Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #1591
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,659
BiKE magazine gave it very high praise (rated it over the Triumph too). I wish I could try one its the first Honda in years that's got my attention.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:25 AM   #1592
droid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
picking up a white demo (90kms - 25 of them mine) errrr, tomorrow

mrs hates me

stndard box and std everything else

i'll be taking the long way home
droid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:48 AM   #1593
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by droid View Post
picking up a white demo (90kms - 25 of them mine) errrr, tomorrow

mrs hates me

stndard box and std everything else

i'll be taking the long way home
Looking forward to your impressions, reviews are far and few between.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:15 AM   #1594
Mugatu
Sidewalk adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Please post extensivly about your impressions, and lots of pictures please !!!

Might be the one to replace my crushed S10, but so far I think I just saw one in my area (delivery man who used to be on a Deauville, strangely).
Mugatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:36 AM   #1595
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
BiKE magazine gave it very high praise (rated it over the Triumph too). I wish I could try one its the first Honda in years that's got my attention.
What issue was that? Just looked on Bike's website, unbelievably they don't offer digital subscriptions for overseas customers...
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 09-06-2012, 05:08 AM   #1596
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
Sorry to tell you this, but when testing a multistrada last weekend there was a demo CT with DCT I walked right passed it. After my test I went back and looked at it and sat on it again. The ride position is just so different from all the other bikes in this class. Doesn't suit me but others will like it I'm sure. But I guess my point is that I'm at a stage where I don't want to just walk past my bike in the garage and not notice it. Sure it might be great at what it's designed for or average even but it needs to shutout to me to go ride.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:26 AM   #1597
twinrider
pass the catnip

I was also a bit underwhelmed by the Crosstourer's looks but I wouldn't write it off before trying it. And I wouldn't buy a Duc on principle alone — the principle that I want turn-key reliability/low maintenance.
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 09-06-2012, 05:36 AM   #1598
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I was also a bit underwhelmed by the Crosstourer's looks but I wouldn't write it off before trying it. And I wouldn't buy a Duc on principle alone — the principle that I want turn-key reliability/low maintenance.
You may have a point, but I've never owned either Honda or Ducati. The shaft drive is a huge plus on the Honda though for sure
Old 09-06-2012, 06:00 AM   #1599
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,520
There's a used black DCT popped up near me. Fairly well specced up too. Akra can and heated grips.. Might go and have a look next week if i get chance.
Paulvt1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #1600
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
What issue was that? Just looked on Bike's website, unbelievably they don't offer digital subscriptions for overseas customers...
September - has a Tiger and GS on the cover.

As for Ducati reliability thing, my Multi is good so far and it gets used every day but there is at least as many horror stories for Beemers and of the three I've owned and the three or four I've rented and thrashed across Europe, not one breakdown. Not even so much as a bulb has failed.

As for the X-Tourer, yep, it's a bland looking bike. But even their Sportbikes are all but forgettable. It's the Honda way.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #1601
droid
Adventurer

here are some pics and some small notes of my impressions thus far
managed to back it out of there without moving anything – grab rails and nice full steering

dash has a bit more info with bike turned on, sorry

lever adjust

suspension adjust – handy to do while riding to see the difference, i’m hopeless at suspension

even for someone mechanically challenged this all seems pretty decent – spare fuses, good sized batt

wear marks on rear rack/hand rails – that’s just from trying some tie downs so powder coating if poss could be the order for this if straps are your thing

yes yes, shaft drive makes me happy

beaky but the angular nature of the bikes design seems to work – especially in the flesh
Old 09-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #1602
droid
Adventurer

so far I have pulled back the bars half an inch and brought the levers in. Have tried the screen both up and down and off altogether, the off altogether gives clear wind into the helmet which seems easier to handle than turbulent air. First thing Monday will be an order for a larger screen.

These sort of bikes are so effortless to ride, the motor is really nice and plenty of room to move around on the seat

The traction control and abs have me going down gravel roads the three times I've ridden it. if slowly moving on the loose gravel you can pin it and it will just squirt for a half second and then it backs the power off - quite interesting.

I tested the abs on both front and rear and had it kick in both times, going downhill on gravel I was surprised how much front braking I could do before it twitched so yeah - better get some radiator protection bars before too long

coming home into a really strong wind I realised how poor that screen is, it's weird I mean you'd have to be long legged, long armed and short torso-ed to reach the ground, bars and stay under the highest setting on the screen - but anyhow

this isn't a bike to sit back and gork at, though I do look at it in-terms of what gadgets can I put on and where can I attach stuff. None of these bikes or this style do it for me aesthetically, can't see myself cleaning it too much or going out to the shed to look it - just gonna ride it

having a dealer in town was a big reason for getting one

I would suggest if you can that you ride one before making an opinion on the way they ride - some people somehow make a judgment about a bikes riding characteristics without ever taking one for a spin. and in the flesh, they are much easier to look at
Old 09-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #1603
Revenue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by droid View Post

I would suggest if you can that you ride one before making an opinion on the way they ride - some people somehow make a judgment about a bikes riding characteristics without ever taking one for a spin. and in the flesh, they are much easier to look at
Cant agree more, i sat on one in the UK decided to take it out on a test ride, ended up walking away with the full spec Demo bike at a very cool price
Delivered the bike to James Cargo Manchester and had the bike Air freighted to Thailand, where i rode it 750km from Bangkok to Mukdahan in 7 hours only stopping for fuel and water for me, I must say i am really impressed with the bike, the standard screen is a complete waste of plastic, but today have managed to graft a MRA spoiler to the standard screen and its 2000 times better, so decided to order a full MRA x-creen with the larger spoiler from the UK
The rainey season is coming to a end soon so will be heading into Laos and Cambodia and will post my reviews, photos and Videos as try the bike.
Looks like i need to sort out how to post photos as well
http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/...uk/ERIC007.jpg

Eric

Revenue screwed with this post 09-09-2012 at 02:59 AM
Revenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:03 AM   #1604
twinrider
pass the catnip

Thanks for the reports boys, so how is the POWER?

Is there enough to stretch your arms when you twist the throttle hard? Any impromptu power wheelies?
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 09-09-2012, 03:08 AM   #1605
Mugatu
Sidewalk adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Thanks, you'v managed to find some good angles for the photos, it actually looks nice.
How is the breaking power on asphalt compared to a xt1200z or 1200GSA (if you've ridden those bikes) ?
Mugatu is offline   Reply With Quote