Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #781
B DIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyC View Post
It's a standard from Honda and that's all I care about. Pray that it comes to the US.
If it comes to the states I'll buy it. I've got plenty of dirt and dual sport bikes, I want a fun standard to ride back roads and do Iron Butt stuff.

As far as I'm concerned, the only statement it needs to make is that it's not a Harley or a BMW.

+1
I want this bike to come to the states so bad
Old 11-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #782
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,093
I rarely if ever, demo bikes that wouldn't suit my purpose, or that I really couldn't afford to consider anyways. I made an exception last year, what with the release of the MTS1200, it was too much for a long gone bevel head, not to experience.

However in 2012, I'm going to make it a point to demo Triumph's base 800 roadie Tigger and the new 1200 Tiger.

But I'm truly most intrigued with Honda's 1200 roadie adventure bike, it'll be unaffordable for myself but the most interesting for my required applications, although I would have preferred cast wheels and the availability of cruise control. It's just a nice alternative, to full on and weighty sport touring bikes and I damn well like it on paper so far !

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:50 PM   #783
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson View Post
I agree with oe of the previous posts that this bike should have cast wheels and the Tiger should have the wire ones. I wonder if the VFR12 ones will fit. Touring motard would make more sense.
I really don't get that statement. Is it just on Aesthetics?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #784
flyingz06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
u g l y
2008 Yamaha WR250
flyingz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:42 PM   #785
Squily
Squily

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
I never understood all this fuss about gargantuan fuel tanks. I ride a bike (950SE) with a 14.5 lt tank, that is 200km of range, give or take. I can easily pack two 6 ltr containers in my soft luggage, resting at the height of the passenger foot pegs, just above the rear axle. I don't even know they're there in terms of handling. At a cost of 10eu, I have just doubled my fuel range. The time it is taking me to wear my pants jacket and helmet is similar to the time it is taking me to stop and transfer the fuel to the tank. It is also a nice opportunity to stretch and admire the landscape!

Come to O'stralia mate, and cross the Simpson with your fuel load of 2 x 6l jerry's.

Or better, try crossing the Nullarbor, which is a bitumen highway and see how it works out for you with a standard 200km range .

I've got 45 l on the AT, and I've almost come unstuck once or twice riding the outback. Now I take two 10 l jerry's as well if I'm not sure.

And yes, you can probably get fuel everywhere if you arrange and so-forth, but at double the cost, it's get a bit expensive...

So all I'm saying- horses for courses. Some people NEEED fuel capacity, other just like it. I like and need it.

Squily
Squily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:36 PM   #786
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squily View Post
Come to O'stralia mate, and cross the Simpson with your fuel load of 2 x 6l jerry's.

So all I'm saying- horses for courses. Some people NEEED fuel capacity, other just like it. I like and need it.

He speaks the truth, A reserve range of 200km, is where you start talking over there.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 11-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #787
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
I just rode across the country, and I agree. I don't mind fueling up with a gas can, but you lose a LOT of time fueling every 150 +/- miles. You don't have to worry about running dry too much in the States, but let's be honest. When you fuel up, how often do you just pump and go? How often do you get off, walk around, stretch, grab a Red Bull and a fresh locally-baked pastry? I know I'm guilty of it. It's not a bad thing, but sometimes you just have to make time.
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #788
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by precarious View Post
I just rode across the country, and I agree. I don't mind fueling up with a gas can, but you lose a LOT of time fueling every 150 +/- miles. You don't have to worry about running dry too much in the States, but let's be honest. When you fuel up, how often do you just pump and go? How often do you get off, walk around, stretch, grab a Red Bull and a fresh locally-baked pastry? I know I'm guilty of it. It's not a bad thing, but sometimes you just have to make time.
If you dont have time to stop every 150 miles and eat a pie and stretch, you really must be enjoying the ride.
I rode 2000 miles last year in 2 days and never rode over 150 miles without a stop for gas/stretch/piss/no.2/photo/glance at map, etc.
You guys must be covering some serious ground not stopping. I carried a gallon of gas and only used it once on the dempster highway, after that it was an ornament.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:12 PM   #789
lonerockz
Permanent n00b

Oddometer: 663
As someone that does Iron Butt rides (don't hate me cause I'm beautiful) I have come to terms with the fact that no bike carries as much fuel as I would like. Sure the GSA and the Stelvio hold a lot of fuel, but I will still wish it was closer to the IBA max of 11.5 gallons. Now on the GSA and Stelvio I would not bother with a aux fuel tank, but with anything less than 8.5 gallons I'm going to add a tank. I know there is a rumored GSA like variant of the Adventure, but I fear it will add a lot of features I don't want (like a 21" front, spoke wheels and 35" seat height). So I'm probably better off with the bike as is, than waiting for a bike that may never materialize.
IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)
Rustic Roads Century Progress
lonerockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #790
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post

He speaks the truth, A reserve range of 200km, is where you start talking over there.
Ok don't shoot the messenger
If I ever come to cross the Simpson desert, I will make sure I will trailer a 10 gallon pack of fuel behind, with a transfer pump and all the goodies. Still better than carrying it on the bike...
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:40 PM   #791
lukasteam
Life is beautiful !!!

Oddometer: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by precarious View Post
10+ on that !!! Arkansas mountains , Arizona desert,Utah and any other great scenic places, I just want to keep riding and riding. I'm on a two wheel xtz. I don't want to stop,take pictures, refuel or socialize. I don't want that feeling to end...ever...ooops low fuel light is on...back to reality I guess.
I believe the more fuel the better. My Africa gets top heavy when the gas tank is full, but that only bothers me when I'm off road in pretty technical stuff otherwise I'm fine. I'd rather be top heavy first couple hours after fill up , but not get stuck with the empty tank in the middle of nowhere...it's adventure riding we talking after all .
lukasteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:55 PM   #792
cool dude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Cool2 Some photos from EICMA 2011...

Hi all,

Here are a few shots I took at EICMA 2011. Small shots are directly added below. Links below each are to the slighttly larger versions. Enjoy...

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...a/P1020881.jpg
It is not obvious from the above shot but the top box has a zipped extended top section despite all panniers being metal. Here is a better shot.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...a/P1020878.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...a/P1020885.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...a/P1020884.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...a/P1020877.jpg

cool dude screwed with this post 11-12-2011 at 02:56 AM
cool dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:29 AM   #793
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks cool dude.

Looks like quality in those shots, but I keep getting Page not found when I click on the links.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:33 AM   #794
cool dude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Cool2 oops

Hi,

Everyone's a critic...

The high quality ones are still uploading....give it another half an hour then try again....
cool dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:34 AM   #795
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 326
It's simple really. Adventure touring bikes should be able to do 450km before hitting reserve. That's my standard and my current bike does not meet it!