ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #466
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddorrons View Post
Ok guys here is the deal, I will try to be as brief as possible yet explain everything. First off I live in Colombia, south America in a City called Cali which is 300 miles away from the Ktm dealer (which BTW sucks). I bought a second hand Ktm 990 adventure 2006 (I imagine it must be the european version because the US got the 990 in 2007) with 10K Kms. I absolutely love the bike and how with it I can turn any part of the city into a playground. I have the Akras Evo without the inserts and the BMC airfilter. I have not updated or changed the maps since the dealer is too far away and they charge close to USD 250 just to connect the bike to the computer. I am having the following issues with the bike and would like your advice as to how to solve them via TuneEcu.
1. The bike stalls sometimes (it coincides when I down shift, or press the clutch). I have been lucky with this issue except for once when this happened as a I was passing a semi-truck.
2. It backfires
3. Fuel consumption, I am getting at the most 15mpg city and 30mpg Highway.

I have read all the posts regarding these issues even before buying the bike. I decided to "tke the risk" since the KTM brand has no comparison, and it definitely shows when riding with boring friends on their BMW 1200 or 800s.

I hope you guys can help me out with the issue, riding the bike to the dealer in its condition, price tag and roads to it is now worth the risk. Please help.
Sounds kind of like how mine was acting when it was getting really bad. Check out my post here.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=638176&page=3

grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:30 AM   #467
Spark01
V-Twin

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by grinns View Post
The last part is right. It is just a way to talk to the ecu. In fact you are asking the ecu to send you the data. It would be pretty easy to write your own datalogger. I thought about doing it, but works busy this time of the year.

I think the data is fast enough for troubleshooting, but not fast enough for tuning. I think Cyborg and Tahoeacr did it the correct way when they tuned there bikes.
That is same as i'm thinking, the obd2 function isn't very fast so if he wants to log to many channels than the data stream will not be smooth.
But that warning is also in the manuals on the inovate site.
What i want to log trough the obd2, is only the map/tps and rpm.
And this (i hope) will not be any problem.

Building your own datalogger.... you will have to know the correct protocols and have to have some programming skills (on the tuneboy site there is a datalogger program together with the VB source code so it's easy to be altered, but i don't know VB and don't have time to figure it out).
Old 02-27-2011, 09:04 AM   #468
Tom-Hamburg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
2-26-11 TuneECUv1.8.6 now released

* Support models Triumph Daytona 600/650, Speed Four, TT600.
* Fixed a bug on I tables (Aprilia Futura).

BR, Tom
Triumph Rocket Roadster
Tom-Hamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #469
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 984
Thanks!

... for all your work and continued support Tom and Alain.

I still see no custom tunes for 990 Adventures...? Or read about anyone's success stories with the dreaded flatspot. Just checked the Tunes list on the website.

Anyone doing more than just balancing and checking TPS etc? (though that is no small thing! Even being able to do that at home is awesome)

I am about to pull the trigger on the 2-1 (or not) and want to be able to tweak it at home. Local bike shop with the Dyno HATES KTM's "I had to work on one once...what a badly designed bike...blah blah blah..." Excellent way to lose a potential customer!

Anyway, that leaves me with seat of the pants testing and hoping I am not lean. The big tanks are a ways off with my budget, so 30-35 mpg is out of the question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Hamburg View Post
2-26-11 TuneECUv1.8.6 now released

* Support models Triumph Daytona 600/650, Speed Four, TT600.
* Fixed a bug on I tables (Aprilia Futura).

BR, Tom
Old 02-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #470
MotorOlly
Sand basher

Oddometer: 32
Thumb

hi RoundOZ
I found my O2 sensors were off on the stock 08 990S UK Akro map, put them back today on in the hope of better mpgs. Any time I've had the lumpy throttle response I've just let it warm up from cold until the fan comes on or two bars light if I can't wait, fixed it every time. I do have the softest throttle cam I could find though.

Sorry if I've missed something but I've not read anythign about anyone setting the secondary throttle butterflies to 100% across the map. I tried this today and it seemed to really pep the bike up. According to posts on the UK KTM forum it seems the 2ndaries are used to limit power on the 09 ABS compared to the R models, that and the rpm limit. I checked cams and heads on the 09s and couldn't find a difference, does suggest TuneECU could turn an ABS into an R :)

So yep TuneECU is an awsome useful tool massive thanks to the lads who made it possible!

BTW I'm working on a plug in fuel gauge for my 990, is that something that would interest anyone as an accessory?
MotorOlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:12 PM   #471
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorOlly View Post
hi RoundOZ
I found my O2 sensors were off on the stock 08 990S UK Akro map, put them back today on in the hope of better mpgs. Any time I've had the lumpy throttle response I've just let it warm up from cold until the fan comes on or two bars light if I can't wait, fixed it every time. I do have the softest throttle cam I could find though.

