Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2011, 05:19 PM   #856
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
I called American Honda. They (he) had no information on the 2012 Crosstoureer coming to the USA.... but knew about the bike. Dutifully asked me why I would want the bike...attributes I liked etc. The rep said he would pass it on.

Apparently the Crosstourer was not on display for the San Mateo Motorcycle show last weekend.
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:26 AM   #857
doggrell3000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
please honda - bring the crosstourer to the usa

why are the japanese bike makers so cautious about the usa market ? the honda crosstourer is a beautifully designed bike with a class leading four cylinder engine . i appreciate its conservative appearance - although i hope they will offer a set of wheels without spokes ( like the new triumph 1200 explorer ) and also offer an all black paint job . ( every motorcycle should have an optional all black paint color in my humble opinion ) . what baffles me is why honda would not sell any significant bike like the crosstourer here in the usa . i believe it would sell at least as well as the yamaha super tenere and the new triumph 1200 explorer . in fact i think i would personally choose the honda crosstourer over the bmw adventure bike . the honda is probably not as capable off the beaten path as the other adventure bikes in its class but lets face it - only 10% of adventure bike riders are actually going to be riding the colorado dirt trails . the appeal of the honda crosstourer is for durable cross country touring and smooth reliable comfortable back road cruising . so i hope honda sells the crosstourer in the usa . make mine all black with six strut aluminum wheels . otherwise i will be going for the new triumph 1200 explorer in late february - my second choice . they are both great cross country all around adventure bikes that will last forever with regular care and maintenance . just my two cents .
doggrell3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:11 AM   #858
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggrell3000 View Post
why are the japanese bike makers so cautious about the usa market ?
Because people in the USA want six strut aluminum wheels and Honda has wire spoke wheels.

Too fussy.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:33 AM   #859
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,078
Quote:
the honda crosstourer is a beautifully designed bike with a class leading four cylinder engine . .
That's quote from marketing pack, no?

What's the "class leading four cylinder engine"? Definition please - what class, why leading

Guys, why don't you book cheapest flight to Switzerland, get a test ride and only then make decisions?
Last bikes brought on assumptions to US flopped horribly and it was public who flopped them. How can you commit to spend 20 000 $ blind dating with bike, you never rode? I am genuinely surprised. Or may be I am too poor to understand.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:59 AM   #860
doggrell3000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
choosing the honda crosstourer without test riding

i choose motorcycles based on the pretty pictures posted by the manufacturer on their website . i could not care less how it performs while actually riding the honda crosstourer because i will never even start the engine much less leave my driveway . after blowing $20000 or more for a two wheeled death machine i will then park it in my garage and never ride the bike because i would probably crash into a truck during the first ten miles and splatter my guts all over the street . i just buy a motorcycle so i can park it permanently beside my ferrari 428 spyder in an effort to impress my friends - assuming they happen to wander through my car port and assuming i ever have any friends - which is not likely .
doggrell3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:31 PM   #861
G-Wing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twohondas View Post
Apparently the Crosstourer was not on display for the San Mateo Motorcycle show last weekend.
Bummed! I got my tickets to the Long Beach IMS.....and I was really hoping to see my MC in person
"Excellent, there was a big one coming up ‘Cheap petrol in hell’, that really got me pondering, until I got a little closer and realised the ‘S’ had dropped off the sign advertising the Shell servo in Norseman. Shame really, it was a thought-provoking slogan." - Katie em
G-Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:31 PM   #862
G-Wing
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb Quit your pissin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
That's quote from marketing pack, no?

What's the "class leading four cylinder engine"? Definition please - what class, why leading

Guys, why don't you book cheapest flight to Switzerland, get a test ride and only then make decisions?
Last bikes brought on assumptions to US flopped horribly and it was public who flopped them. How can you commit to spend 20 000 $ blind dating with bike, you never rode? I am genuinely surprised. Or may be I am too poor to understand.
Wait a minute, how many other 4 cyclinder Adventure bikes with shaft drive are you familiar with??? Before you give me crap let me confess: My name is GWing and I'm thinking of buying a barcalounger so I can snooze in the middle innings while watching baseball games on the tele. So now that I've cleared the air let me say that for SOME OF US the Adventure Riding starts when we leave the driveway. Kidding aside I've been riding a big KTM for a few years and while I enjoy the idea that I can go anywhere my huevos will take me, I realize it's not a dirt bike and at the end of the day when my off road riding friends want to stop for a beer, I just wanna go home and rest my aching muscles (yeah I got a little enduro to take care of my need to get dirty with friends). Couple that with my past on a Wingabego and the plush ride from 30 to 110, the constant and gentle breeze (fully under my control) that caressed face while I listened to Sat radio and conversed with my neighbors Both these riding experiences combined to leed me to realize that on my adventures I'm going to spend most of my time on the tarmac (cause picking up 600 pound of MC more than once a day gets old) and if there's a interesting dirt road (two wheel tracks of recent vintage) I just might head that way.

So generally I associate more cylinders with more muscle and a smoother power band, and a six speed transmission with a lower RPM at highway speed. I associate dualsport ergo's with upright riding position, feet below and just behind the knees, elbows soft and hands spread. I associate 1200cc with enough motor to pass when I want and to putt when I want and to do it all day without any complaint. I've ridden the KTM, GS, DL, and Tiger; I haven't ridden the S10. Regardless I know that I don't want a lateral move to a big KTM by any other name So without ever riding the Crosstourer I'm willing to bet it's as much a dual sport as I'll ever use and it's got the manners for long days on the highway or a sprint to the-uh juice bar.

Naw, I'm not ordering one till I read some ride test reports but hey, I'm smiling with visions of sugar plums....
"Excellent, there was a big one coming up ‘Cheap petrol in hell’, that really got me pondering, until I got a little closer and realised the ‘S’ had dropped off the sign advertising the Shell servo in Norseman. Shame really, it was a thought-provoking slogan." - Katie em
Old 11-22-2011, 11:21 PM   #863
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
Little bid off-topc... Just read the tech-spec of the new Tiger Explorer 1200... Fuel capacity is also 'only' 20 litres...

Knowing the guys at Triumph, the difference with Honda is that THEY LISTEN TO THEIR CUSTOMMERS. You can eat your hart out, that in the (nearby) future, an 'XL' version will be released with larger fuel capacity and spoked wheels.

Like Moto Guzzi did with the Stelvio NTX.

6-9 June 2014: 16th Varadero & 3rd Crosstourer International Meeting, GEIRANGER, NORWAY!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:05 AM   #864
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Wing View Post
Wait a minute, how many other 4 cyclinder Adventure bikes with shaft drive are you familiar with??? Before you give me crap let me confess: My name is GWing and I'm thinking of buying a barcalounger so I can snooze in the middle innings while watching baseball games on the tele. So now that I've cleared the air let me say that for SOME OF US the Adventure Riding starts when we leave the driveway. Kidding aside I've been riding a big KTM for a few years and while I enjoy the idea that I can go anywhere my huevos will take me, I realize it's not a dirt bike and at the end of the day when my off road riding friends want to stop for a beer, I just wanna go home and rest my aching muscles (yeah I got a little enduro to take care of my need to get dirty with friends). Couple that with my past on a Wingabego and the plush ride from 30 to 110, the constant and gentle breeze (fully under my control) that caressed face while I listened to Sat radio and conversed with my neighbors Both these riding experiences combined to leed me to realize that on my adventures I'm going to spend most of my time on the tarmac (cause picking up 600 pound of MC more than once a day gets old) and if there's a interesting dirt road (two wheel tracks of recent vintage) I just might head that way.

So generally I associate more cylinders with more muscle and a smoother power band, and a six speed transmission with a lower RPM at highway speed. I associate dualsport ergo's with upright riding position, feet below and just behind the knees, elbows soft and hands spread. I associate 1200cc with enough motor to pass when I want and to putt when I want and to do it all day without any complaint. I've ridden the KTM, GS, DL, and Tiger; I haven't ridden the S10. Regardless I know that I don't want a lateral move to a big KTM by any other name So without ever riding the Crosstourer I'm willing to bet it's as much a dual sport as I'll ever use and it's got the manners for long days on the highway or a sprint to the-uh juice bar.

