Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #1186
Bronco3738
Mike

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex View Post
Your symptoms are not uncommon, and tuneecu is not the answer. What we are looking at here is a fundamental design flaw. It is unclear if the flaw is in the FI itself or in the serpentine cam drive arrangement. Nonetheless, "tuning" the bike with tuneeceu or at the dealer is a total waste of time.
Says the GS lover. Dude if you don't have anything constructive to say, don't post. Your always bitching about the bike and you don't even own one. Can't help it if you rode some that fueled poorly, but it been proven several times in this thread alone that TuneECU can fix the drivability issues. Yes "tuning" the bike is the answer.

Quote:
I've never ridden a 990 that did not have horribly snatchy throttle response, and I've ridden a few. When I hear someone praising this bike I immediately know that it is either a "roadie" or a fire road blaster. This bike simply cannot be ridden in technical terrain.

I do not believe the problem is fixable either. Forget throttle cam changes and the like - they are a waste of time and money. My take on it is that it is a fundamental throttle body design flaw which leans the bike when transitioning from idle to low RPM. The 950 with carbs is a much better choice IMO. Frankly, a 990 would drive me nuts in many of the places where I would ride it.
Just a typical post from you about the 990. I ride mine on technical terrain and sometimes do 2-up. There are lots of people here that do also.

Honeymoon Ride Report

Crazy Europeans Tour Utah

Bronco3738 screwed with this post 09-10-2011 at 10:40 AM
Bronco3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #1187
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
+1 Bronco3738. Being that you are from Az. you probably don't know that technical terrain for a Northern California BMW owner is negotiating the line at the Starbucks drive thru. The "curb feeler" cylinder heads usually help with this undaunting task as they have to get close to the hostess in the window to tell her how the fundamental design flaw of the parking lot could be changed to better suit "their" needs.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #1188
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
Just a typical post from you about the 990. I ride mine on technical terrain and sometimes do 2-up. There are lots of people here that do also.

Now thats what its all about-im with ya brother.
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #1189
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,391
Update on the Power Tripp akro map....

Haven't been able to ride much at all since I installed the map; forgot to reset the odo at the fillup before the swap, so no mileage yet.

I did get a 30 miles dirt loop in tonite; including moderately rocky and steep climbs/descents and am very happy about the fueling. I retract my prior speculation that this map may be overly abrupt just off-idle for the dirt.

Recommended!

Steve

2010 990
FMF Q4, sparkies in
Stock Air filter
16/45
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:52 AM   #1190
bouboule
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Hi, i'm very impatient to try your future 08' map. If I can help you to make it, just say me !!

Thanks for your help about our ADV !
bouboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #1191
Helios
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeacr View Post
+1 Bronco3738. Being that you are from Az. you probably don't know that technical terrain for a Northern California BMW owner is negotiating the line at the Starbucks drive thru. The "curb feeler" cylinder heads usually help with this undaunting task as they have to get close to the hostess in the window to tell her how the fundamental design flaw of the parking lot could be changed to better suit "their" needs.
Too funny and too true... I used to ride a 1200 GSA and was on G-spot all the time... I can say from experience that he (tmex) is a pain and I put him on mute a long.. long .. time ago...

-H

~ Thomas Jefferson

2010 KTM 990 ADV
2003 YAMAHA WR450F
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #1192
gixxersteph
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Your symptoms are not uncommon, and tuneecu is not the answer. What we are looking at here is a fundamental design flaw. It is unclear if the flaw is in the FI itself or in the serpentine cam drive arrangement. Nonetheless, "tuning" the bike with tuneeceu or at the dealer is a total waste of time.
The fueling on my 1996 R1100RT sucked. I took it to at least four dealers none of which could get it running right. Sold it. Several bikes later I got a KTM Superduke. Fueling wasn't optimal either but I was able to make it much better than it had been. And I am not selling it either

To each their own .
gixxersteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #1193
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,472
The running quality of the 990 engine can be improved from stock with OEM equipment (ECU). I have done so on several 990 ADVs... taken them from snatchy/twitch to nice and smooth.. but, each is different, but the base map change applied to all of them has made a significant improvement, so, yes, it is very possible to "fix" the 990 EFI problems, despite what some "i've ridden a couple" people might say.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:02 AM   #1194
miguez
Miguez Rally Racing

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeacr View Post
Holy crap, sorry to repeat this again, but I almost pissed my pants, what an awesome response!

Just to add a bit to the thread instead of taking up more space, I'm also a 2008 990 owner, and am eagerly awaiting results from Power-Tripp's October runs on the 07-08 maps. I'm in Toledo, OH, and have debated putting her on the trailer and riding down, but it's a bit too far for my free time right now.

And for those wondering why I'd put her in the trailer, well, she's not street legal right now, and won't be again. A little project I have going, will unveil it soon.

My 2012 Vegas 2 Reno adventure (on a 990 Adventure) starts here!
miguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #1195
evildingo
On a road to no-where

Oddometer: 420
Question

Has any one tried this .
http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.co...tegories&id=98
Old 09-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #1196
Bronco3738
Mike

You can do the same thing and more with TuneECU, plus it's cheaper. They claim "richens fuel cuircuit to provide a smother throttle opertation and more usable power" which is fairly easy to do with TuneECU.

On the other-hand I didn't know our bikes had famous KTM fuel injection "stuble". Which is kind of opposite of what most have which is too responsive throttle.

Honeymoon Ride Report

Old 09-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #1197
mgib
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124

Waiting for my cable. Then hoping for something (Diagnostics and maybe Wayne's 08 map) to cure/smooth the snatchiest bike I've ever ridden. Actually was hoping that the G2 had the wrong cam, but it's already a 400. Good thing these big bikes have stout clutches.
mgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #1198
evildingo
On a road to no-where

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco3738 View Post
You can do the same thing and more with TuneECU, plus it's cheaper. They claim "richens fuel cuircuit to provide a smother throttle opertation and more usable power" which is fairly easy to do with TuneECU.

On the other-hand I didn't know our bikes had famous KTM fuel injection "stuble". Which is kind of opposite of what most have which is too responsive throttle.
No prob Mate , I just want a total cure , not a bunch of mods that help ease the symptoms .. I dont here any complaints from the rc8 lads .

Its like the quest for KTM's holy grail..

now I'm just a dog chasing his tail, woof woof
Old 09-12-2011, 06:20 PM   #1199
Bronco3738
Mike

Just trying to save you some cash. I know it's a lot of reading but there are several examples of curing the fueling with changing the mapping.

Which year bike do you have?
There may be a different map you can try that will get you what you want. Check Alleycatdad's post to see what he did and the results he got. If you have a 2009-2011 Power-Trip has a nice map out, and the 2011 standard map has gotten good reviews. All three of these are richer than the older maps to different degrees, but not fat like the Akro map.

Honeymoon Ride Report

Old 09-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #1200
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,959
Interesting to read all the different maps people are trying, but it still seems like it's still mostly seat-of-the-pants dyno and feelings and it's hard to get a good tune that way. I know that dyno time or installing a wideband data recorder on the bike can be too much time, effort and $$ for many, but that's the only way to get a really great map for a particular given bike, especially if the've been modded in any way; higher flow cans, 2-into-1, SD cams etc. In any case, keep up the good work!
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote