Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #946
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,314
I had a chat with my friend at Honda Canada. He says the 1200 is a sure thing next year, probably as an early 13 model in Canada anyway, he wasn't as sure about the 800 though. Most likely seeing as the Varedero is ceasing production soon, they will need to replace it.
Looks great, doubt it will be in my budget next year though.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:52 PM   #947
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
Anything definitive re: availability in the US?
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #948
G-Wing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Cry not good news

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaHog View Post
Anything definitive re: availability in the US?
I spoke to Honda USA rep at the IMS in Long Beach yesterday He wouldn't (or couldn't?) say when but did say not this model year
"Excellent, there was a big one coming up ‘Cheap petrol in hell’, that really got me pondering, until I got a little closer and realised the ‘S’ had dropped off the sign advertising the Shell servo in Norseman. Shame really, it was a thought-provoking slogan." - Katie em
G-Wing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #949
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
How'm I supposed to buy a used one, if they won't sell them new?
Frustrating!
Old 12-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #950
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Wing View Post
I spoke to Honda USA rep at the IMS in Long Beach yesterday He wouldn't (or couldn't?) say when but did say not this model year
Jeez - I've owned Honda's and found them bulletproof, but they sure aren't making this easy. The Triumph may get my $$ by default...
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:07 AM   #951
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
I had a chat with my friend at Honda Canada. He says the 1200 is a sure thing next year, probably as an early 13 model in Canada anyway, he wasn't as sure about the 800 though. Most likely seeing as the Varedero is ceasing production soon, they will need to replace it.
Looks great, doubt it will be in my budget next year though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Wing View Post
Quote:
Jeez - I've owned Honda's and found them bulletproof, but they sure aren't making this easy. The Triumph may get my $$ by default...
They're bringing it to Canada but I'd never buy another bike that only gets imported to Canada and not the US. Made that mistake with my CBF. Parts are scarce and expensive and no aftermarket support because they only sell maybe a dozen bikes to us Canadians.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:13 AM   #952
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
They're bringing it to Canada but I'd never buy another bike that only gets imported to Canada and not the US. Made that mistake with my CBF. Parts are scarce and expensive and no aftermarket support because they only sell maybe a dozen bikes to us Canadians.
I would think most mechanical parts would still be readily available since it's a redressed VFR. Things like brake pads, engine sensors, bearings, seals, etc. shouldn't be a problem. Maybe that's just wishful thinking, though. Body parts... that's another story.

What did you have trouble with for the CBF?
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:30 AM   #953
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by precarious View Post
I would think most mechanical parts would still be readily available since it's a redressed VFR. Things like brake pads, engine sensors, bearings, seals, etc. shouldn't be a problem. Maybe that's just wishful thinking, though. Body parts... that's another story.

probably had to pay an arm and a leg for supply/wear items from honda and he could not find any aftermarket.

the same story was repeated w/ the 1st year of the versys in the canada (but not in the us) no aftermarket what so ever to be found and then after it came to the us, plenty of aftermarket to be had.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #954
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:

Within one month my fuel pump went, $750 and my stator, $550. It was near the end of riding season so I ordered the fuel pump from my local dealer and ate the cost, but the stator failed near the end of the season so I ordered from a UK dealer and had it shipped to my door for $330??? No idea why Honda Canada think a stator is worth over $200 more than it is anywhere else in the world.

As usual stators are a known weak spot on the CBFs, just like on the CBRs, VFRs, Goldwings etc. Honda UK are quietly replacing failed stators, even out of warranty. Honda USA extended the warranty on CBR stators for the 2005 models I believe, and even though the CBF motor is a detuned 2005 CBR motor Honda Canada simply denied any warranty claim or good will gesture when my stator failed even though I showed them over 40 documented failures from the CBF forum.

At least if a bike is imported to the US we have the option of shopping for parts over the border with greater availability, pricing etc.

BTW my dealer almost fell off his stool when he looked up the price on the fuel pump. Said it was the most expensive pump he had ever ordered. I think its because the CBF has a gas gauge and the pump comes complete with the float and electronics for the gauge. Which doesn't work worth a damn anyway, I always just use the trip meter. Lesson learned and Honda have lost a customer, for good.

PS 24,000kms on the bike when the parts blew up. My dealer was expecting to see a buildup of crud on the fuel filter from ethanol. He's seen quite a few plugged filters and just generally grungy tanks, but my tank and fuel pump filter were spotless. I always fill up at either Shell or Chevron stations with know good gas and use Stabil whenever the bike sits for a month or more over the winter.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #955
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Within one month my fuel pump went, $750 and my stator, $550. It was near the end of riding season so I ordered the fuel pump from my local dealer and ate the cost, but the stator failed near the end of the season so I ordered from a UK dealer and had it shipped to my door for $330??? No idea why Honda Canada think a stator is worth over $200 more than it is anywhere else in the world.

As usual stators are a known weak spot on the CBFs, just like on the CBRs, VFRs, Goldwings etc. Honda UK are quietly replacing failed stators, even out of warranty. Honda USA extended the warranty on CBR stators for the 2005 models I believe, and even though the CBF motor is a detuned 2005 CBR motor Honda Canada simply denied any warranty claim or good will gesture when my stator failed even though I showed them over 40 documented failures from the CBF forum.

At least if a bike is imported to the US we have the option of shopping for parts over the border with greater availability, pricing etc.

BTW my dealer almost fell off his stool when he looked up the price on the fuel pump. Said it was the most expensive pump he had ever ordered. I think its because the CBF has a gas gauge and the pump comes complete with the float and electronics for the gauge. Which doesn't work worth a damn anyway, I always just use the trip meter. Lesson learned and Honda have lost a customer, for good.

PS 24,000kms on the bike when the parts blew up. My dealer was expecting to see a buildup of crud on the fuel filter from ethanol. He's seen quite a few plugged filters and just generally grungy tanks, but my tank and fuel pump filter were spotless. I always fill up at either Shell or Chevron stations with know good gas and use Stabil whenever the bike sits for a month or more over the winter.
Ah, I see. Crazy Canadian pricing. I had the same reaction when I priced a fuel pump for my Strom: $600+. In-tank pumps are LAME.
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #956
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Ah, I see. Crazy Canadian pricing. I had the same reaction when I priced a fuel pump for my Strom: $600+. In-tank pumps are LAME.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:56 AM   #957
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Fuelpumps vv Honda's

@ Bross (with the danger of going slightly offtopic here): Fuelpumps have been an issue on many Honda's. There are plenty of good, reliable and affordable alternatives on the marked, f.e. the Facet fuel pump (used on many Africa Twins and MK1 Varadero's) and the QH (Quintin Hazel) fuel pump, originally designed for a Rover motorcar: 30€... per piece.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:14 AM   #958
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,999
I had a look at a catalog and only saw low psi carb pumps.

Have you got some parts info?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:32 AM   #959
Future ten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Its a shame, I feel the same way and very close to doing so. I am in a holding pattern and dieing to join the adventure world. Im a huge Honda fan and always have been. I have a VFR 1200 being offered to me at 10,900 and so tempted to grab it. (2010) such an expensive platform for a bike, the cross tour will be 15 and up all day long I would think.
Future ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:43 AM   #960
Motorman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future ten View Post
Its a shame, I feel the same way and very close to doing so. I am in a holding pattern and dieing to join the adventure world. Im a huge Honda fan and always have been. I have a VFR 1200 being offered to me at 10,900 and so tempted to grab it. (2010) such an expensive platform for a bike, the cross tour will be 15 and up all day long I would think.
The Honda VFR 1200 is a wonderful, powerful bike. However, have you ridden it???
The suspension is very firm, good for well-maintained roads, but really rough for the midwest heavers.
BTW, surprisingly the suspension is not adjustable.