Naw, I'm not ordering one till I read some ride test reports but hey, I'm smiling with visions of sugar plums....
you just got it a bit wrong - I was referring to straightforward quoting of marketing material in normal talk, I was not THAT serious
I hear you. I am same way very much (except I do not have GW as it would be pointless a bit in my rides).
I got nothing against engine, except that for me presence of 4 cylinders does not make motor class-leading or smooth or peaky or easy in top gear. I s It's smart tech. design makes class-leading. Other 4pot shafties? Let say BMW K. Or ST1300. As much of adventurer. BTW if you ride for example Varadero you see effortless trotting along in 6th at high speed with little rpms. This is more of twins habit than 4pots.
I am personally find this misleading that Honda position this as somehow "adventurer" exploiting wave of interest pointed at typically other type of bikes. For example - spoked wheels...I mean - at least Triumph guys are honest. Honda put this bike into "On/Off" category according to what I been told by Honda man on Honda stand on EICMA2011 and word "adventurer" was used all the time.
And I also do not understand how all this high-tech marketing talk resulted in one incredibly heavy bike. Sorry. In 5 incredibly heavy bikes - VFR, Crosstourer, Crosrunner, NC700S and NX700X.
And why Honda decided that they can disrespect customer (if you'd been in EICMA you would know ) and still expect loyalty.
BTW - Belgian model (I live in Belgium) just like VFR1200 comes limited to 100 bhp because Honda did not bother creating separate SKU for Belgium and we get French one (where they have 100 bhp restriction). Even my dealer have to sell VFRs in "kit" with rather expensive power commander as there no other way to de-restrict them. That's disrespect and disregard of customer in pure form. And I won't swap it for marketing talk.

Why test drive? Honestly, if it would be best bike in the world I'd still suggest test drive. Million reasons.
For example for me somehow ergos used in design of most of Yamahas do not work at all, but to feel it I needed test drive.
I tried BMW F800GS to discover that after 10 mins frame beams pushing on inside of thighs and make it very uncomfortable for me. I remember that wallowing of VFR1200 under hard cornering made me rethink whole reasons for not buying one. I can't afford to spend 20 grand without choosing what's best for me. I sincerely wish luck and would be happy for person, who can afford it.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:29 AM   #865
cardoctor1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
[QUOTE=G-Wing;17363848]Wait a minute, how many other 4 cyclinder Adventure bikes with shaft drive are you familiar with??? Before you give me crap let me confess: My name is GWing and I'm thinking of buying a barcalounger so I can snooze in the middle innings while watching baseball games on the tele. So now that I've cleared the air let me say that for SOME OF US the Adventure Riding starts when we leave the driveway. Kidding aside I've been riding a big KTM for a few years and while I enjoy the idea that I can go anywhere my huevos will take me, I realize it's not a dirt bike and at the end of the day when my off road riding friends want to stop for a beer, I just wanna go home and rest my aching muscles (yeah I got a little enduro to take care of my need to get dirty with friends). Couple that with my past on a Wingabego and the plush ride from 30 to 110, the constant and gentle breeze (fully under my control) that caressed face while I listened to Sat radio and conversed with my neighbors Both these riding experiences combined to leed me to realize that on my adventures I'm going to spend most of my time on the tarmac (cause picking up 600 pound of MC more than once a day gets old) and if there's a interesting dirt road (two wheel tracks of recent vintage) I just might head that way.

Naw, I'm not ordering one till I read some ride test reports but hey, I'm smiling with visions of sugar plums.

yep
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:33 AM   #866
Squily
Squily

Oddometer: 1,163
[QUOTE=cardoctor1;17364934]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Wing View Post
So generally I associate more cylinders with more muscle and a smoother power band, and a six speed transmission with a lower RPM at highway speed. I associate dualsport ergo's with upright riding position, feet below and just behind the knees, elbows soft and hands spread. I associate 1200cc with enough motor to pass when I want and to putt when I want and to do it all day without any complaint. ...

...So without ever riding the Crosstourer I'm willing to bet it's as much a dual sport as I'll ever use and it's got the manners for long days on the highway or a sprint to the-uh juice bar.

Naw, I'm not ordering one till I read some ride test reports but hey, I'm smiling with visions of sugar plums.

yep
And that sums it up for a lot of people I believe.

Squily
Squily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:50 AM   #867
Podman
Rocketman

Oddometer: 229
what squily said
Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:04 AM   #868
bigphish
Curiously Satisfying

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
i choose motorcycles based on the pretty pictures posted by the manufacturer on their website . i could not care less how it performs while actually riding the honda crosstourer because i will never even start the engine much less leave my driveway . after blowing $20000 or more for a two wheeled death machine i will then park it in my garage and never ride the bike because i would probably crash into a truck during the first ten miles and splatter my guts all over the street . i just buy a motorcycle so i can park it permanently beside my ferrari 428 spyder in an effort to impress my friends - assuming they happen to wander through my car port and assuming i ever have any friends - which is not likely .

I'll be your friend if you let me drive the Ferrari
bigphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #869
lonerockz
Permanent n00b

Oddometer: 663
I thought this bike was in the "Yet another Honda not coming to the states" class?
IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)
Rustic Roads Century Progress
lonerockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:00 PM   #870
G-Wing
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerockz View Post
I thought this bike was in the "Yet another Honda not coming to the states" class?
We hope to influence the decision makers at Honda as we grovel