User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2012, 06:40 AM   #1516
kpmsprtd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Interesting bike...

Sorry for the mini thread hijack. I like a lot of things about the Crosstourer. And I love how the competition has heated up. (Crosstourer vs. Explorer vs. Super Tenere vs. GS vs. others)
kpmsprtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:34 AM   #1517
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
These motor noters are getting a bit cocky these days, sprouting the truth...

What? Does this guy read or something. Good to see a bit of reality creep in.

Except that bit comparing it to a wing. Maybe a bit too far.
Isn't it a fact that the last BMW victories in the Dakar have NOT been made by the BMW GS boxer, but with a chain-driven singlecylinder?

Which would narrow the parth even further down...

On the other hand... NO shaft driven Honda (XLV750R - I own two) has ever won the Dakar...

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:22 AM   #1518
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post

On the other hand... NO shaft driven Honda (XLV750R - I own two) has ever won the Dakar...
Oh No. Then I suppose the XTourer is out then!!

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:37 AM   #1519
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Oh No. Then I suppose the XTourer is out then!!
Interesting... so we can shuffle the S10, Explorer and Stelvio under the sand dunes as well...

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Old 06-30-2012, 12:04 AM   #1520
Mugatu
Sidewalk adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
Isn't it a fact that the last BMW victories in the Dakar have NOT been made by the BMW GS boxer, but with a chain-driven singlecylinder?

Which would narrow the parth even further down...

They have been limited to 450 for engine size in the Dakar for a few years now, hence the single cylinder instead of a boxer.
Mugatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #1521
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
They have been limited to 450 for engine size in the Dakar for a few years now, hence the single cylinder instead of a boxer.
Wow... we are getting serious... Hence... the XLV750R competed in the Dakar in 1984... Before the cubic inches where limited to 450cc. Same goes for the GS. Started as R80GS. And even (to my limited knowledge) even up to 1200.

Before the limitation...

Old 07-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #1522
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmsprtd View Post
I doubt that they will listen. I mounted a serious email campaign lobbying for them to let us (U.S.A.) purchase the CB1100F. Granted, Honda email addresses are hidden like buried treasure, so I had to email every government and tourism agency in and around Kumamoto (where the CB1100 and Crosstourer are manufactured). It's two or three years later. I failed.
I just returned from the MSTA national rally in CO and a Honda rep from Torrance was there with this bike on display and was seeking feedback on whether we thought AHM should bring it to the USA. I told him that I thought it was a nice bike, but wouldn't sell as welll as the Crosstourer.

fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #1523
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz43 View Post
I just returned from the MSTA national rally in CO and a Honda rep from Torrance was there with this bike on display and was seeking feedback on whether we thought AHM should bring it to the USA. I told him that I thought it was a nice bike, but wouldn't sell as welll as the Crosstourer.
Thanks for that fred!

Maybe, just maybe, if other Honda reps ask at other Moto events about the Xtourers they'll get enough feedback to consider it. I know.....I'm dreaming, but hey......we gotta have dreams right?!?!

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #1524
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Thanks for that fred!

Maybe, just maybe, if other Honda reps ask at other Moto events about the Xtourers they'll get enough feedback to consider it. I know.....I'm dreaming, but hey......we gotta have dreams right?!?!

-SM
Yes, this rep works at AHM HQ and you may have seen him in videos when they introduce new models. I have known him for several years and had several discussions with him during the days he was at the rally. He knows that I am a long time Honda rider who now rides a Super Tenere because Yamaha offers USA riders something that Honda does not offer them right now. We'll see if it does any good.
fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:48 PM   #1525
AussieKiwi
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
What Honda should've done with the tank and paint, looks much better. Bike customizer White House's version:

WTF are all these pics doing in the CrossTourer thread?
AussieKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:33 AM   #1526
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieKiwi View Post
WTF are all these pics doing in the CrossTourer thread?
Because the bike came up in the course of discussion. Seems you haven't realized it with just 5 posts to your name but this happens frequently in advrider bike threads so it doesn't qualify as a WTF moment.

Look up three posts up from yours to enjoy more pics of it...
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:54 AM   #1527
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz43 View Post

If they bring it .... I will buy it! don't need no stink'n Cross T, gotta S10!

egards, Paul
Old 07-05-2012, 05:13 AM   #1528
RoadRdr
Mostly Pavement

Oddometer: 165
I've been following and contributing a bit to this thread for a long time now saying that if they bring it, I'll buy it. The lack of commitment from Honda and even lack of knowledge that it existed by some AHM reps at Americade lead me to believe I've wasted the past couple years. Honda is giving no indication of bringing it here.

After reading reviews from those of you in countries where Honda thinks people actually ride their motorcycles I was even more excited about it coming to the US.

I've said all along I was ready to plunk down the cash for a Crosstourer. Honda let me down. I've moved on in a big way.

I picked up my new 2012 BMW R1200GS Adventure on Tuesday. So, Honda I'll be out of the new bike market for the next few years. Nice call on the part of some number crunching marketing douche that probably doesn't even ride at corporate Honda.

Honda's motorcycle division is seriously out of touch. It's been happening for a few years and shows no signs of turning around. Good luck to you Crosstourer owners, enjoy them. Wish me luck. If I read the GSpot threads correctly, I'll need it.
(But the GSA looks badass)

RoadRdr screwed with this post 07-05-2012 at 05:41 AM Reason: Correction for Adv model
RoadRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:25 AM   #1529
7seas10
7seas

Oddometer: 426
Good move!
Congratulations on your new GS!!

I was hoping to sell my 2011 GS and get the Xtourer next year, unfortunately it won't happen.
I'll keep enjoying my boxer, it is one of the best isn't it?

Safe riding!
7seas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #1530
Gooner
DC 43

Oddometer: 122
I've owned five VF/VFRs and would strongly consider one of these if AmHonda would let me. Guess either Yamaha or Triumph will end up with my business instead.
Gooner is offline   Reply With Quote