Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2011, 08:10 AM   #916
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,193
indeed, it's 75% the rider anyway not the bike.
the key is to know the limitations of the machine you're using.
the xtour will be able to travel easy to med. dirt all day long.
that's a given. it's what happens when it's pushed is the unknown at this point. the reports of the s10 are positive from this perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by precarious View Post
After seeing what a GSA can do in person, I'm sure the Honda will do just fine. In the hands of a skilled rider, even a 600lb machine can land MX jumps, rip single tracks, cruise over rocks and creeks, and step the tail out through berms. No smoke and mirrors, just good riding.

I'm not a BMW advocate by any means, but I've seen what the thing can do; it's a wonderful piece of engineering. Anyone who says it's a disgrace to adventure riding or incompetent offroad is an idiot. No, it's not a 450cc dirtbike, and it doesn't act like one. It can't get to out-of-the-way places as fast as a single, but it will get there. You know, barring any final drive failures

The reason you buy a liter-sized adventure bike is to soak up road miles so you can get to the adventure, to have the power to accelerate uphill, fully-loaded around a semi, and to have a chuckle as you float the front end past unsuspecting squids. If most of your time is spent off-road, then this isn't the bike for you. Buy an HP2, or a 990 SE, or an XR 650. But stop blasting good machines which perform their intended purpose well. Does it really come as any surprise that a 1200cc V4 Honda is heavy and is not a hardcore dirtbike? Come on, people...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #917
arrcrussell
Gimme Dirt

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
After seeing what a GSA can do in person, I'm sure the Honda will do just fine. In the hands of a skilled rider, even a 600lb machine can land MX jumps, rip single tracks, cruise over rocks and creeks, and step the tail out through berms. No smoke and mirrors, just good riding.

I'm not a BMW advocate by any means, but I've seen what the thing can do; it's a wonderful piece of engineering. Anyone who says it's a disgrace to adventure riding or incompetent offroad is an idiot. No, it's not a 450cc dirtbike, and it doesn't act like one. It can't get to out-of-the-way places as fast as a single, but it will get there. You know, barring any final drive failures

The reason you buy a liter-sized adventure bike is to soak up road miles so you can get to the adventure, to have the power to accelerate uphill, fully-loaded around a semi, and to have a chuckle as you float the front end past unsuspecting squids. If most of your time is spent off-road, then this isn't the bike for you. Buy an HP2, or a 990 SE, or an XR 650. But stop blasting good machines which perform their intended purpose well. Does it really come as any surprise that a 1200cc V4 Honda is heavy and is not a hardcore dirtbike? Come on, people...
Couldn't agree more. My GSA can get me from OH to CO relatively comfortably and then in CO I can still do Engineer pass and that's why I have it. However, I had hoped Honda would move in a "lighter" direction, not heavier.
arrcrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:03 PM   #918
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 956
Quote:
after seeing what a gsa can do in person, i'm sure the honda will do just fine. In the hands of a skilled rider, even a 600lb machine can land mx jumps, rip single tracks, cruise over rocks and creeks, and step the tail out through berms. No smoke and mirrors, just good riding.

I'm not a bmw advocate by any means, but i've seen what the thing can do; it's a wonderful piece of engineering. Anyone who says it's a disgrace to adventure riding or incompetent offroad is an idiot. No, it's not a 450cc dirtbike, and it doesn't act like one. It can't get to out-of-the-way places as fast as a single, but it will get there. You know, barring any final drive failures

The reason you buy a liter-sized adventure bike is to soak up road miles so you can get to the adventure, to have the power to accelerate uphill, fully-loaded around a semi, and to have a chuckle as you float the front end past unsuspecting squids. If most of your time is spent off-road, then this isn't the bike for you. Buy an hp2, or a 990 se, or an xr 650. But stop blasting good machines which perform their intended purpose well. Does it really come as any surprise that a 1200cc v4 honda is heavy and is not a hardcore dirtbike? Come on, people...
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrcrussell View Post
couldn't agree more. My gsa can get me from oh to co relatively comfortably and then in co i can still do engineer pass and that's why i have it. However, i had hoped honda would move in a "lighter" direction, not heavier.
+1
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:44 PM   #919
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,140
Not arguing your points, but ANY bike can get you ANYWHERE if right amount of force and skill applied and metal will last. People done RTW with loads offroad on VFRs and Fireblades and Supermagnas and rode r1 to on Erzberg etc.

At the end of the day it can be that

bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:57 AM   #920
lukasteam
Life is beautiful !!!

Oddometer: 414
Riding off road , especially big heavy bike like x-tourer suspension travel is the key. What I see from the pictures X-tourer has at least an inch and a half or even less suspension travel then S10 or GS . Imagine if you have loaded bags and weight 260lbs. 6'3" like me. Bottom of the engine-frame , bash plate will be scraping every time you hit a decent hole in the gravel or dirt road while riding at a decent speed . I want to see you get lost some where in the middle of Baja Mexico with this thing, good luck with that...
Yes , people say you can have an adventure on any bike. I have ridden many gravel , fire roads with my VTX1800 cruiser too , but WAS IT FUN ?... hell no. I couldn't wait to get back on the pavement. When I took my Africa Twin on the same roads I was flying three times faster and had a huge smile on my face because i was enjoying ruff roads and the bike was was engineered and built to travel roads like that .
Verdict is that the bike is built for the street riding, yes you can take it of road , but HOW MUCH FUN YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE DOING THAT , how fast are you going to travel ,how long your bike is going to serve you after abuse like that ?
These days fetish leather accessories wearing Harley riders call themselves adventure riders too ...
lukasteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:13 AM   #921
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,736
Lukasteam!

I agree all the way. Its all about the Grin Factor. Number 1 for off pavement in the big duallie class is the Big KTM. Number 2 is the Big Beamer. Had number 1 and now have number 2. Getting older. Others are catching up and thats great so we get more choices. Just wish the new contenders would put a little more performance in the off pavement aspect. Guess manufactuers have to look at the big picture,Sales. If they sell more bikes in areas of the world where there are very few gravel/dirt roads, then pavement aspect sells better. But here in North America where we have lots of both types of roads, I prefer a machine that can do both well. Street bikes are a dime a dozen but good Adventure Bikes are few and far between. "Come on Honda, build a real Adventure Bike".
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:29 AM   #922
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasteam View Post
Riding off road , especially big heavy bike like x-tourer suspension travel is the key.
On no, not at all. The heavier the bike, the less suspension travel it needs. A) because on a a heavy bike the unsprung mass is a smaller percentage of total mass, thus suspension works better and B) because a heavy bike goes slowly over the rough stuff.

Besides you are confusing suspension travel with ground clearance.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:34 AM   #923
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
The Japanese are conservative. They're playing it safe and offering more glorified sport-tourers. It's too bad because, when the 950 Adventure came out, the first thing all the magazine reviews raved about was its road manners. Then they took it off-road and loved it even more.
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:26 AM   #924
lukasteam
Life is beautiful !!!

RED CAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
On no, not at all. The heavier the bike, the less suspension travel it needs. A) because on a a heavy bike the unsprung mass is a smaller percentage of total mass, thus suspension works better and B) because a heavy bike goes slowly over the rough stuff.

Besides you are confusing suspension travel with ground clearance.
You right, maybe i wan't very clear in my explanations, but i would like a good ground clearance at least an inch and a half more so I can go places and at the same time have adequate suspension travel so i can blast through the ruff stuff fast without too much worries that my heavy bike will bottom out the suspension.
...I know , I know some folks will start telling me to get an XR or something if I'm so obsessed with ruff . I would if it only had 1200cc's and better wind protection

lukasteam screwed with this post 12-01-2011 at 09:35 AM
Old 12-01-2011, 09:33 AM   #925
lukasteam
Life is beautiful !!!

Quote:
The Japanese are conservative. They're playing it safe and offering more glorified sport-tourers. It's too bad because, when the 950 Adventure came out, the first thing all the magazine reviews raved about was its road manners. Then they took it off-road and loved it even more.
Yes Sir , 950, 990 Adventure is a phenomenal bike, the best one in big adventure bike class. It would be my choice , but reliability sucks that's why I was wishing Honda X-tourer would be something along these lines just bullet proof like all the Honda's that I had. Don't feel like changing clutches in the middle of nowhere , if you know what I mean
Old 12-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #926
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,884
Quote:
These days fetish leather accessories wearing Harley riders call themselves adventure riders too ...
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/forwood/mytrip.shtml

Can you beat this trip on your bike of choice?

No I don't own a Harley or care to. I've always said "It's not the bike, the adventure is in the rider"
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #927
lukasteam
Life is beautiful !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/forwood/mytrip.shtml

Can you beat this trip on your bike of choice?

No I don't own a Harley or care to. I've always said "It's not the bike, the adventure is in the rider"
...so you would take HD instead of your S10 for the RTW trip, right ? ...
Old 12-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #928
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,086

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #929
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
...so you would take HD instead of your S10 for the RTW trip, right ? ...
No. You said HD riders were calling themselves ADVriders. I simply showed how one
was out there making us all look like posers.

Reading these threads I get the feeling it's 90% whiners who complain how a bike
can't do this or that. The other 10% are out there riding the shit out them and could
care less what the keyboard crowd thinks.

Would you ride this RTW?

There will NEVER be the perfect bike. Just the accepting rider who looks for his/her
own adventure with the equipment they choose to use.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #930
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post

996DL