Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2010, 02:48 AM   #136
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
No idea what you mean...
I do. If there is another 'old school' big trail bike just as iconic as the XRV650/750 Africa Twin and the 750 Super Tenere, it must be that incredible Suzuki DR Big... A fat, 800cc one cylinder thumper...

I remember that the DR Big had that much torque, that it would need rear tyre and chain replacement every 5.000 km!

Still an impressive machine... Not to mention the sound of it!

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:04 AM   #137
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Size does matter...

Just received the latest news regarding the Crosstourer and the size of this bike.

A friend of me was invited for the official introduction, so he got a fair impression regarding dimensions of Honda's new traillie.

According to his impressions, BMW looks rather small (the classic non-Adventure version), and Crosstourer appears to be larger than Yamaha S10. It doesn't look small!

And also heavier than BMW of course. We are talking about big V4 liquid-cooled engine, that's a big mass.

Regarding the fuel gauge... FINALLY there will be one.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Old 11-04-2010, 06:15 AM   #138
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs
I do. If there is another 'old school' big trail bike just as iconic as the XRV650/750 Africa Twin and the 750 Super Tenere, it must be that incredible Suzuki DR Big... A fat, 800cc one cylinder thumper...

I remember that the DR Big had that much torque, that it would need rear tyre and chain replacement every 5.000 km!

Still an impressive machine... Not to mention the sound of it!

Ah! I see. In fact I do own DR800 Big with seriously upgraded suspension etc. (spent hell lot of time on it). Yes, it is excellent bike - just part of that old team of AT, S10 etc. And I do not plan to sell it :)
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:17 AM   #139
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs
Just received the latest news regarding the Crosstourer and the size of this bike.

A friend of me was invited for the official introduction, so he got a fair impression regarding dimensions of Honda's new traillie.

According to his impressions, BMW looks rather small (the classic non-Adventure version), and Crosstourer appears to be larger than Yamaha S10. It doesn't look small!

And also heavier than BMW of course. We are talking about big V4 liquid-cooled engine, that's a big mass.

Regarding the fuel gauge... FINALLY there will be one.
Perhaps you found bike for your size finally!
Old 11-04-2010, 07:05 AM   #140
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Perhaps you found bike for your size finally!
Well... have to be honest... I guess it will be (very) expensive if I look at the current big trail bike market... S10, Multistrada, GS Adventure... 17.000, 19.000, 21.000, 23.000,- Euro is unfortunately no exception anymore... Without all the accessories...

Maybe I take my chances and buy one of the last new XL1000V Varadero's for 13.000,- Euro and I can simply take over all the goodies I bought the last 6 years on my current Dero...

But in a few years the bike will be available as 'used' and since all good things come to those who wait...

Old 11-04-2010, 07:07 AM   #141
BigMark
Master Of Sophism

Oddometer: 464
How do you guys get all the inside info. All I get from Honda UK is that this is only a concept model and no more.
IBA#40504
Global Wild Card Tag
BigMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:29 AM   #142
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMark
How do you guys get all the inside info. All I get from Honda UK is that this is only a concept model and no more.
they don't talk to honda corporate people.
you really think all this work to build a complete bike that is top on the list to compete with gs & s10 is just a concept??? well honda corporate thinks your dumb enough to believe that so what does that say about them?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #143
BigMark
Master Of Sophism

Which List?

It is a nice bike for sure, I would like to see something similar come to the market even if it is a heavyweight.
It looks nice and comfortable for what I use a bike for, which is a mix between travelling to meetings around the UK mostly on the Highways and otherwise normally two up on intercontinental trips. Passenger seat looks equal to the GS (level) (That's the most comfy bike we have had for the passenger to date)

We can only keep hoping for a Honda Tourer which is exciting to ride.
IBA#40504
Global Wild Card Tag
Old 11-04-2010, 09:58 AM   #144
BigMark
Master Of Sophism

The link is Probably 205 but

Sent: 04 November 2010 13:06
To: Honda

Subject: RE: Crosstourer

Hello Ben
Could you please inform Mr Honda that my life will never be complete unless I am given the opportunity to ride this bike to the ends of the Earth..
Thanks again.
Mark.

Dear Mr Young
Thank you for your reply.
We have just recieved this link form our marketing team please take a look as more information may be released on the Cross Tourer Concept.

http://hondamc2011.com/

Kind regards
Ben
Honda UK Contact Centre
If you have any further questions or feedback please complete our feedback form @ www.honda.co.uk or call our Honda UK Contact Centre on 0845 200 8000. Option 2
IBA#40504
Global Wild Card Tag
Old 11-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #145
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 1,040
The good the bad and the ugly....

