Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #751
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,474
I do like it - but, the Triumph is one hell of a package. Better spec, more power, lower weight, and, i'm guessing, lower price. Honda will have an uphill struggle to sell these.
They should be used to that by now though.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #752
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson View Post
I do like it - but, the Triumph is one hell of a package. Better spec, more power, lower weight, and, i'm guessing, lower price. Honda will have an uphill struggle to sell these.
They should be used to that by now though.

I doubt not that honda has done its magic and the beast will turn lightly and effortlessly.
Weight is just a number, but balance is a quality.
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #753
jeffs900s
Prophet of Doom

Oddometer: 1,158
Just to jump in on the pricing thing...

Honda, with showrooms stocked full of expensive bikes that they can't seem to sell until they offer massive discounts, should damn well know by now that they are not seen as a premium brand. That is not a comment on the bikes so much as it is a comment on buyer perception and sales methodology.

I can't speak for all dealers obviously, but my experience has been that Honda dealers, well... suck. Sorry. And pushing aside a bunch of weed-whackers, ATVs, lawnmowers, etc. to get at the $20,000 motorcycles collecting dust in the corner does not scream "premium motorcycle buying experience". No test rides, and sideways hat wearing, zero motorcycle experience, 16 year old sales staff don't either. Until Honda gets serious about the buying process, I don't ever see them positioning themselves as the BMW alternative, even if the product itself is as good or better.

jeffs900s screwed with this post 11-10-2011 at 10:35 AM Reason: typo
jeffs900s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:41 AM   #754
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,112
It'll all depend on riding reports and pricing and no I don't think this will be another VFR1200 like, marketing failure at all.

And I'm a huge fan of Triumph's new generation 800 / 1200 Tiger efforts. Until we see whether Triumph will offer an XC spoked wheel / big tanked 1200 Tiger somewhere down the line, I'm rather suprised it wasn't the Honda 1200 with cast wheels and the base 1200 Triumph with spoked, but what do I know...

Either way it's all good, truly exciting models coming in from all corners !

996DL
996DL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #755
arrcrussell
Gimme Dirt

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
most say there is very little in the way of bolt on places for the aftermarket to add rear luggage racks.
all i see are hook catches for honda's cheesy plastic hooks on it's oem luggage.
that's a major fail if the aftermarket cannot offer racks and luggage.
Doesn't look like many options for an engine skid plate either. With what looks an oil filter, coolant line and the exhaust pipes all exposed, some protection will be needed.
arrcrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:53 PM   #756
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Why? Might give into the temptation to be a rebel and jump a curb and cross a manicured grass island to get into the Starbucks parking lot?
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #757
MANXMAN
Overlander

Oddometer: 1,550
It looks down right lithe without all the extras on it....and de-beaked of course.

MANXMAN screwed with this post 11-11-2011 at 04:41 AM
MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #758
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,778
I Agree!

I like the looks of it naked too. We'll see. Has to be really good to knock me off the GS12 though. Rode a Wee today. Oh god. Guess I won't ever be getting one of those. I'd buy a 10 year old Beamer before one of those. Triumph Explorer is sounding heavy. Maybe the XTourer is lighter than it looks. Its has to be lighter than a Varadero.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #759
Carl Down Under
Aussiwican

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarysharkface View Post
Rear caliper below the swingarm? Really?
I think that looks like it must be the park brake, because the brake calipers are on top.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #760
Carl Down Under
Aussiwican

Oddometer: 60
I like it, but...

I think it looks great, and I'm very interested. But the new Triumph Explorer also looks really good, most impressed. Will have to wait on the ride reports and when I test ride them. Not fussed on the panniers for either of them though. I was really disappointed when the power came out at 127, down from 170 on the VFR. :-( But I guess it'll depend on how much the lower end gains from the top end loss. Would have liked a larger fuel tank. Australia is BIG. Impressed with standard cruise control on the Triumph. I hope it is at least an option on the Honda. Great for those long boring bits in between the fun bits. I just want it to be able to travel dirt roads, no Dakar, but I found it interesting that the roughest road in the new promo video (with all the red) looked like a cobble stone street. I hope it can handle more than that!

Next year is looking like a good year!
Old 11-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #761
zuma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Can't believe how much better the bike looks without the beak.
zuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #762
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANXMAN View Post
It looks down right lithe without all the extras on it....and be-beaked of course.

Really?! Honda should go to Turin Italy for ALL their designs, the Japanese may be good at efficiency but suck at designing. Till they do, it will be one failure after another, just like this ugly monstrosity above. WTF were they thinking? This bike has to compete in one tough group, lets called it the group of death alla soccer style, and this is what Honda presents. VIVA Triumph for looking at the leader and going one step better in every area, did I mention the Triumph 1200 puts out 950Watts, that's enough to power all your heated gear, electronics and enough left over to power a modern super duper dildo for the SO. Amen

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #763
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANXMAN View Post
It looks down right lithe without all the extras on it....and be-beaked of course.

Looks like a Versys.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #764
Squily
Squily

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Down Under View Post
I think it looks great, and I'm very interested. But the new Triumph Explorer also looks really good, most impressed. Will have to wait on the ride reports and when I test ride them.

I'm in the same boat (or maybe worse)- I bought my Varadero just over a year ago and won't be upgrading in the next two years, but so far the Stelvio is at the top of my list followed by the new Honda half-a-head behind.

But at the same time I've been looking for something to replace the Africa Twin, and the 800 Triumph does look good on paper. I'm following this link to see how they will be going: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739887

Squily
Squily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #765
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
I like the looks of it naked too. We'll see. Has to be really good to knock me off the GS12 though. Rode a Wee today. Oh god. Guess I won't ever be getting one of those. I'd buy a 10 year old Beamer before one of those. Triumph Explorer is sounding heavy. Maybe the XTourer is lighter than it looks. Its has to be lighter than a Varadero.
It isn't. The Crosstourer 'on road' puts 285 kg on the scale, according to the official Honda pressrelease. That's without all the goodies. The current Varadero does 283 - 2 kg less - but comes with 25 liter fuel capacity and (on long distances with luggage) does under 5 liters per 100 km. (1:20 where the Crosstourer is supposed to to 1:16).

Srry for the metric scale!

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote