Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2010, 02:49 PM   #256
TonsOfFun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
The answer is yes, it's coming to the States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterDave
I have a date with Honda Corporate in the morning.

Order the prime rib...
then ask them if they are going to bring the new 1200 V4 CrossTourer to the USA!

Well I had my meeting with the guys at Honda. It was really neat to meet everyone, and they were very nice. All were extremely interested in my ride and we talked for what must of been an hour or more. I got a bunch of pictures that I'll post up later. They are working on the CrossTourer and bringing it to the states. Sorry guys but no real update for the mighty XR650L planned. Although I like mine just the way she is. Tomorrow begins the days of adjustment. Over the next few days I will update the last report. Once I do all the number crunching and final thinking, I will post up my "after ride summary". It will include the things like, budget, gear info, trip info, bike info, ect.....
Old 11-24-2010, 04:03 PM   #257
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigrevo
I think when big dave says it will break, he means they will burn the clutch out trying to ride in a gear that's too high. But it wont be a problem as the auto mode will kick in and power through. I honestly cant wait.
I know. That's what I said.
12" wet clutch plates x 10 (50kg), big oil cooler to cool down the oil that cools the clutch and extra fins to cool the oil even more and then the computer will manage the rest. It will never get above ambient motor temp and will cost $2000.00

If the programming is right I think it would be a good thing. Honda's challenge is to get it right and reliable so that it won't become one of those things that "don't work in the dirt" like ABS.

YAMAHA are still battling (wimpishly I might add) pre-conceptions on ABS with a new more advanced version that pushes the envelope further out into the gnarly stuff but will be battling the pre conceoption that "dirt = no ABS" for years until enough people own them to realise the goal posts have moved now, or enough reviewers bother to actually test the limits.

If Honda stuffs up on this then that will be the new pre conceoption. They may even be aware of that. Maybe.

Cheers
Graham

GrahamD screwed with this post 11-24-2010 at 04:12 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:51 PM   #258
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,355
The bike is heavy and will undoubtedly be geared tall (and can't be re-geared because of the shaft). This means low-speed steep climbing will either stall the bike or result in a lot of clutch slipping and no clutch will last long with low-speed continuous slipping, regardless of oil coolers. A Rekluse has never had to deal with 650-lb bike or gearing like this one will have.

So I think common sense says that DCT will probably not be a good thing for tough off-pavement. But then I don't have high hopes that bike will be much good off-pavement. Within the performance envelope of the bike, the DCT may be just fine.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:43 PM   #259
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
The bike is heavy and will undoubtedly be geared tall (and can't be re-geared because of the shaft). This means low-speed steep climbing will either stall the bike or result in a lot of clutch slipping and no clutch will last long with low-speed continuous slipping, regardless of oil coolers. A Rekluse has never had to deal with 650-lb bike or gearing like this one will have.

So I think common sense says that DCT will probably not be a good thing for tough off-pavement. But then I don't have high hopes that bike will be much good off-pavement. Within the performance envelope of the bike, the DCT may be just fine.

- Mark
If Honda sends the bike out with a very low 1st gear ratio all that will be negated wouldn't it?

Does Honda still have the first gear lurch therse days?

Cheers
Graham
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:44 PM   #260
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,965
cool. any time frame? or changes being made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsOfFun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterDave
I have a date with Honda Corporate in the morning.

Order the prime rib...
then ask them if they are going to bring the new 1200 V4 CrossTourer to the USA!

Well I had my meeting with the guys at Honda. It was really neat to meet everyone, and they were very nice. All were extremely interested in my ride and we talked for what must of been an hour or more. I got a bunch of pictures that I'll post up later. They are working on the CrossTourer and bringing it to the states. Sorry guys but no real update for the mighty XR650L planned. Although I like mine just the way she is. Tomorrow begins the days of adjustment. Over the next few days I will update the last report. Once I do all the number crunching and final thinking, I will post up my "after ride summary". It will include the things like, budget, gear info, trip info, bike info, ect.....
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:11 PM   #261
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 1,051
Quote:
SERIOUSLY?!

