Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #1486
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,471
Well, today I went and took a Crosstourer for the traditional showroom test-ride. That is, sat on the bike in the showroom and imagined I was riding it.

The bike looks enormous when you approach it - like a giant's bike transplanted into a normal human setting. The long wheelbase, I suppose, along with Honda having proportioned it so that it looks like a smaller bike built to a grand scale.

I was surprised by the way it felt, and for what it's worth, impressed.

Felt nothing like as heavy as I had expected. That will be partly because the suspension travel is quite short at the rear for this type of bike, and with the low-ish, narrowish seat it was very easy to flat-foot (I'm 182cm - fraction under 6ft, 32-inch inseam). Did not appear there would be any problem with walking-pace manoeuvres.

Bike appeared to have an aluminium fuel tank - nice change from plastic. The tank felt quite small for 21.5 litres over four big throttle bodies. Doubtless the material helps.

Seating position was something of a slouch. Had doubts about the long-distance comfort of that position, tho reviews are good. Tall handlebars on long risers.

Front fork seemed to put the wheel way out front - almost felt like a chopper, or a big dirt bike. It is easy to imagine this thing being quite stable on gravel. And a bit short of front-tyre grip on tarmac. The tall 'bars presumably are meant to work when standing on the pegs.

Overall, not at all the behemoth I was fearing, from the saddle. Look forward to riding one when the time comes.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #1487
JHa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
The standard fit boxes have a zipper "lock" that runs around the box. By all accounts they do let in water and are not secure. All it takes to get to your goods is a craft knife. Overpriced crap - get a set of Givi's.
Come on. This is quite lame excuse to bash Honda top box.
You wouldn't need more than a knife for any other top box either.
JHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #1488
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,447
The Honda luggage is crap. No excuses from them when any aftermarket products are better and cheaper. They fucked up the VFR 12 luggage by making it tiny and now they put nasty plastic boxes with no security on their new Grand Tourer. Quite why they couldn't swallow their pride and hand the job over to Givi - like Kawasaki have with their rig on the Versys 1000, i just don't know.
Paulvt1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #1489
mountainmeterman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
I'm not so keen on the faux aluminum finish on the cases. I assume a few scuffs and it will look like crap, much worse than plain old honest polymer cases.
mountainmeterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #1490
JHa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
The Honda luggage is crap. No excuses from them when any aftermarket products are better and cheaper ...
Price aside that's not what I'm reading elsewhere.
For instance, review in MC News Australia, see what they say...
JHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:54 AM   #1491
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
Another dumb thing they did with the luggage is you need the key to open it every time. I don't understand why they would do that. I'm sure the luggage is durable. Just not designed very well.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #1492
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingbong View Post
Another dumb thing they did with the luggage is you need the key to open it every time. I don't understand why they would do that.
You may not like the design, but the reason they do it that way is quite simple - they want you to be sure you lock the bags every time before riding away. Most OEM luggage is designed this way. It may be required by safety regulations in some markets.

Do you complain that you can't leave the trunk of your car unlocked while you drive?

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #1493
Podman
Rocketman

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
You may not like the design, but the reason they do it that way is quite simple - they want you to be sure you lock the bags every time before riding away. Most OEM luggage is designed this way. It may be required by safety regulations in some markets.

Do you complain that you can't leave the trunk of your car unlocked while you drive?

- Mark
+6
Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #1494
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:

- Mark
+ 1

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #1495
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,707
Quote:
I would if I couldn't do this.

This comparison makes no sense anyways. Lots of OEM luggage lets you close but leave unlocked which makes a lot of sense for convenience. Most aftermarket doesn't.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:38 PM   #1496
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
Quote:

- Mark
None of my BMW luggage over the years have ever been like this and still isn't to this day. I'm not aware of any OEM bags that do that. Feel free to let me know which other ones do, as I've been pretty much BMW for the last 10 years other than an FJR for 2 years. That's another one that didn't require the key to open every time.
oh and I've managed to never ride of with my bags open.
And I forgot to say that with my VW one of the only things that bugs the shit out of me is having to remove the key from the ignition to open the boot (trunk). There is another remote release to allow the key to remain in but I quite often forget about this before getting out of the car. Funnily enough I don't need the key to open the tail gate on my BMW x3....
Old 06-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #1497
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingbong View Post
None of my BMW luggage over the years have ever been like this and still isn't to this day. I'm not aware of any OEM bags that do that. Feel free to let me know which other ones do, as I've been pretty much BMW for the last 10 years other than an FJR for 2 years. That's another one that didn't require the key to open every time.
I must be missing something. I had an FJR for six years and a BMW R1100S for a decade, both with OEM luggage; I don't recall a way to open/close the bags without using the key. Same with my current S10.

In any event, your comment was "It is dumb and I don't understand why they would do this?" and I was simply explaining that there is a very good reason to do it this - so you can't ride around with the bags unlocked. This may not be the design tradeoff you prefer, but it is a valid reason. And AFAIK, this is the design tradeoff most of the OEM mfg-designed luggage is tending to, so you're complaint really isn't specific to the Crosstourer.

- Mark
Old 06-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #1498
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,707
Quote:
In any event, your comment was "It is dumb and I don't understand why they would do this?" and I was simply explaining that there is a very good reason to do it this - so you can't ride around with the bags unlocked.
And why would that be a bad thing? It is a perfectly valid requirement to ride around with the bags unlocked.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #1499
Sticky Throttle
Happy wanderer

Oddometer: 68
What he said.

Quote:
I must be missing something. I had an FJR for six years and a BMW R1100S for a decade, both with OEM luggage; I don't recall a way to open/close the bags without using the key. Same with my current S10.

- Mark
+1. Another FJR owner here whose bags always lock...
Old 06-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #1500
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
It is a perfectly valid requirement to ride around with the bags unlocked.
It is also a perfectly valid requirement to ride around with the bags locked. Neither side of this has the moral high ground to insist their way is correct/right and the other way is dumb/wrong. Design tradeoff.

- Mark