Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #76
Motowalt
UNSTOPPABLE!

Oddometer: 415
I kinda like it, as long as it comes with the standard transmission, and not the DCT.

The tubeless wire wheels are a plus (wish I had 'em on my F800GS)...

Those saddlebags are pure ugly, but the aftermarket will most likely come up with something more manly.

Hopefully it weighs less and costs less then a GS1200.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #77
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasteam
From the pictures seems like Crosstourer has a better ground clearance than Super Tenere... Or is this just a wish full thinking ?
If you can detect a difference in ground clearance based on these sorts of photos, you have a better eye than me. If anything, it looks like the S10 might be slightly higher.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 11-02-2010 at 08:57 PM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #78
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,417
Single sided swingarm on the Honda? Do Honda make any other bikes with single sided swingarms and shaft drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
If you can detect a difference in ground clearance difference based on these sorts of photos, you have a better eye than me. If anything, it looks like the S10 might be slightly higher.

- Mark
Old 11-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #79
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,014
I think I like the looks of the Honda better than the S10....but I'm gonna go for what I can actually get.

All and all I think they did a pretty good job.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:56 PM   #80
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw
Single sided swingarm on the Honda? Do Honda make any other bikes with single sided swingarms and shaft drive?
Yes, that's the VFR1200F under the adventure skin.

- Mark
Old 11-02-2010, 09:06 PM   #81
JUNAC
Straight Shooter

Oddometer: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulasky
I don't think so :)

Is this the way the Tenere comes from the factory? Love that Akrapovic exhaust! That thing looks wicked.

KTM 950 ADVENTURE MUSCLE BIKE

XR650L WITH THE ARMY BOXES...R.I.P.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640254

JUNAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:21 PM   #82
JUNAC
Straight Shooter

Oddometer: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA
I love my Varadero. I would urge you to get one while you can, they will run out of stock at some point. The price is not too bad. Old Hondas become much loved Hondas as far as I can tell. I would advise to keep the XRL as a single track bike for a few years. I can honestly say that I have not worn out my street plated XR400R though and I have not ridden my DR650SE in a year. The XL1000VA is not light, is not a KTM950. etc but is is a great Adventure tourer and it is one hell of a lot cheaper than the new 1200 will be. AND IT HAS CHAIN DRIVE!!! Drive shafts (u-joints)do not like long travel suspensions at all. I think I would perfer a Vtwin to a V4 in an adventure tourer and who (at least in Canada) would need the power of a 1200, the 1000 has more than enough. My friend had a like 196X Honda 90 or some such. He went into the Honda dealer and got basically every part he needed to restore the bike. The parts man was his brother in law but he told me this story and I believe it is true.

From what I can determeine from the many hours I have spent on this site is that there are 100 different peoples version of an adventure bike. Some say the Suzuki DRZ400 is an ADV bike than there is the GS1200 and everything inbetween.

I want to be able to do 1000 mile days in something near comfort, I want to do gravel roads, I want something near weather protection like a good windsheild, heated grips and enough juice to power heated vest is good. I need enough weight in the bike to withstand side winds and transport trucks and bad spots on the roads, I need to be able to carry enough luggage to be on a long trip in some comfort, I want a great big gas tank even if it weights a ton, I like to be going 100 MPH when I pass a transport truck if I want to, I want good gas mileage, like a KLR650 or better even if I weight about twice what he weights and am wider by a bunch. Nice to be able to get aftermarket accessories for the bike too at a fair cost. A dead reliable bike and a good dealer network is a good thing too. All this and some things I forgot is the XL1000VA Honda Varadero my gentle readers.

JimmieA.
I love the reliability of the Honda XRL. That is why I am leaning towards the Veradero. There is an 08 available locally, new I believe, for $9200 CAD. Does this seem reasonable? The extent of my ADV riding has been mostly blasting down gravel roads with 950's and GS's at speeds normal people wouldn't travel on pavement. No trails in my area. Have to travel at least 4-6 hrs away for that. Also considering the Veradero so I can get my wife on the back. Thanks for your input.

KTM 950 ADVENTURE MUSCLE BIKE

XR650L WITH THE ARMY BOXES...R.I.P.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640254

JUNAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:02 PM   #83
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUNAC
Is this the way the Tenere comes from the factory? Love that Akrapovic exhaust! That thing looks wicked.
Ah, no.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=626274
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:10 PM   #84
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 333
lots of phots

This link goes to about 50 photos the new 1200 crosstourer

http://www.autoevolution.com/news-g-...792.html#image

Nice bike...
Old 11-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #85
sambora67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
its nice, hope the specs be out soon :) used to have a vara , now st1300 n if this is good will get it n sell of the st13,
sambora67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:53 PM   #86
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,674
didn't realize till just now the honda has old school forks???
all this and no usd forks honda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
If you can detect a difference in ground clearance based on these sorts of photos, you have a better eye than me. If anything, it looks like the S10 might be slightly higher.

- Mark
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:52 PM   #87
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Up Side Down...

Come on guys, what’s all that fuzz about USD forks? OK, looks? I don’t care. Not a bit. It’s like the endless discussion either an 21”front wheel would be preferable above < 21” in the dirt. Well... I managed quit well with my Buell Uly on 5.000 km South African Karoo dirt roads. Talking about something different as 21" front... If something is imbedded in the minds of the mass, they all start to think that it is the best. But for a big trail bike (who most likely won’t see any mud on its wheels) I see no point why USD forks would be an better option towards conventional forks. Trie to convince me.

And off the record: It’s an CONCEPT. Mend to trigger reactions from the public and you can eat your hart out that Honda will modify some bits and pieces on the production model. I’m sure of that.

Comparing with the S10… On first sight (the first pics released by Yamaha) I really fell in love with the S10. It looked huge. But in real live (had an near to 500 km test spin on one of those) it is TINY. Even with the adjustable saddle in highest position.

The GS1200, KTM LC8 Adventure and the Honda XL1000V Varadero, those are HUGE, tall bikes. But everything else (including the Duc MS and the Guzzi Stelvio) are quite, little bikes. Comparing both pics above on ground clearance is comparing apples with potatoes. Even with both pics as shown here on a different scale (here goes your comparing…) you can notice that the bash plate of the new Honda is slightly higher positioned as at the S10.

Have to see the real thing. I still like the S10 – very, very much – and if this new Honda could manage to get close to the ‘playful’ character I enjoyed with the S10, it would be candidate nr. 1 to replace my current 2004 Varadero ABS. With the S10 on a good 2nd position.

And what about the refreshed GS BMW? Get serious…
Attached Images

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:02 AM   #88
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ashman
I don't even think there are dirt roads in Europe, except in the Eastern part.
Can't even remotely agree with this statement. Spain, France, Italy, Portugal, Austria even Switzerland etc. all have quite a few dirt roads.

I guess what you meant that number of dirt roads in Europe that you can ride without risking being fined is limited? True, yet still plenty. It is matter of knowing your way as many times demonstrated by guys I know from DR Big club and Tenere club. Check again where majority of rally racers are from. Including Dakar.
Saying that and being Ukrainian I agree that in comparison there is 100 times more police-free non-privately-owned dirt roads in Eastern Europe and probably same in US.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:10 AM   #89
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs

Comparing with the S10… On first sight (the first pics released by Yamaha) I really fell in love with the S10. It looked huge. But in real live (had an near to 500 km test spin on one of those) it is TINY. Even with the adjustable saddle in highest position.

The GS1200, KTM LC8 Adventure and the Honda XL1000V Varadero, those are HUGE, tall bikes. But everything else (including the Duc MS and the Guzzi Stelvio) are quite, little bikes.
Bernard, I think you must add your height to your signature

Do I have to remind you not everyone is over 2 meter tall

See what I mean - check photo, tall guy is my friend and short guy is me. So, is that right or wrong size of bike?
Attached Images

bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:11 AM   #90
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

You can argue that USD forks aren't necessary or required for any given class of bike, but they are a genuine advancement in fork technology for several reasons, the big one being a reduction in unsprung weight. There's more than style involved here.

Honda has a history of taking good bikes and crippling them with bargain basement, sub-par suspension. Too early to tell with these new Hondas, but the use of conventional forks isn't a good omen.

- Mark