Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #151
DustyDevil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I like it! It has a cleaner look than the current crop of GS bikes.

I would like a lighter less pricey (assumption here) version of it though.
DustyDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #152
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
Is that DR-Z?
Yes, DRZ400SM. The motard version of their dual-sport. Neat bike. I don't know anything about the Honda discussed above, but the DRZ is a nice machine, in either dual-sport or motard trim.

Quote:
They were discontinued years ago here. I think about 4 years...
But it is possible to find them second hand. But impressively expensive for second hand bikes.
Interesting. There is good bike you can get in the states, but not in Europe? That's bucking the trend.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:37 AM   #153
dibdob69
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Looks crap
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...IMG_0085-1.jpg
dibdob69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:19 AM   #154
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by dibdob69
Looks crap
What looks crap?
Old 11-05-2010, 03:22 AM   #155
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
Ah! I see. In fact I do own DR800 Big with seriously upgraded suspension etc. (spent hell lot of time on it). Yes, it is excellent bike - just part of that old team of AT, S10 etc. And I do not plan to sell it :)

Yep pretty much so.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:50 AM   #156
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKiwi
What looks crap?
Look at Dibdob's signature... BMW GS... So he is used to crap. I guess that's the explanation...

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:49 AM   #157
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs
Just received the latest news regarding the Crosstourer and the size of this bike.

A friend of me was invited for the official introduction, so he got a fair impression regarding dimensions of Honda's new traillie.

According to his impressions, BMW looks rather small (the classic non-Adventure version), and Crosstourer appears to be larger than Yamaha S10. It doesn't look small!

And also heavier than BMW of course. We are talking about big V4 liquid-cooled engine, that's a big mass.

Regarding the fuel gauge... FINALLY there will be one.
Why on earth would you want a fuel gauge? They are rarely accurate or trustworthy and I bet after a few fills of not really knowing how much gas you have in the tank you'll revert to the tried and true method of simply resetting your trip meter after each fill. Only takes 2-3 fill ups to determine what your mileage is, then you know how far you can travel on a tank.

Besides, I just replaced the fuel pump on my 2008 Honda CBF. $760 Canadian! Most expensive fuel pump my dealer had ever ordered in. The only thing I can figure for the cost is the CBF has a fuel gauge and the pump comes with the float and electronics for the fuel gauge as a complete unit. Any other fuel pump for a non-gauged Honda was $300-$330.

Talking about the accuracy of fuel gauges. I can ride 300km on the CBF till I'm on 'E', 320-330km and I'm pushing. My gauge sits on Full for the first 200km, then drops to around Half at 250km, then will quickly drop to 'E' anytime after. Haven't looked at the bloody thing in 2 years of riding.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:56 AM   #158
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
Why on earth would you want a fuel gauge? They are rarely accurate or trustworthy and I bet after a few fills of not really knowing how much gas you have in the tank you'll revert to the tried and true method of simply resetting your trip meter after each fill. Only takes 2-3 fill ups to determine what your mileage is, then you know how far you can travel on a tank.

Besides, I just replaced the fuel pump on my 2008 Honda CBF. $760 Canadian! Most expensive fuel pump my dealer had ever ordered in. The only thing I can figure for the cost is the CBF has a fuel gauge and the pump comes with the float and electronics for the fuel gauge as a complete unit. Any other fuel pump for a non-gauged Honda was $300-$330.

Talking about the accuracy of fuel gauges. I can ride 300km on the CBF till I'm on 'E', 320-330km and I'm pushing. My gauge sits on Full for the first 200km, then drops to around Half at 250km, then will quickly drop to 'E' anytime after. Haven't looked at the bloody thing in 2 years of riding.
To each their own. I personally think you're nuts. I'll take a gauge any day. My mileage varies wildly depending upon load and zestiness of riding. Going by the tripmeter would ensure long walks in the middle of nowhere.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:22 AM   #159
V Saarela
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Agree with you bross. Itīs not a cartank with flat tank at bottom where you see more exactly how much you have left. Warningbulb is much much better.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:12 AM   #160
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,536
If this bike happens, then 2012 will be interesting. More big SUV beasts than ever. New Tiger 1200, Stelvio, S10..
Touratech will be working flat out..
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:18 AM   #161
lukasteam
Life is beautiful !!!

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson
If this bike happens, then 2012 will be interesting. More big SUV beasts than ever. New Tiger 1200, Stelvio, S10..
Touratech will be working flat out..
You right Paul, when manufacturers compete customer always wins !!!
Old 11-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #162
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by V Saarela
Agree with you bross. Itīs not a cartank with flat tank at bottom where you see more exactly how much you have left. Warningbulb is much much better.
Every current bike I've seen with a fuel gage also has a warning light also, so there's no takeaway. And while gages tend to be non-linear in the middle of tank, they work pretty well on the last 1/4 or so in most applications.

Other that cost/complexity, I'm not seeing any downside to a gage. And you can still use a tripmeter if you like.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:23 PM   #163
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
Every current bike I've seen with a fuel gage also has a warning light also, so there's no takeaway. And while gages tend to be non-linear in the middle of tank, they work pretty well on the last 1/4 or so in most applications.

Other that cost/complexity, I'm not seeing any downside to a gage. And you can still use a tripmeter if you like.

- Mark
No warning light on my CBF, just a red bar at the "E", so unless you are keeping an eye on the gauge there's no warning. I'd much prefer just a simple low fuel light, like every other FI bike I've owned had. Get's your attention, I then glance at my trip meter and know how far I've got left. This is just one case where I believe in the KISS it principle. Gas gauge in my truck sucks as well, same as the bike, shows full and 3/4 forever, then drops very quickly and I've got gallons left when it says empty. :shrug Maybe that's why I like using trip meters and knowing how far I can go on a tank of gas, cause I've never had a reliable gas gauge. Never ran out of gas on a bike either, until the CBF. In the first few months of ownership and stupidly using the gas gauge.

Great if you like a gauge, me I'll just use the old fashioned trip meter, thanks.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:09 AM   #164
V Saarela
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
No, canīt remembering any warninglights with the gauge on bikes I owned.
On my Varadero, there are 4 litres left when the lights comes, but this is not sure(Iīm on my fourth Vara now)
Vary how much is left, can vary between 3 and 4 litres. New bike and I always take a can with me, ride(holidayspeed) the tank empty and check at the trip how far I get.

Back to track:
few shoots of the Tourer(without blingbling) I took at Milano on tuesday.

I think itīs a great bike and canīt wait until see it in other colors.

All my pics from Milano: http://www.saarela.se/aktuellt/aktue.../101103b1.html
Old 11-07-2010, 02:30 AM   #165
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,235
Fuelpumps

Quote:
@ Bross (sorry for going slightly offtopic here)

Why in Earth would you use an official Honda fuelpump, knowing that these will brake down again? I replaced the faulty fuelpump on my MK1 Varadero ages ago with an alternative pump from Quinton Hazel Automotives (QH) which I picked up at a local car spare shop. Costs? 75,- €. Plug & Play. The original (which comes from Mitsubishi by the way...) was over € 200,-!!!

Same goes for Facet pumps which are commonly used by Africa Twin owners.

I can't see the relation between a fuel pump and a fuel gage though and yes, on a long distance tourer which the CT seems to be, I do see the importance of a fuel gage.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote