User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #1
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,452
BRP triple clamp rubber dampers

I've been trying to diagnose a vibration issue with my bike for quite a while. I just switched back to the OEM triple clamp today (has 0 miles on it), BRP has been on since new (12k miles).

The vibration felt through the bars is significantly less with the OEM clamp. I'm not sure if this is a design difference, if the rubbers on the BRP have worn out or if they were mistorqued. BRP told me they torque to 26nm. OEM spec is 20nm. I torqued the OEM today when I reinstalled it to 10nm (there is a nyloc).

BRP told me that one set of damping rubbers was custom (I think the bottom) and one was a standard Honda part. On mine all the damping rubbers are identical. The bottoms are getting a little chewed up, tops look good.

I'm curious what others experiences are. The vibes on my bike are still present - can feel through pegs and through tank but it's definitely less noticeable in the bars now with the KTM triple clamp.

crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM   #2
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
I installed the BRP triples in December, and I've now got about 11,000 miles on them. The triples came pre-assembled, so I didn't modify the rubbers. I can say that in that time I've felt no additional vibration through the bars. The bike is as smooth now as it was before...BUT...my bike has never been silky smooth. It seems there's always a bit of vibration from the front wheel no matter what tire/tube/whell combo I use, both before and after the BRP.
Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM   #3
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
I installed the BRP triples in December, and I've now got about 11,000 miles on them. The triples came pre-assembled, so I didn't modify the rubbers. I can say that in that time I've felt no additional vibration through the bars. The bike is as smooth now as it was before...BUT...my bike has never been silky smooth. It seems there's always a bit of vibration from the front wheel no matter what tire/tube/whell combo I use, both before and after the BRP.
Thanks, Luke, MortimerSickle and myself all rode mine with the BRPs and then again an hour later with the OEM reinstalled and we all agreed it was a significant improvement.

I'm still getting considerably more vibes through the pegs/tank than on MortimerSickles 950.

So something is definitely different with the BRP. I guess I'll try replacing the rubbers with their latest, torquing them to the spec they recommend and retrying.
Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM   #4
BigWan
The Cripple Maker

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
I've been trying to diagnose a vibration issue with my bike for quite a while. I just switched back to the OEM triple clamp today (has 0 miles on it), BRP has been on since new (12k miles).

The vibration felt through the bars is significantly less with the OEM clamp. I'm not sure if this is a design difference, if the rubbers on the BRP have worn out or if they were mistorqued. BRP told me they torque to 26nm. OEM spec is 20nm. I torqued the OEM today when I reinstalled it to 10nm (there is a nyloc).

BRP told me that one set of damping rubbers was custom (I think the bottom) and one was a standard Honda part. On mine all the damping rubbers are identical. The bottoms are getting a little chewed up, tops look good.

I'm curious what others experiences are. The vibes on my bike are still present - can feel through pegs and through tank but it's definitely less noticeable in the bars now with the KTM triple clamp.
I've been having my own issues with the BRP clamp. Here I keep breaking the bolts. I don't really notice the vibes too much.
Due to my recent experience with BRP, I thought I would let you know the correct torque spec is not 26nm, but rather 26ft. lb.
Hope that helps.
BigWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM   #5
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWan View Post
I've been having my own issues with the BRP clamp. Here I keep breaking the bolts. I don't really notice the vibes too much.
Due to my recent experience with BRP, I thought I would let you know the correct torque spec is not 26nm, but rather 26ft. lb.
Hope that helps.
Thanks for the comment. I saw the original post. Radek was kind enough to send me a pair (thanks again!).

26 ft/lb? Hmmn, that's 35 Nm, quite a lot more than the OEM spec (which I'm assuming is "AH bolt for handlebar mount M10 20Nm"?). Even 20Nm seems like a lot of force compressing the rubber. We torqued the OEM clamps to 10Nm. I guess I need to increase that.

I'm pretty sure that my bike has an unconnected vibration issue but with the BRP clamps it was horrid. A friend compared it to a pair of LC4s recently. It's at least rideable with the OEM clamps now. I can still feel it in the pegs/tank but it's not shaking my hands to bits. I'd like to reinstall the BRP clamps as I have a Scotts damper.

crazybrit screwed with this post Yesterday at 01:07 PM
Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM   #6
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,518
I know you've been hunting this vibe issue for some time but where does it present? All the time, certain revs, idle?
I know suspension is rider specific but how are your neck bearings and forks set up?