User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
Bob Herr OP
Oilpatch Univ. Graduate

Oddometer: 264
Cagiva Gran Canyon Headlight Question

Bought a 1999 Gran Canyon last month. In the process of checking it out I noticed that on high beam only the right side headlight is on. On low beam only the left side headlight is on. Is this normal operation? Seems to me that both lights would be on at high beam. Guess I just assumed that both lights would be on all of the time with extra filaments coming on at high beam. Wondering if I have a bulbs with the high and low beam beam filaments burned out. Any comments would be appreciated. - Bob

Much Too Young(To Feel This Damn Old)
Bob Herr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
neepuk
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herr View Post
Bought a 1999 Gran Canyon last month. In the process of checking it out I noticed that on high beam only the right side headlight is on. On low beam only the left side headlight is on. Is this normal operation? Seems to me that both lights would be on at high beam. Guess I just assumed that both lights would be on all of the time with extra filaments coming on at high beam. Wondering if I have a bulbs with the high and low beam beam filaments burned out. Any comments would be appreciated. - Bob
Normal.
The Gran Canyons don't have the most desirable electrical systems in their stock form and have difficulties running too much at once... Upgrade the electrical system and add more lighting.
neepuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,152
Cagiva_Gran_Canyon2@yahoogroups.com

I no longer have a GC, but go here to get lots of info and support.
Cagiva_Gran_Canyon2@yahoogroups.com
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:39 AM   #4
MHfan305
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Could you modify the headlights on a Cagiva Canyon 500 to where both headlights are going at the same time? And with that have 2 low beam bulbs in...with even light coming out? Since The Left has the low beam side and the right headlight is the high beam side (as stated above) the headlight fixtures are different. The high beam light fixture has different things on the glass to reduce light getting out? Or to direct it different. Anyways, would there be even light coming out from both headlights with low beam bulbs? Would they look the same, or the high beam headlight fixture with the low beam bulb would be duller due to light being held back?
MHfan305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #5
MHfan305
n00b

Anyone? Need an answer soon please :)
Old 04-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #6
Gmc28
Gmower

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHfan305 View Post
Could you modify the headlights on a Cagiva Canyon 500 to where both headlights are going at the same time? And with that have 2 low beam bulbs in...with even light coming out? Since The Left has the low beam side and the right headlight is the high beam side (as stated above) the headlight fixtures are different. The high beam light fixture has different things on the glass to reduce light getting out? Or to direct it different. Anyways, would there be even light coming out from both headlights with low beam bulbs? Would they look the same, or the high beam headlight fixture with the low beam bulb would be duller due to light being held back?
On a 500, I don't know, but the 904 you can mod to keep both lights on at same time, and lots of folks do that. I have not at this point, but from what i've read its not too tricky.
As you've stated, the high beam and low beam setups are different, so the light would not look the same out of both sides. Making them look the same would not necessarily be easy, though i suppose it would straightforward.
But i installed an HID on the high beam side, and with its characteristic HID broad beam spread, its more of a low beam, even though its brighter. Presumably this is simply because the light is not as directed. I run with the "high" beam most of the time, with that HID installed, as its much easier for others to see me (friends riding ahead of me on a dusty road, or cagers on the highway). That draws less amperage from the bike, and i never get flashed for blinding opposite direction traffic since the beam dispersal is so broad. But for riding at night i don't have a true high beam option any more.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:31 PM   #7
MHfan305
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmc28 View Post
On a 500, I don't know, but the 904 you can mod to keep both lights on at same time, and lots of folks do that. I have not at this point, but from what i've read its not too tricky.
As you've stated, the high beam and low beam setups are different, so the light would not look the same out of both sides. Making them look the same would not necessarily be easy, though i suppose it would straightforward.
But i installed an HID on the high beam side, and with its characteristic HID broad beam spread, its more of a low beam, even though its brighter. Presumably this is simply because the light is not as directed. I run with the "high" beam most of the time, with that HID installed, as its much easier for others to see me (friends riding ahead of me on a dusty road, or cagers on the highway). That draws less amperage from the bike, and i never get flashed for blinding opposite direction traffic since the beam dispersal is so broad. But for riding at night i don't have a true high beam option any more.
Maybe I can find a fabrication shop that can make custom head lights for me? I would want projection headlights with low/high beam in each light fixture. There isnt any after market parts for this bike so a custom bike shop will be my best bet.