.ktmtwins.com/arrow-71763pk

Akrapovic Titanium
http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-60105099000

Wings Titanium
http://www.wings.si/ver3/index.html?page=details

I've searched here but can't really find any information on the Arrows….does anyone have them or heard them in person? They seem like a pretty solid set and I have a line on a pair for $880.00 - which is obviously a huge draw.

The cheapest I've found the Akra's are around $1400 a set. But, they have the reputation for quality and I know I like how they sound.

Lastly, I've seen a lot of guys like to run the Wings. Also high quality and also with a good reputation, but I haven't been able to find any pricing information. Anyone have an idea of what they run?

If I missed something or anyone has another suggestion, feel free to chime in. Thanks for the Advice!!

Kronreif, Trunkenpolz of Mattighofen - Model 990, Adventure Baja
NeptuneTriton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:39 PM   #2
Sgt.Floyd
delinquent

Oddometer: 1,368
I know they're not on your list but I just scored a set of Ti Remus for super cheap via an inmate...

Ping Clate- I believe there were a couple more sets?

It's currently snowing, so I haven't had the motivation to hang out in my cold ass garage and bolt them on, but they seem well made, and pretty light.

"It's a lonesome deal - but after a couple of shots of beer my heart began to go again. Bare the word - never ease up!"

"Don't be fooled by the quaintness of New England. It's like that because they hate change." -kbasa

my music
Sgt.Floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:33 PM   #3
NeptuneTriton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I just found this sound clip of the Arrow's installed on a 990 SMR LC8, so the sound should be fairly similar on the 990 Adventure. I like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v30V...c&spfreload=10

Old 01-22-2015, 04:35 AM   #4
peat729
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I have a set of FMF on my 990 adventure, great sound
peat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:53 AM   #5
cpeebles1
K-80

Oddometer: 92
also considering wings/ no remap

Gorazd Marovic
AttachmentsJan 20 (2 days ago)

to me
Hello Charles ,
thank you for your interest in WINGS exhausts. For your bike it's a bolt-on version with new bolts and sealing rings included.
On SMT you can use WINGS mufflers with the factory side-bag brackets both with or without the factory heat shields.
You will find the prices for the whole WINGS range attached to this e-mail.
Large (louder) dB-killers with spark arrestors are installed in the mufflers and the small (quieter) dB-killers with spark arrestors you will get gratis in the box.
They can easily be interchanged or removed just by unscrewing one Allen bolt.
WINGS mufflers are designed in the way that with dB-killers mounted there is no need to remap.
If however you want to remove dB-killers completely or you have modified/changed the air filter/intake remapping is required.
The total amount for a pair of mufflers would be:
WINGS mufflers $711,- + UPS service $95,- + 3% PayPal fee = TOTAL $830,-
We need 3-4 working days after your payment to ship the package. UPS transit time is 3 working days.
I will gladly send you the PayPal money request in case of your order.
Best regards,
Gorazd Marovic
WINGS -Because sound matters!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments area
Preview attachment 4 USA.pdf
PDF
4 USA.pdf
cpeebles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:09 AM   #6
05magmn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
I am very happy with my wings, if I had to do it again, I would not hesitate to buy wings again. That being said, I have never owned any of the other systems.
05magmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:25 AM   #7
deksawyer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
I had the older Akras before getting the Wings and I genuinely couldn't be happier.

There's nothing in it as regards to quality, but the Wings are less expensive, have 2 sets of dB killers and I think they look better as well. With the large dB killers installed, they sound a bit better too. No difference in performance.

D.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:48 AM   #8
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,467
I went with the Remus Roxx and a CJ Designs Storage Box-

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:31 AM   #9
henryroten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
I would go for a two/one system and get something for the left side of the bike (CJ Storage, Auxiliary fuel tank, etc.) as opposed to a two/two system. One option that is new, Chris at Rottweiler Performance has adapted a Yoshimura single system from a 1190 to a 990 with good results. I ran into him at a KTM shop and the sound, look, performance was wonderful. He also told me that he is developing a small auxiliary tank for the empty side so something to keep in mind.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:33 PM   #10
armourbl
Adventure Life

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryroten View Post
I would go for a two/one system and get something for the left side of the bike (CJ Storage, Auxiliary fuel tank, etc.) as opposed to a two/two system. One option that is new, Chris at Rottweiler Performance has adapted a Yoshimura single system from a 1190 to a 990 with good results. I ran into him at a KTM shop and the sound, look, performance was wonderful. He also told me that he is developing a small auxiliary tank for the empty side so something to keep in mind.
Pics? More info...?

ben
Old 01-22-2015, 05:43 PM   #11
maden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Akrapovic

My vote goes to Akrapovic…

They look great, they sound great, the build quality is awesome, and it is the cans KTM use on their race bikes!

I guess most of all it depends on what look you like…
Old 01-22-2015, 06:52 PM   #12
rdhamg
DoingIt2Up

Oddometer: 13
I am real happy with the Wings,have one season on them about 5000 miles still sound and look good. I went with non-oval because they look cool. Deleviery and service was good. After purchase I was talking to Chris at Rotweiler and he said oval is better for performance,has to do with sound waves and they sell their cans for about same price and made in USA. Two into one is practical and makes sense but two out the back looks sexy!
rdhamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:14 PM   #13
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?

Oddometer: 471
+1 on what Henry says. It has worked VERY well for me. I recommend an open exhaust on the right and extra gas storage on the left. CJ has a welder who can turn your H-pipe into a 2-1 quickly and a very nice welding job as well!

I also liked CJ's "fluid storage reservoir" better than any of the other "fluid storage" options out there, and it has worked VERY well as well.

If nobody posts similar pictures by the time I get home, I'll take some and post them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
Pics? More info...?

ben

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
JoeMongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:57 AM   #14
NeptuneTriton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks everyone for your inputs!!! It looks like it's a toss up in price and quality between the Arrow/Wings cans as they're both about $850 dollars a set. The Akros are of course really nice, but it doesn't sound to me like they're worth almost DOUBLE the price of the other cans. And Remus makes a sweet Ti Can too, thanks for that input!

Ok, so….I originally wanted to do a 2-into-1 with a Neduro/AdvTank on the left side. However, upon further investigation it looks like my TT rack isn't comparable with the fuel tank:mutt

However, thank you for the reminder about Rottweiler and their Baja trip!!! I was following them on their Facebook page and saw a black 990 with a cool aux fuel tank and a 2-into-1. I asked about it but didn't get a response back…so I assumed it was a one-off custom job. However, I called Chris up today and he confirmed that he's about 2-3 months out from offering a brand new 2-into-1 exhaust kit AND a new Auxiliary Fuel tank for the 990's! Very cool! I uploaded some of the pics I could find and started a new thread about 5 minutes ago in case people want to discuss it without coming to this thread (trying to stay on topic here).

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1038819

Old 01-23-2015, 06:24 PM   #15
WanderBeaver
Wanderer

Oddometer: 134
May want to consider even less expensive Leo Vince SBK

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1035119
WanderBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote