ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2015, 08:59 AM   #1
Rev OP
Asshole

Oddometer: 252
NEED QUICK ADVICE, should I trade my bike for a Vstrom

OK, so in January my KLR shit the bed and I was fed up. This thing was farkled to the max, front to back nothing left untouched.

Well, I sold it and paid cash outright for a FJ09, #18 made. Love this bike, but I cant go off road at all. Granted I didnt go off that much with the KLR, but I COULD with it. I needed a commuter that could take me camping

So I went to another dealer and they offered to do a straight trade on a 2012 NEW (0 miles, never fueled) DL1000, in red (bleh)

Being 6ft and 300lbs on a bad day, I figure this would be the perfect bike, but what do I know.

Help me guys, I only have a few hours to decide.

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:02 AM   #2
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,947
Bad deal. . . You will want the new 2014 V-Strom. As soon as you ride the '12 Vee . . . It will drop in value to mid 6K.

The DL650 is better off road due to the lighter weight.
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:04 AM   #3
Rev OP
Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
Bad deal. . . You will want the new 2014 V-Strom. As soon as you ride the '12 Vee . . . It will drop in value to mid 6K.

The DL650 is better off road due to the lighter weight.
ive read that but I do more long trips with occasional off roading to get to camp, which was what I factored in on the size (plus my size)

and believe me, I WANT the 14, but its more and Im not putting anymore money towards bikes. this ones paid off title in hand. Guess ill stick with the fj for now.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:34 AM   #4
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,303
I agree with McMann.
Money wise you will be taking a huge hit.

As far as the bikes go, I don't believe you would find the 2012 DL1000 that much better off road than an FJ09 anyways.
The only plus is its 19" front, everything else from overall weight to CG is worse on the DL1000 Strom.

When you say the FJ wont go offroad at all, I understand that the 17" front can be really tough in soft stuff and a 19" does help.
That said many folks, myself included, have run off pavement with the Versys and I cant see where FJ09 would be that much worse.

Tires help, I dont know what the FJ09 runs but perhaps its front profile is very "V" shaped and I have found those are particularly awful in the soft stuff

I would try some TKC's on it and see if that changes your impression.
If you dont want to get that crazy with the tires I found the pirelli scorpion trail tires increase the off pavement abilities without giving up much if anything on pavement.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:39 AM   #5
Rev OP
Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl View Post
I agree with McMann.
Money wise you will be taking a huge hit.

As far as the bikes go, I don't believe you would find the 2012 DL1000 that much better off road than an FJ09 anyways.
The only plus is its 19" front, everything else from overall weight to CG is worse on the DL1000 Strom.

When you say the FJ wont go offroad at all, I understand that the 17" front can be really tough in soft stuff and a 19" does help.
That said many folks, myself included, have run off pavement with the Versys and I cant see where FJ09 would be that much worse.

Tires help, I dont know what the FJ09 runs but perhaps its front profile is very "V" shaped and I have found those are particularly awful in the soft stuff

I would try some TKC's on it and see if that changes your impression.
If you dont want to get that crazy with the tires I found the pirelli scorpion trail tires increase the off pavement abilities without giving up much if anything on pavement.
The Fj is a "sport touring" bike with the lowest point being the drain plug. ask me how I know.

This thing is more or less a tamed sport bike, the fz09's brother.

Well fuck. did all that negotiating for nothing then I guess. I hate being that guy.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:45 AM   #6
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Vee1 is the KLR on steroids. Also more comfy than both and with much better rigging capability. 19" is a de-facto offroad standard, hard to overcome this even with better suspension. But fj has got the abs, better on fuel, more modern so holds more value as has been already mentioned. Sticking to it would not be a wrong thing, especially if your indifferent to the Vee1.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:46 AM   #7
aka Yamadog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
This

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=74834

It belongs to an inmate. I'm sure there is a FS here as well. Probably a build thread too. Sell the Yammie.

Bottom line: Don't be rushed into a decision. You have more options than they are presenting.
aka Yamadog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:49 AM   #8
Rev OP
Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolzen View Post
Vee1 is the KLR on steroids. Also more comfy than both and with much better rigging capability. 19" is a de-facto offroad standard, hard to overcome this even with better suspension. But fj has got the abs, better on fuel, more modern so holds more value as has been already mentioned. Sticking to it would not be a wrong thing, especially if your indifferent to the Vee1.
what I want is the new DL, that looks killer, but its not going to happen any time soon. I just want to have something I can get around on, do more than 70mph when needed (never got much over that on the KLR) and be able to take me camping.