Sorry if I've missed something but I've not read anythign about anyone setting the secondary throttle butterflies to 100% across the map. I tried this today and it seemed to really pep the bike up. According to posts on the UK KTM forum it seems the 2ndaries are used to limit power on the 09 ABS compared to the R models, that and the rpm limit. I checked cams and heads on the 09s and couldn't find a difference, does suggest TuneECU could turn an ABS into an R :)

So yep TuneECU is an awsome useful tool massive thanks to the lads who made it possible!

BTW I'm working on a plug in fuel gauge for my 990, is that something that would interest anyone as an accessory?
Setting secondary throttle butterflies to 100% is like removing them, it opens them up all the way, all the time. They are not really for limiting power but rather smoothing out the power delivery, and these days more importantly, making the intake noise quieter. I did a lot of testing with and without secondaries active and ended up preferring them active. IMHO it's not worth the worse throttle response profile, noisier bike and maybe a few % extra boost you might be getting with secondaries full open. My 990S with SD cams has no shortage of power for the type of bike it is.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:37 PM   #472
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
One of the Innovate data logs of Cyborg's bike.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:55 AM   #473
Spark01
V-Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeacr View Post
One of the Innovate data logs of Cyborg's bike.
Was this in the early stages of tuning/logging?

Question: maybe i understand something wrong?
Because if i look at the purple graph, i would concluded that the bike is running a bit lean because the most part of the graph is positioned between AFR14-16.
But in the right upper corner is says a AFR of 13,19?
Old 02-28-2011, 05:21 PM   #474
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

I just did a frekkin long post on that for you and when I went to post it I got

Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:27 PM   #475
MotorOlly
Sand basher

Hi Cyborg
Setting the butterflies to 100% is indeed like removing them but not completely the same if my thinking is right. If the butterflies are removed the ECU still thinks they are in use so adjust the fuelling to match, this would mean removing them would make the bike run lean when the throttle is snapped open, and probably at other times. Whether this matters a lot I'm not sure but setting them 100% would be my preferred choice for this reason. Anyway, its all plenty of power though you are right! What cams do you have out of interest, SD 09+?
Olly
Old 02-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #476
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorOlly View Post
Hi Cyborg
Setting the butterflies to 100% is indeed like removing them but not completely the same if my thinking is right. If the butterflies are removed the ECU still thinks they are in use so adjust the fuelling to match, this would mean removing them would make the bike run lean when the throttle is snapped open, and probably at other times. Whether this matters a lot I'm not sure but setting them 100% would be my preferred choice for this reason. Anyway, its all plenty of power though you are right! What cams do you have out of interest, SD 09+?
Olly
The ECU doesn't change the fueling regardless of the butterflies. That is why when some people take them out it is better and some not. You are right though it will lean out the A/F because their there to keep velocity of the Air charge up at part throttle settings.
Cyborg is running 07 SD cams.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #477
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,019
Quote:
The ECU doesn't change the fueling regardless of the butterflies. That is why when some people take them out it is better and some not. You are right though it will lean out the A/F because their there to keep velocity of the Air charge up at part throttle settings.
Cyborg is running 07 SD cams.
Thanks I couldn't remember what year cams they were since you sourced them for me!
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #478
Spark01
V-Twin

Quote:
I just did a frekkin long post on that for you and when I went to post it I got

Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.

that s*cks, i too hate it when a long post gets lost.
maybe you can give it a try later on

Spark01 screwed with this post 03-01-2011 at 02:39 PM
Spark01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #479
sabink
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark01 View Post
that s*cks, i too hate it when a long post gets lost.
maybe give it a try later on
Use Mozila Firefox and when you hit back your text will not be lost.
sabink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:40 AM   #480
MotorOlly
Sand basher

Hi Tahoeacr. Am I right in understanding that you say the secondaries are operating independant of the maps? From the feel of the bike I was guessing it was which ever butterfly was more closed the map reading was taken from its TPS, almost like an OR gate, does that sound wrong then?
Out the other night I got to open it up a bit more, there did seem a little stumbling at lower revs roll on to WOT. I've ordered up a UEGO to plug into a picoscope I have which'll run off a laptop on the back seat and get some data, hopefully get a clearer picture then. It's an innovate unit which can simulate a narrow band output too so the ECU should be able to operate as normal with the o2s switched on, saves me drilling holes in the pipe!
Cyborg, I was under the impression every LC8 of a year had the same cams, eg part nos were the same for 07 SDs and ADVs. Did you get much of a change? Love the avitar btw, personal childhood hero or rather smeeeheee!
Olly