Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2012, 07:43 AM   #1501
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
It is also a perfectly valid requirement to ride around with the bags locked. Neither side of this has the moral high ground to insist their way is correct/right and the other way is dumb/wrong. Design tradeoff.
You are missing the point. If you can't get the key out without locking or can't open / close the case without a key, you don't give the group that wants this an option to do so. Therefore the criticism is totally valid and from their (and my) point of view it's super stupid. Absolutely valid opinion.

You on the other hand say that people should not be allowed to drive around with closed but unlocked cases, because they actually COULD leave the cases open inadvertently. My opinion on that is "So what? They will learn." You opinion is that because there are people that might make mistakes, there should be regulation. Hey, normally I am the one with a "German regulation" approach to things ...

It's kind of controversial to request "freedom to do what you want" (I'm assuming that's your opinion, I might be wrong), and on the other hand saying that something like this should be regulated. Or at least telling the people that want this feature and find it stupid that it isn't provided that they don't have a valid opinion finding this stupid.

From my perspective: I don't make a fuzz about it, but I don't like regulations for absolutely non-essential, in my opinion often stupid things. I don't like that a manufacturer makes the decision for me whether I ride with the bag locked or unlocked. I'd rather prefer if we (in the US) get more regulation about who is allowed to drive on the road than regulating trivia like this.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #1502
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
You are missing the point. If you can't get the key out without locking or can't open / close the case without a key, you don't give the group that wants this an option to do so. Therefore the criticism is totally valid and from their (and my) point of view it's super stupid. Absolutely valid opinion.
We're at the point of diminishing returns on this. The OP said he didn't understand why the mfgs would do such a dumb design. I simply was pointing out that there was a valid technical reason, not saying it was the right decision.

Enough.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #1503
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I must be missing something. I had an FJR for six years and a BMW R1100S for a decade, both with OEM luggage; I don't recall a way to open/close the bags without using the key. Same with my current S10.

And AFAIK, this is the design tradeoff most of the OEM mfg-designed luggage is tending to, so you're complaint really isn't specific to the Crosstourer.

- Mark
Just as an aside observation; my 2009 BMW F800ST with OEM luggage allows the use of the bags unlocked open/close and riding.

I'm really happy to have the choice, and I frequently use this ability.
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #1504
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
Just as an aside observation; my 2009 BMW F800ST with OEM luggage allows the use of the bags unlocked open/close and riding.

I'm really happy to have the choice, and I frequently use this ability.
So did I on my OEM VFR top box.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:07 AM   #1505
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Funny discussion - but I really can't understand the problem. Wanna have the 'I wanna ride with unlocked panniers' option? Buy aftermarked. Which saves money too.

I have that option on my H&B Alu Standard panniers. But I always lock them whillst riding.
It won't be the first time that panniers are 'opening' during a bumpy ride; scattering the luggage al-over the place.

Don't even start saying "That won't going to happen to me".

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:32 AM   #1506
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
Funny discussion - but I really can't understand the problem. Wanna have the 'I wanna ride with unlocked panniers' option? Buy aftermarked. Which saves money too.
From the aftermarket luggage this is mainly possible with the Aluminum options from Jesse, Touratech, H&B, Micatech. The ones where you actually save money compared to OEM (Givi, Kappa, H&B Plastic, ...) don't have that option. Annoys me quite a bit on my Givi topcase.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:54 PM   #1507
mountainmeterman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Caribou's have the option. I love mine (on a Strom).
mountainmeterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:08 AM   #1508
7seas10
7seas

Oddometer: 426
Come on Honda!!!

Bring it to the US, pleeease!!
7seas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #1509
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seas10 View Post
come on honda!!!

Bring it to the us, pleeease!!
+1!
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #1510
kpmsprtd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
They won't listen...

I doubt that they will listen. I mounted a serious email campaign lobbying for them to let us (U.S.A.) purchase the CB1100F. Granted, Honda email addresses are hidden like buried treasure, so I had to email every government and tourism agency in and around Kumamoto (where the CB1100 and Crosstourer are manufactured). It's two or three years later. I failed.
kpmsprtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #1511
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmsprtd View Post
I doubt that they will listen. I mounted a serious email campaign lobbying for them to let us (U.S.A.) purchase the CB1100F. Granted, Honda email addresses are hidden like buried treasure, so I had to email every government and tourism agency in and around Kumamoto (where the CB1100 and Crosstourer are manufactured). It's two or three years later. I failed.
I would have bought one.

Instead we get Cross ad infinitum.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:45 AM   #1512
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,013
What Honda should've done with the tank and paint, looks much better. Bike customizer White House's version:

http://www.whouse.jp/
2006 Djebel 250XC

twinrider screwed with this post 06-26-2012 at 03:19 PM
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:47 AM   #1513
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,474
The CB1100 has been seen on roads in Austria with a raft of data logging stuff on it.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...013/20906.html
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #1514
Carl Down Under
Aussiwican

Oddometer: 60
NZ like it

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/mo...for-dirt-roads

Old 06-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #1515
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,005
Fark!!

These motor noters are getting a bit cocky these days, sprouting the truth...

Quote:
As for BMW's much-hyped Paris-Dakar rally heritage, which is constantly referred to when discussing the GS bikes, a Honda has won the motorcycle class of the rally five times, only one less than the Bavarian-branded bike-maker's tally of six wins.

Quote:
I'm betting that the wearable components of this shaft-drive system will have a service life far in excess of the 80,000km most BMW R1200GS owners can expect from theirs.

What? Does this guy read or something. Good to see a bit of reality creep in.

Except that bit comparing it to a wing. Maybe a bit too far.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote