Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #211
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,392
I think the New Honda looks good. It looks to have a longer wheel base than the Super Tenere and it has much smoother lines. I hope it holds more fuel than the Super Tenere. Being a current BMW owner I don't like the single sided swing arm, I like the double sided swing arm of the Super Tenere. I think it offers much more strenth and better bearing support. I like Honda's wind shield being closer to the rider, should be less buffeting. I don't much care for the side opening bags. I like the top opening panniers on my R1150 GSA bags. I will not ever consider the Honda if it does not have a standard tranny, I don't think a automatic would hold up to real world off road applications and Honda is fitting this bike into the ADV market, some of us do use them that way. I also hope Honda does not wait to produce this bike as this market is still small enough to get a good foot and following into it.

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #212
Carl Down Under
Aussiwican

Oddometer: 60

I love it! I think it looks great, good job Honda. I loved the VFR1200 when it came out and wished they put that engine in an adventure tourer! A go anywhere bike with POWER! Wish granted . I didn't like the S10 styling as much when it came out though I have warmed to that one. Looks great in the flesh. I've loved the GSA since it came out but couldn't understand why other manufacturers were not jumping on the bandwagon. Finally! I don't mind sacrificing a bit of weight for more power, but that'll be an important point for this bike to manage in this market I think. Hopefully they do as good a job as the S10 in keeping the center of gravity low. Hmmm, looking forward to my first large adventure tourer. It was the GSA, now its the S10, maybe it could be the Crosstourer if Honda don't take too long to bring it out (if they do at all). The auto gearbox could work in the dirt, interesting, don't know?
Carl Down Under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:46 AM   #213
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
Thumb Crosstourer in MCN

Yesterday's MCN (Motor Cycle News) was FULL with details and info's regarding the new CT. What a machine...

They state: "Crosstourer heads Honda revival - The new V4 adventure bike from Honda marks Honda's return to form as they reveal nine new bikes at the Milan Show"

That does sound very, very positive. Haven't been able to read the full article yet, but for the parts I have done future looks very promising for the Honda Company (which was about time...!)

Note: Honda Netherlands just started a campaign to gather the public / customer opinion regarding which path they should take with an on-line inquiry. Also a clear sign that finally something is changing at Honda HQ!

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...n-november-10/
Attached Images

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:37 AM   #214
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs
Yesterday's MCN (Motor Cycle News) was FULL with details and info's regarding the new CT. What a machine...

They state: "Crosstourer heads Honda revival - The new V4 adventure bike from Honda marks Honda's return to form as they reveal nine new bikes at the Milan Show"

That does sound very, very positive. Haven't been able to read the full article yet, but for the parts I have done future looks very promising for the Honda Company (which was about time...!)

Note: Honda Netherlands just started a campaign to gather the public / customer opinion regarding which path they should take with an on-line inquiry. Also a clear sign that finally something is changing at Honda HQ!

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...n-november-10/
A single sided swingarm with shaft drive? Will Honda get it right, or will BMW and Honda riders be sitting at the same table, sipping latte's and agonizing over final drive issues?
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:31 AM   #215
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 376
respectfully disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaHog
Is there any particular reason why the sole XTourer thread is in Beasts? The utility of an 800cc dual-purpose bikes on various types of dirt can be - and is - endlessly debated here. XRunner, Mini-Tiger, etc.

The 1050 Tiger, arguably a so-so/decent dirt bike, is usually discussed in Road Warriors. the 800cc mini-Tiger and XRunner are there, too.

I would respectfully argue that the XTourer likely won't be as successful as the 1050 Tiger in the dirt. Not that I can prove this point yet - but it can't be demonstrably proven wrong yet, either. Until we get some demo rides, it's all speculation.

The XTourer is a closer relative to [and shares parts with] the VFR1200f, which clearly doesn't belong here. Also, I suspect that, for the vast majority of potential 1200cc XTourer buyers, dirt won't necessarily be the bikes' primary use - street riding in all of it's various forms, will much more likely be it's main use.

Mods: thoughts?

Thanks -

PH
It might share parts but this is an adventure touring bike. I like this home for it.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:32 AM   #216
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38
A single sided swingarm with shaft drive? Will Honda get it right, or will BMW and Honda riders be sitting at the same table, sipping latte's and agonizing over final drive issues?
I prefer flat whites
Old 11-11-2010, 04:44 AM   #217
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Is there any particular reason why the sole XTourer thread is in Beasts?
Well they try to steal a grane from the real deal XT ?

Although i think its more of a CT (scan) instead, way to overengeneered, would not wonder me if it follow the roadsigns without rider assistance too ? :-)

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:55 AM   #218
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
Well they try to steal a grane from the real deal XT ?

Although i think its more of a CT (scan) instead, way to overengeneered, would not wonder me if it follow the roadsigns without rider assistance too ? :-)
So the new S10 isn't 'over-engineered'?

Ah, that explains the fact that it (S10) hasn’t become the sales figures for which Yamaha hoped for…

(must admit that this puzzles me too… I still like the S10 but I’m honest enough to admit that I will be waiting another year to try the CT in the flesh first…)

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Old 11-11-2010, 05:07 AM   #219
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,982
Quote:
[COLOR=#cdcdcd]Ah, that explains the fact that it (S10) hasn’t become the sales figures for which Yamaha hoped for… (must admit that this puzzles me too… I still like the S10 but I’m honest enough to admit that I will be waiting another year to try the CT in the flesh first…
Have to say, there is a lot of fan boi talk of the S10 in the US for something thalt weighs 575 lbs and few here have ridden.

I expected the new 800's to be where the real adventure bike action was going to be, with the Triumph and Honda added to the BMW choices.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:16 AM   #220
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
So the new S10 isn't 'over-engineered'?
Nope, they just have taken true en tested components instead of going for the heavy and troubleprone single sided arm, and boy what a stability and clean ride it delivers that 60cm long reararm.

No Can-Bus dificulties, even the TC ABS Drive-by-Wire System is a relatively simple affair, tried and trusted single wet clutch, if you would break down a Capadocian smith could mend most things imho.

Although we do not know yet anything about durability, because no one has done more than 15K with it yet i think.

But i can understand yor lust for the Honda it's queer, but certainly better looking than the S10. But a V4 in the dirt seems to me an odd-choice, the FZ experiment from Yamaha dug itself in way to fast :-)

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:34 AM   #221
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
N//if you would break down a Capadocian smith could mend most things i//
Cappadocian. We would be more inclined to say Hittite.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:34 AM   #222
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3B
But a V4 in the dirt seems to me an odd-choice, the FZ experiment from Yamaha dug itself in way to fast :-)
Agree on that, R3B. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with the current 996 cc Ltwin from the Varadero...

We have to wait and see what we'll get in apr one year from now...
A 'Goldwing' with and dirt bike steeringbar, or a proper big trail adventure bike with an suprisingly manouvrebility... Besides that, Triumph proved in 1994 that an tripple cylinder engine and an big trail bike are an good combination with their MK1 Tiger 900...

Old 11-11-2010, 08:13 AM   #223
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,523
I'm hoping that the XTourer will be at the NEC show this month. I have my ticket, so hopefully i'll be able to get up close and personal.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #224
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson
I'm hoping that the XTourer will be at the NEC show this month. I have my ticket, so hopefully i'll be able to get up close and personal.
rool: IF so, pics! pics!! PICS!! Please!
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:11 AM   #225
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
rool: IF so, pics! pics!! PICS!! Please!
Agree!!!!