Somehow I don't believe you.
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:54 PM   #262
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD
If Honda sends the bike out with a very low 1st gear ratio all that will be negated wouldn't it?
Perhaps, but Honda is not likely to gear the bike for the 5% of the market that actually might ride this thing off-pavement. They could go ultra-wide ratio, but that hurts performance and 1/4-mile stats and trap speeds sell bikes. Everything is a tradeoff.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #263
TonsOfFun
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcfly
SERIOUSLY?!

Somehow I don't believe you.
Ha ha ha... ok but if you read my post you would have seen that it wasn't me that asked Honda's corporate guys, it was Shooter Dave and I believe him.
Looks like Honda finally decided to toss the US a bone.

I've had my eye on the Yamaha's S10 but didn't like the idea of buying a new production run bike sight unseen no matter what the reviews claim. Now I'm going to wait to see what Honda's latest prototype finally evolves into. Competition is a good thing. The final product can only be speculated at since it's still a work in progress.
I really doubt Honda designed this 1200 to compete with its XR's it's obviously aimed at BMW's GS market share. Speed and comfort riding two up with gear, why not?

TonsOfFun screwed with this post 11-24-2010 at 09:06 PM
TonsOfFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:19 PM   #264
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD
It's a Honda, it wont break down. The new clutch system will weigh 50Kg but it won't break. There will also be a 10Kg oil cooler and 5Kg extra cooling fins. and it won't stop for anything and it will crush all before it.

Cheers
Graham
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:46 PM   #265
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Quote:
Ha ha ha... ok but if you read my post you would have seen that it wasn't me that asked Honda's corporate guys, it was Shooter Dave and I believe him.
Looks like Honda finally decided to toss the US a bone.
SWEET!!! Umm.....any chance you can twist Yamaha into bringing the XT660 Tenere to the USA?! You would be "GOD" status to me if you can do that!!
Old 11-24-2010, 10:53 PM   #266
TonsOfFun
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
SWEET!!! Umm.....any chance you can twist Yamaha into bringing the XT660 Tenere to the USA?! You would be "GOD" status to me if you can do that!!

That would be awesome but sorry, we've been bad and must continue to be punished...
Old 11-24-2010, 11:00 PM   #267
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Quote:
That would be awesome but sorry, we've been bad and must continue to be punished...
Old 11-24-2010, 11:37 PM   #268
TonsOfFun
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Old 11-24-2010, 11:48 PM   #269
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

You know your really among the company of men when the stooges get mentioned!!!
Old 11-25-2010, 12:39 AM   #270
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Big Brother...

... is watching us.

Be aware, no hazardous situations, but Honda is monitoring several Internet Forums regarding the topic 'Crosstourer'.

The goal... just to investigate and collect valuable tips, remarks, etc towards the concept Crosstourer. Confirmed by some insiders I know at Honda EU. And live: At the Varadero International Meeting in Sicily (Italy, 2006) and in Hungary (2008) there was an 'unofficial' Honda delegation participating just to get a 'feel' with the public. Same stories have been recorded from other Honda meetings in Europe...!

There is a new wind of changes at Honda HQ. Where in previous situations the Honda R&D was more or less 'dictated' (that word is a little to heavy to describe the previous situation but I can't find anything different which would cover) by Japan what is good for the Western marked and what is not, the new 'wind' says clearly 'Listen to our public, our customers' and try to meet them - if not fully, then half way' (that last part is my own little personal interpretation... But I think its a very good one!)

This new CT concept seems to be the very first Honda designed and developed under this new direction which I think is a very good thing (O Honda, would you please give us back an <230 kg 800cc Africa Twin to beat the hell out of the GS800 and the Tiger 800? - or Africa Four, OK as well - now that we know that you are reading with us? Thank you!) Changes can be made, perhaps not in an eyeblinc, but I expect more good things to come from the Honda HQ in the few next years.

Regarding the DSG transmission... I guess it will be an option, for sure not obligatory; like it is on the VFR1200.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote