Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #1531
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
I'm guessing honda is stuck between a rock and a hard place with this bike. The price they need to sell them for makes them un competitive against the opposition, and the lack of 'goodies' as standard makes them look even worse value. From what I see the US generally have cheaper bike prices than Europe (except BMW perhaps) which makes it more difficult for them to sell the bike there. JMHO.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #1532
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,447
I'm still waiting - like a vulture perched over a man in the desert - for a DCT to pop up. I don't reckon it'll do well over here, which is a shame, as the tech is superb. Looking at a standard one again today - it still looks sweet. Finish quality is lush.
I reckon you boys stateside will get it eventually.
Paulvt1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #1533
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRdr View Post
I've been following and contributing a bit to this thread for a long time now saying that if they bring it, I'll buy it. The lack of commitment from Honda and even lack of knowledge that it existed by some AHM reps at Americade lead me to believe I've wasted the past couple years. Honda is giving no indication of bringing it here.

After reading reviews from those of you in countries where Honda thinks people actually ride their motorcycles I was even more excited about it coming to the US.

I've said all along I was ready to plunk down the cash for a Crosstourer. Honda let me down. I've moved on in a big way.

I picked up my new 2012 BMW R1200GS Adventure on Tuesday. So, Honda I'll be out of the new bike market for the next few years. Nice call on the part of some number crunching marketing douche that probably doesn't even ride at corporate Honda.

Honda's motorcycle division is seriously out of touch. It's been happening for a few years and shows no signs of turning around. Good luck to you Crosstourer owners, enjoy them. Wish me luck. If I read the GSpot threads correctly, I'll need it.
(But the GSA looks badass)
I'm in agreement that Honda USA is out of touch with many of us moto riders.

I just returned from a trip which included some time in Hastings, England. I walked into the local Honda dealer and after a great conversation and some time looking on the showroom floor, I picked up the Honda Adventure pamphlet....

CrossTourer
XL1000V Varadero
CrossRunner
NC700X
XL700V TransAlp
XL125 Varadero

Now, look up the Honda USA site and see what we can buy........the ancient XR650L or the Summer release of the NC700X.......

The Brits told me that the Varadero will likely be discontinued and the USA has never seen one through a legitimate dealer.

What a joke!

I rode my XR650R's for a long time and modded them extensively but Honda will not see another of my dollars anytime soon.......

A $6000 pound 2008 Varadero with 3900 miles.........

A $13,750 pound, brand new CrossTourer 1200 on the showroom floor..........notice the CrossRunner behind it.........

With a stronger dollar at today's exchange, that's around $22,000 for that bike......not what I would consider a great value either...
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #1534
Edmond Dantès
The Kanto Pain

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
$6000 pound
Quote:
$13,750 pound
Is that a pound, as in pound my fist on the desk pound because the dollar price is too high?

Oh, and Walrus, you look good sitting on that Varadero. Is the bike grated and waving ta-ta to the white cliffs enroute to the U.S of A?
Edmond Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #1535
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post

With a stronger dollar at today's exchange, that's around $22,000 for that bike......not what I would consider a great value either...
Meaningless to guestimate US prices based on UK prices and exchange rates. Honda wouldn't be charging that price if it went stateside. Example: the CBR1100RR sells for £10,975 ($16,984) in the UK and $13,800 in the US.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #1536
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
Considering that I just bought a Stelvio NTX for $16190 here in Canada, I would hope they would figure this reasonable pricing more to our liking and factor that in.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #1537
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Dantès View Post
Is that a pound, as in pound my fist on the desk pound because the dollar price is too high?

Oh, and Walrus, you look good sitting on that Varadero. Is the bike grated and waving ta-ta to the white cliffs enroute to the U.S of A?

I have too many bikes in my garage now......but Honda might have been one of them if they sold it here....no way I'll ever deal with a 'grey market' bike or crate in the USofA.....

Quote:
twinrider • Yesterday 06:16 PM

Meaningless to guestimate US prices based on UK prices and exchange rates. Honda wouldn't be charging that price if it went stateside. Example: the CBR1100RR sells for £10,975 ($16,984) in the UK and $13,800 in the US.
Agree......maybe the profit margin is a reason they don't import them?

Quote:
Toadride • Yesterday 06:48 PM
Considering that I just bought a Stelvio NTX for $16190 here in Canada, I would hope they would figure this reasonable pricing more to our liking and factor that in.
Unless/until Honda imports them, we'll never know for certain........Until then, I'll ride my BMW's and KTM's and Honda won't see another nickel of my USDollars....
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #1538
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post

I have too many bikes in my garage now......but Honda might have been one of them if they sold it here....no way I'll ever deal with a 'grey market' bike or crate in the USofA.....

Agree......maybe the profit margin is a reason they don't import them?

Unless/until Honda imports them, we'll never know for certain........Until then, I'll ride my BMW's and KTM's and Honda won't see another nickel of my USDollars....
What is wrong with 'grey' import? OK, Original parts could be tricky but these days, they can be ordered around the Globe within 24h... 'Grey' import isn't an issieu anymore these days. Besides the 'official' imported models from f.e. GM, Ford USA and Chrysler there are many US cars imported in The Netherlands f.e., which officialy are not imported... They have created a huge network for (technical) support etc. But I agree, a bike as the Varadero (or Crosstourer) could never be imported in huge quantities like cars are...

I know at least 2 of your fellow US of A residents who are (very) happy Varadero owners. Trey Hall is amongst the most 'famous'... he imported his bike (actually his 2nd Varadero) from the UK, a few years ago.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:13 AM   #1539
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
What is wrong with 'grey' import? OK, Original parts could be tricky but these days, they can be ordered around the Globe within 24h... 'Grey' import isn't an issieu anymore these days. Besides the 'official' imported models from f.e. GM, Ford USA and Chrysler there are many US cars imported in The Netherlands f.e., which officialy are not imported... They have created a huge network for (technical) support etc. But I agree, a bike as the Varadero (or Crosstourer) could never be imported in huge quantities like cars are...

I know at least 2 of your fellow US of A residents who are (very) happy Varadero owners. Trey Hall is amongst the most 'famous'... he imported his bike (actually his 2nd Varadero) from the UK, a few years ago.
Not even grey market, but I'd never buy another bike brought into Canada and NOT the US. Mainly for parts prices. I just sold my CBF1000 and one of the reasons was cost for parts, plus it was the most unreliable bike I've ever owned. Fuel pump went, $720, then the stator packed it in $550 in Canada but I bought one from the UK, $330 shipped to my door! Never again Honda.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #1540
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
What is wrong with 'grey' import?
In the US at least, it is a complete can of worms. Getting the bike through customs and registered/titled is difficult if not impossible(especially for later model bikes which must meet federal safety and emissions certifications), insurance is sketchy, there is no warranty, and it makes no economic sense, especially for a bike that may end up being imported in a year or two (which would completely blow any resale of a grey-market bike out the window).

I don't think our Euro friends understand the difficulties involved with 50 different states handling licensing, titling, and inspections. Things are different over here.

Parts availability is the least of one's concerns.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 07-10-2012 at 08:12 PM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #1541
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I don't think our Euro friends understand the difficulties involved with 50 different states handling licensing, titling, and inspections. Things are different over here.
I rather think that the Europeans rightly think that the US DoT is a bunch of pretty stupid a**holes with their heads up the rearends of the US car industry to allow for regulations that are outdated, de-centralized, mostly less stringent, and certainly much more paper-pusher oriented than in Europe.

I'm born and raised in the one of the most bureaucratic countries in the world (Germany) and can only say that the US is at least twice as bureaucratic and ten times less efficient about it. Don't get me wrong, I love living here and I deal with it, but you have to get the facts right on that topic ...
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #1542
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
I'd really like to hear from anyone running a CT at the moment especially a DCT version. How's life with it? Pictures? Touring? Commuting and any 2 up rides. Is anyone out there
Old 07-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #1543
Coloradorider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingbong View Post
I'm guessing honda is stuck between a rock and a hard place with this bike. The price they need to sell them for makes them un competitive against the opposition, and the lack of 'goodies' as standard makes them look even worse value. From what I see the US generally have cheaper bike prices than Europe (except BMW perhaps) which makes it more difficult for them to sell the bike there. JMHO.
I'm pretty sure Honda positioned themselves between that rock and a hard place by building bikes for an imaginary demographic. Ego Maniacs.
Coloradorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #1544
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
In the US at least, it is a complete can of worms. Getting the bike through customs and registered/titled is difficult if not impossible(especially for later model bikes which must meet federal safety and emissions certifications), insurance is sketchy, there is no warranty, and it makes no economic sense, especially for a bike that may end up being imported in a year or two (which would completely low any resale of a grey-market bike out the window).

Parts availability is the least of one's concerns.

- Mark
Thanks Mark,

I don't think I would have been so diplomatic.....'grey market' is a nightmare here.....the resale of a grey market vehicle is subject to at least 50% devaluation in my market......the insurability is questionable at best.......and even registration and licensing is not guaranteed........the VIN will not show up in the DMV computers as eligible...........never have and never will run the gamut of issues.

As an aside, I know a local pilot who 'fell in love' with the SmartCar and imported one for his personal use years prior to legitimate imports.....he admits he should have bought a cabin in the mountains for all the money and hassle it cost him........

Besides which.........and I sincerely hope that HONDA is listening and reading........there are plenty of other competitive options....companies which haven't abandoned the US market for this and many other types of motos........their loss, not ours......
Old 07-13-2012, 01:01 AM   #1545
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
@ Bross… the CBF1000 is one of the most reliable Honda’s you could imagine (but also one of the most boring…). Its most likely your Honda agent who spoiled the fun, not delivering the service you are entitled to. At my Honda agent it doesn’t really matter if the Honda I ride, is an official Dutch registration, or grey import (f.e. a 700 Magna). Service is on the same level.

The Honda fuelpump (which is actually a Mitsubishi) sucks on the Africa Twin and the MK1 Varadero as well. And just as expensive. That’s why we replace it with either Facet or QH pumps from the car spare shop: € 50,- plug ‘n play… ;)

Still... some guys managed to do the trick (importing a Varadero and getting it registered on US licences)... But I must admit, I did not give it a 2nd thought that regulations in the States could be different from State to State... I should have known, though...

The US is known as the 'Largest Democracy on the Planet'. Yeh. Read: Largest Bureaucracy on the Planet?

Sorry for you guys... I do feel sorry for you.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote