Old 05-24-2011, 10:31 PM   #811
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark01 View Post
That mpg i can only dream of that....

Your wright with to start it simple.

About that 60% it isn't that high if you look at a mapping of a 07'-08' adv.
The switch point at those models are set 63% at 3500rpm and higher.
The 09' models have a much lower switch point of 24% at 3500rpm.
60% on 07-08. I thought no way. I have a 07. My base map must be an early one. KM601US0704501. Switches very early. Now I don't think that switch is set in stone. I got a custom map from Tuneboy. Same base map as mine. He had changed quite a bit in the L maps. I only imported his L maps but kept the rest of mine the same. My f-l switch was set at 2k yet there were changes in the 3k+ range that I saw. Areas were real lean. I figure his L maps needed to coincide with his F maps. I tried his whole map and it was pretty good response/smooth but the mpg was Akropovicish.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:51 AM   #812
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 2,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post
Has anyone tried this map:

Usrael_Ori_KM601EU0902001MapEVO1.hex

in a 990? I have a 2010 and I've gotta try something....anything...

Don't really care that much about absolute power but would sure like to get rid of the weird throttle response around 4-5k at small throttle openings

Thanks!

Steve
I haven't tried that map, I'm running the 990 R map on my 2010 990 A and I have very few complaints about that mapping. I did make several other changes, so YMMV. You can find my post a page or two back in this thread here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=785
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:02 AM   #813
Dotbond
Africa, Africa

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeacr View Post
Smooth throttle with a best mpg of 68.2 round trip was 58mpg.
Is this on your 990?
US or Imperial MPG?

I may have missed this somewhere, but what mods have you done to your bike, apart from the fuel maps?

Thanks
Trev.

2008 N.Z.Yamaha Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306905
2007 N.Z.Adventures Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201557
Dotbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:04 AM   #814
Dotbond
Africa, Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
So, a new Innovate LM-2 is on the way
Which LM2 kit did get? LM-2 "Basic", LM-2 Kit (Single Wideband O2) or Duo Kit (Dual Wideband O2)

Did you buy any other bits?

2007 N.Z.Adventures Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201557
Old 05-28-2011, 07:49 AM   #815
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,003
Quote:
60% your in the throttle pretty hard.
Too many data points for a novice tuner. I'm trying to keep this simple for someone who has never tuned a bike. You would have to convert from 0-4 volts from the data logging. Lean out MAP too much and your EGT's will get too high on a downhill. I leave the F-L alone. I also use the butterflies. I think KTM's wisdom is best at this. Butterflies keep the velocity up at low throttle. My closed loop is working fine. Smooth throttle with a best mpg of 68.2 round trip was 58mpg. Plus 20% more whp with my mods. How can you argue with that? I know you are not arguing but just asking questions.
can't get my head around all of this tuning stuff

I wouldn't mind shipping my bike and me self halfway around the world to Tahoe if you'd tune my bike !!!
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #816
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post

I wouldn't mind shipping my bike and me self halfway around the world to Tahoe if you'd tune my bike !!!

This is where I've been. Frustrated with the small throttle opening surge-snatch, running hot, suspect most of this could be fixed with a little tuning. Own Tuneecu and a cable, but haven't had the time to spend until last night.

All of this talk about tuning each cylinder, datalogging, hours of dyno time, etc have me seriously intimidated. I'm not disparaging these approaches but sheesh...how much accuracy is really needed to improve my experience on the bike?

It dawned on me that I've jetted bike for years without any of this hoo-haw and have had pretty good results. Better (or as good as) a dyno? Of course not. But bad enough that taking a swing at this via tuneEcu would be a bad idea? No.

So, I got home from a day out on the bike last night, hooked up the battery tender, ran an extension cord for the laptop, grabbed a chair ("on Keihin ECUs, this process may take 20 minutes...") pulled the abs cover, and plugged 'er in. I was already online searching for the port settings to make the cable work, but it just....connected right up.

Played with the software a little to make sure it was actually talking to the bike, before messing with anything, and...it all worked perfectly.

...told it to read the map off the ecu, opened up my book and took a sip of soda, and....it was done.

Really? This is the part that "may take 20 minutes..."??

Really.

Saved the map, loaded the akro R map just for kicks. Didn't even have time to open the book.

Oh. My. Goodness.

This SO blows the jetting process--especially on a V motor--out of the water. There's just NO comparison. Can't be done.

===

So, now I need someone to walk me through the software in a little more depth than is available in the documentation. The docs assume a certain familiarity with the process of FI tuning which I do not have. I DO have a good understanding of carb tuning, but I'm having a hard time visualizing how this relates to the software.

It doesn't help that, although a lot of the info is right here in this thread, there is some that conflicts with others and I have no way of telling who is correct.

On the map view, bigger numbers=more fuel, right? I read that the numbers are milliseconds of injector activation but that is clearly impossible, but a bigger number=more fuel=richer mixture, correct?

I don't get the graphic view; the curves vs colors isn't speaking to me, but that could just be me...

O2 sensors off = full time L map? Full time open mode, anyway, right?
===

Again, I'm grateful for all of the work tahoe and others are putting into this and am NOT running down the full-court, datalogging, dynotuning, figure it out to 3 decimals approach at all; I wish I had the time and expertise to go that route. I just want to be able to coast into town after a long ride and not be grinding my teeth all the way to the house over the lousy low end fueling.

This is an amazing tool; if you are on the fence just buy the cable and give it a try. As long as you pay attention and don't change stuff, and you can read and follow directions (carefully)--and note that there's stuff in this thread that's not in the directions whch you might need to know--you'll be fine. There are indications in this thread (haven't tried them yet) that simply turning off the O2 sensors can help dramatically on the 2010's. This is so much easier than carbs that you could get in deep, quick, but save your work and work incrementally.

It's really worth a try. I'd lvoe to try to get a short primer with the cream of the thread up but I don't yet have the understanding to do that. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve
Bad decisions make good stories.

Alleycatdad screwed with this post 05-28-2011 at 10:28 AM
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #817
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotbond View Post
Is this on your 990?
US or Imperial MPG?

I may have missed this somewhere, but what mods have you done to your bike, apart from the fuel maps?

Thanks
Trev.
US gallons. Different airbox, cams and exhaust. Battleaxe street tires and the standard low seat. My bike is an S and the lower seat keeps me behind the wind screen better. Stayed at the posted speed limits. 50-65mph. 17 tooth counter. Tank bbag and back pack but no trunk or panniers sticking out. The 68 mpg I think was an anomaly that I won't ever be able to back up. Nice tail wind apparently. Mid 50's is the normal that I'm trying to push to 60. Fuel flow sensor mounted on the bike helps with this.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #818
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post

KTM Rally here in September. Now you have two reasons.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #819
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,148
Quote:
KTM Rally here in September. Now you have two reasons.
ahah.. Seriously (as I am planning on attending the KTM Rally), you might want to be a ECU/FI workshop for interested attendees. And even charge a fee for your time and input. I'd be the first to attend!

I've spent a lot of time on TuneECU and I am so grateful for it. A lot of issues have been eliminated. Getting 50+mpg would be a dream for the long distance trips I have in mind.

are we on?

p.s. thank you for all your input on this thread as well. It's helped me make some real steps forward.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #820
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
ahah.. Seriously (as I am planning on attending the KTM Rally), you might want to be a ECU/FI workshop for interested attendees. And even charge a fee for your time and input. I'd be the first to attend!

I've spent a lot of time on TuneECU and I am so grateful for it. A lot of issues have been eliminated. Getting 50+mpg would be a dream for the long distance trips I have in mind.

are we on?

p.s. thank you for all your input on this thread as well. It's helped me make some real steps forward.
I need tuning help and would be happy to chip in (pay) buy beers,
kowtow to the master, whatever.

Max
Old 05-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #821
Dotbond
Africa, Africa

Quote:
Different airbox, cams and exhaust.
Are you willing to elaborate on these 3 items a bit? Especially the airbox and cams.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #822
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post

are we on?

How many would be interested? This might be a good idea.

Since it is snowing outside might as well add to this. Now for some more tuning tips. At the least, we have to mark the throttle grip to know what TPS we are at while riding. I understand if a guy doesn't want to spend the coin on a wide-band data logging set up especially if it will be a one time use. My housing has marks that coincide with the grip for different settings. The first thick line represents 5,10 and 15% TPS. When the grip mark first touches the throttle housing mark this is 5%. When they are even 10%. Just at the end is 15%. Other marks are 25,50 and 75%. This way when your riding down the road and feel a surge you can look down and see that your at 3,500RPM with 10% TPS. Now go back and add a little fuel at 10%TPS vs 3,500RPM. Also you can use it to find where the throttle jerk is.

The read out on my EIS from l to r is RPM, Elevation and secret weapon fuel flow. 0.5 is 1/2 gallon an hour.
Second line is oiltemp/pressure, rate of climb, airbox temp.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #823
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,418
Gettin' better! Thanks.

Steve
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #824
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotbond View Post
Are you willing to elaborate on these 3 items a bit? Especially the airbox and cams.
07 Superduke cams

One of these airboxes but I had mine before this guy was building them. I built a carbon fibre raised roof similar to the aluminum one he is doing.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=692188
Old 05-30-2011, 03:45 AM   #825
Dotbond
Africa, Africa

Quote:
07 Superduke cams

One of these airboxes but I had mine before this guy was building them. I built a carbon fibre raised roof similar to the aluminum one he is doing.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=692188
What was your reason/aim for installing the Superduke cams?