At this point, the only camping Ill be able to do on the fj is KOA and im not that guy. but, at least until something perfect comes along, it looks like Ill keep her.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:04 AM   #9
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,346
The DLs aren't as capable as the KLRs in dirt, but most of us get around okay on them. That would be my only negative. If that's no big deal for you make the deal.
Taking a big hit on resale wouldn't matter to me if I planned on keeping the bike for awhile. It starts to even out over the years.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:17 AM   #10
dhillr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
Everyone has an opinion and the only one that matters I yours...

I loved both of my V-Stroms and enjoyed them more than my 2008 KLR.

Stroms are great all-around bikes that do "pretty good" offroad....for a road bike. Even after spending several thousands of dollars on suspension, tires, and protection..... it was still a road bike that did "pretty good" offroad. I reached the cost/benefit limit of what I was willing to spend on my Wee and finally sold it off. I do miss it sometimes.

I also completely agree with the depreciation comments above....it's a sad truth. Barely covered the cost of aftermarket pets when I sold my 2008 Wee with 25k miles.

dhillr screwed with this post 04-03-2015 at 10:32 AM
dhillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:29 AM   #11
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 5,264
Personally, I wouldn't make the trade for a 2012 DL1000 from an FJ-09. I've owned 5 vstrom's (4 DL650's & 1 DL1000). IMOP, the 1st gen DL1000's were okay, but way disappointing comparing to the DL650's. Your FJ09 has to be a much better bike to ride, is more modern, better FI, better handling and will hold its value better for sure. I haven't been on a 2014+ DL1000 myself yet, but it sounds like Suzuki did their homework on that model and everyone loves them.

If you really want a strom and the 19" front tire, plus want to stick to your budget, maybe look at a 2012+ DL650. They made some nice upgrades and it's still a very capable bike. The strom (even the 650) will walk all over a KLR on the highway on comfort and capability.

I'm not sure why you think the FJ-09 is going to really limit your camping options unless you are trying to go beat your way back in the bush on some single track. Even a Vstrom with street tires is a pig off road if it gets slick at all.

My wife has followed me many places off road with her Ninja 650R and that bike has an under slung exhaust on it.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 04-03-2015 at 12:44 PM
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:05 PM   #12
Rev OP
Asshole

well i went and spoke to a friend of mine about this, the guy that sold me the bike and monday he has a trade in coming that he thinks he can straight swap for, and one I like.

hows a 2012 Super Tenere strike ya? Farkled too

Old 04-03-2015, 12:45 PM   #13
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 5,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
well i went and spoke to a friend of mine about this, the guy that sold me the bike and monday he has a trade in coming that he thinks he can straight swap for, and one I like.

hows a 2012 Super Tenere strike ya? Farkled too
Now that is a change I would do in a heart beat.

In fact, I'm looking to upgrade from my 09 DL650 to a 2012+ Tenere! I have a couple friends with the Tenere and I really like them. The Tenere is heavy (especially on paper), but the weight disappears once you start moving and they actually feel much better off road than the stroms do! They are surprisingly easy to ride off road in the right hands.

I also really like the ABS on the Tenere. Hit the front brake first and you get full linked brakes with ABS on both front & rear. Hit the rear first and the bike allows you to skid the rear just enough before the ABS kicks in and the brakes aren't linked. It's a cool setup.

The TC is a little annoying that you have to stopped to change it and it always defaults back to the nanny state, but you can easily change it.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:47 PM   #14
Rev OP
Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Now that is a change I would do in a heart beat.

In fact, I'm looking to upgrade from my 09 DL650 to a 2012+ Tenere! The Tenere is heavy, but the weight disappears once you start moving and they actually feel much better off road than the stroms do!
yeah, supposedly hes going to make it a straight swap more or less, barring taxes. If thats the case Ill have a tenere thats been owned by a service manager at another bike dealership and it comes with hard cases, liners, skid plate, bars and i think even a gps. not sure on that one tho. but still, it may be the best option yet.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:54 PM   #15
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,947
Much better!

You will enjoy the ST . . . Great bike.
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote