Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2011, 08:05 AM   #1156
Spark01
V-Twin

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodollardoug View Post
yes, i am a member of sd.net also. i have an 08 sd also. i to have removed the secondary shafts on both bike. our advs are almost identical. i would really like to see the difference between your new map (that waynes going to make) and my map. mine is a dynojet split map imported into tuneecu.
here is your answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power-Tripp View Post

Tested secondary throttle blade settings from stock to 100% above 10% main throttle opening. The results show little difference from 4000-6000 rpm. But elsewhere... ;)
So removing the shafts isn't going to bring much, just some weight loss
Old 08-26-2011, 07:02 AM   #1157
Tom-Hamburg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
08-25-2011 TuneECU 1.9.9 now Released

08-25-2011 TuneECU 1.9.9 now Released

Note: Support for the new maps Tiger 800 / 800 XC.

BR, Tom
Triumph Rocket Roadster
Tom-Hamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:00 PM   #1158
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,377
This thread is far to important to be on the third page.

ON topic: As soon as I get another tank or two on the 2011 "r-ified" stock map for a baseline, I'm gonna try one of the custom maps recently posted here.

2011 map is so much better than the 2010 mine came with--avg around 36 mpg with much better driveability.

Steve
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:36 AM   #1159
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 933
Alley,
What was your mileage with the 2010 map? (sorry if I lost where you may have stated it...this thread is getting pretty long). My 09 averages around 42 on the highway and the open 2-1 has changed that very little, while smoothing out the driveability so much it has really delayed me even trying TuneEcu - when I get a chance I would still like to try some map changes to push closer to 50. I understand it is do-able, but maybe not without datalogging or dyno work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post
This thread is far to important to be on the third page.

ON topic: As soon as I get another tank or two on the 2011 "r-ified" stock map for a baseline, I'm gonna try one of the custom maps recently posted here.

2011 map is so much better than the 2010 mine came with--avg around 36 mpg with much better driveability.

Steve
Old 09-02-2011, 03:21 AM   #1160
Dotbond
Africa, Africa

Oddometer: 733
I put the 2011 Std map into my 2010 R a couple of weeks ago and had a couple of decent rides last weekend. Alot of gravel riding.

The bike has Wings with 32mm inserts and the Uni-prefilter.

The snatch when coming back on the throttle is all but gone. Only felt it slightly noticable at one point, once, during the weekend, and I was looking hard for it. So I can't even say where in the rev range it was. So the gravel riding was a joy.

Surging is still there between 3000 and 4000rpm, but not as bad? hard to say.

Overall a good improvement. No idea on the mileage with that map. Previous cruising mileage was 52mpg, Imperial.

2008 N.Z.Yamaha Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306905
2007 N.Z.Adventures Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201557
Dotbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:07 AM   #1161
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
Alley,
What was your mileage with the 2010 map? (sorry if I lost where you may have stated it...this thread is getting pretty long). My 09 averages around 42 on the highway and the open 2-1 has changed that very little, while smoothing out the driveability so much it has really delayed me even trying TuneEcu - when I get a chance I would still like to try some map changes to push closer to 50. I understand it is do-able, but maybe not without datalogging or dyno work?
US MPG, BTW.

The original map was so bad that I didn't keep track; rideability just sucked so mileage for me was irrelevant.

I went through a few gyrations with TuneEcu and got to a map I liked a lot; it got 45 mpg hwy cruising and 30-32 mpg in my typical riding--aggressive pavement twisties and dirt. Not great, but the driveablility was very good.

The 2011 map became available and had good reviews, and since the strongest point of TuneEcu is that we really can just swap maps with no worries of getting back to where we started, I "R-ified" it and tossed it in there.

Results:
~36 avg mpg. Very good driveability, more small-throttle surge than my modified map, but not terrible. If my bike had come with this map, I'd have never messed with it.

That said, I see two paths from here. First, and most promising, is to try the power-tripp maps. Since I have dual Q4s and not the akraps or a single wings pipe, these may not be a great fit, but they are easy to try.
Second is to look at where my map and the 2011 map differ, compare that to the riding experience, and start making changes. Seriously tempted to start with 2nd throttle settings....

Anyway, I'm happy enough that this is no longer a priority.

Steve

PS:

2010 990 Adventure
16/45
Q4 pipes, sparkies in.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:21 PM   #1162
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 933
Thanks Steve,
That is good info.
Mark
Old 09-06-2011, 08:00 AM   #1163
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

So since you guys got me thinking about it again, I spent some time looking at maps. It's interesting to me how close I got to the power-tripp akra map through tuning by the seat of my pants; they are not the same, but mine was a lot closer to the power-tripp map than it is to stock...

Anyway, I say above that the 2011 map, "R-ified", is good enough that I wouldn't mess with it had the bike been delivered with it, and I'll stick by that. However...

Yesterday, after much thought, I tossed in the power-tripp akra map.

Coupla important notes up front:

My setup is NOT consistent with the bike this map was created on. In NO WAY are any comments about my experience with the power tripp maps intended to be anything other than a record of my experience; and particularly are they NOT intended to reflect in any manner that might be less than positive towards power-tripp. He's spent a bunch of time and effort here for no reward other than our thanks, and I'm using what he's given us in an inapproriate manner, so any negative comments should be directed to me, not him. Period.

My setup:

2010 990 Adv
16/45 gearing
Stock Airfilter, no prefilter
FMF Q4, inserts in.

After the 15 min idle yesterday I had to park the bike, but I did manage to put 20 miles into my four block commute this morning, including about 5 miles of dirt. The new map is immediately noticeable, with more power everywhere, and less surge through town. It's a much better on the street than the 2011 map as that map was over stock. Really. Because the 2011 map is so much better driveability-wise, the driveability side of the equation is less significant, but it sounds better and comes on harder everywhere.

the potential downside of this is that it really does come on harder everywhere, including down low and just rolling into the smallest throttle openings offroad. It's not "snatchy", per se, like the stock map was, but it's not butter (read: carb) smooth, either. It's too soon to tell if this will be an issue; the map is SO good in the power that it's gonna be hard to go back.

I need to run this map for a while to get a few tanks through and see what it's doing mileage-wise; I'm suspicious that it's rich (wouldn't know it by how it runs...) because of the difference between my bike and the bike it was developed on. It feels *just* a little soft at large throttle openings and high rpms, but it's still much better than stock...

Guess we'll see...

Thanks Power-Tripp!!!

Steve
Old 09-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #1164
Bronco3738
Mike

Oddometer: 496
Good info. Which Power Tripp map are you using? I was looking at the map list and there is one for Akro's without baffles and one with Wings and spark arrestors. I was going to try the Wings Map from Power Tripp. Our bikes are set up the same on the big stuff. Let us know what kind of mileage you get out of the new map.

Mike

Honeymoon Ride Report

Crazy Europeans Tour Utah
Bronco3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #1165
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

I'm using the Akro map since the Wings map is for a single can. It seemed like the best starting point...

That said, Tune Ecu is so easy, and both maps are richer than stock and therefore likely safe to try, that I'll probably try them both eventually...

Steve
Old 09-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #1166
nevermind
Swamp Thing

Oddometer: 2,704
Under or at 75 mph, I was getting 40+ mpg with the Wings can + insert.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #1167
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
Under or at 75 mph, I was getting 40+ mpg with the Wings can + insert.
I probably missed it, but what gearing are you running? Stock air filter?

Single can, right?

Thanks!

Steve
Old 09-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #1168
nevermind
Swamp Thing

Oddometer: 2,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post
I probably missed it, but what gearing are you running? Stock air filter?

Single can, right?

Thanks!

Steve
Yep, single can, BMC filter, two teeth up in back.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #1169
azmotomike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
the right map

Ok, my cable is complete and i am talking to my 08 990 ECU. Building the cable was a snap.

Now the whole reason i am doing this is to find a solution to the hesitation that lives just off zero throttle. The G throttle tube helped some but seemed to change the range where the hesitation/flat spot is. My exhaust is stock.

Can i use any map from a 2011 Adventure or R model? Fuel mileage is not a huge concern but a smoother throttle and bonus ponies would be nice.
azmotomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:01 PM   #1170
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmotomike View Post
Can i use any map from a 2011 Adventure or R model? Fuel mileage is not a huge concern but a smoother throttle and bonus ponies would be nice.
unfortunately, you can only use 07-08 maps