THE GOOD:
Honda is making an adventure bike, it seems to be the trend all the other manufactures are doing! In time it will give us more choices, more competition and more validity that the adventure market is doing well, growing and thriving! It's also an indication that BMW and the 1200GS have pissed off enough other manufactures with it's sales that they realize they are leaving money on the table! It's also an indication that enough people are pissed off with the care and feeding of the B-ring M-y W-allet brand that they want or would consider something else! I for one am surprised at the cost of routine maintenance if it's done at a dealership......OUCH!!!

ABOUT THE CROSSTOURER:
*I like the styling and slim profile
*I like the shaft drive, single-side swing-arm
*I like the headlights and small nose
*I like the LCD display
*I like the cross spoke wheels
*I like the tall windscreen
*I like the Honda ownership cost

THE BAD:
The WEIGHT! THIS BIKE LOOKS HUGE!! We don't need Honda's version of a 1200GS!! Make your own Adventure bike Honda......don't copy everyone else's!! I might be wrong but Honda needs to make this thing have a soul but more importantly make it original! Make it like the Africa Twin, a standout right hook, BAM!!!!!, this will eat your big bike concept and you never saw it coming bike! Everyone except Triumph seems to want a 1200 in there lineup. WHY??????!!!!!!! It's like the trend a few years ago that suggested everyone wanted an SUV despite knowing we were headed for a fuel shortage! WE DON'T WANT BIG, HEAVY BIKES!! We want something under 350-400lbs, long travel suspension, comfy ergo's and a fuel efficient, long range (300miles), bike!

WHAT I DON'T LIKE:
*The weight
*The automatic transmission PLEASE.....make this an option!
*The lowish looking ground clearance
*The weight......oh wait, I already said that.
*The panniers
*The automatic transmission......crap, I said that again too.
*The possibility this thing is $15K-$20K .....GRRR
*The bad MPG the 1200F engine does.......it better do 45-50MPG HONDA!

THE UGLY:
Is this thing even coming to the US?! Grrr........if it's not, another tease. I don't like how every bike company wants to copy the 1200GS! Develop something that isn't generated from a statistical analysts bank!! THE OLD GUYS RUNNING YOUR COMPANY ARE DEAD WRONG!!!! PUT SOMEBODY WHO BLOODY RIDES THESE THINGS IN CHARGE!!! WE DON'T WANT A MARKET OF OVER WEIGHT, OVER PRICED, ADVENTURE BIKES WITH CRAP FUEL RANGE AND BAD MPG!!!

Dear Honda,
I like the idea BUT it needs weight loss, 6 speed manual transmission, better panniers, a more fuel efficient motor and more ground clearance.

P.S. Can you paint it in blue with black trim.

Pcfly screwed with this post 03-05-2011 at 11:27 PM
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:24 AM   #146
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,990
Quote:
Sorry about offtopic - RE: CRF230 motard...

No it is not available :(
Not in Germany. Not in Belgium. Not in France. Not in UK. Etc.
Not at all.
And even more. Not a SINGLE homologated light offroader here.
Off road use strictly 450s and 250s.
It is first time I ever hear about CRF230 motard, I swear.

The only ever bikes you can buy new that would somehow fit in is WR125X, XT125X, XT660R (thou it is not light bike) and offroad road legal WR250R. Kawasaki has offroad road legal KLX250S. Suzuki DR-Z125SM (actually not really capable of anything). So...where is 250-400 cc motard?
Australia has the XR400M:

http://www.hondampe.com.au/repositor...roduction.aspx

Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #147
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Felmey
For me that would be bike to sell one of my bikes for! No kidding. Lucky you...
Old 11-04-2010, 02:24 PM   #148
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,341
Quote:
Can't you get one of these?

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #149
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,990
Quote:
Not so lucky - I'm in Texas. I'd love to have one of those. It'd be a better hit I'll wager than the CRF230 motard we currently get in the States.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #150
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Is that DR-Z?

They were discontinued years ago here. I think about 4 years...
But it is possible to find them second hand. But impressively expensive for second hand bikes. I seen them cheaper in Germany, but then I may go all the way for first 690, one we call "Woodpecker" - with beak - and convert it to truly dual sport.
Effectively only 250-500 cc road legal dualsports or SM we can get here is KTMs and whole bunch of Huskies, 'Bergs etc. But their dealers do not accept part exchange and prices are HIGH. So, something affordable 250cc-400cc supermotard-y (or convertible to SM) with Jap reliability would be brilliant to get. DR-Z is closest to it.

P.S. that was reply to markjenn