Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #976
mountainmeterman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
I have been thinking more and more about replacing my DL1000 with a slightly used yet modern "adventure" bike in two to three years. I ruled out the Stelvio because my knees touch the cylinder heads (34" inseam). I ruled out the Explorer because to my eye the styling looks gaudy and juvenile (I'm 48 years old).

That leaves the S10 and the XTour. At first I thought the weight of the XTour would rule it out for me, but then I started comparing it to the S10. The difference in weight is approx 36 lbs. If the S10 had a single sided swingarm and a comparable V4 stump puller engine, would it not weigh as much or even more than the XTour? I expect the XTour to be priced higher, but I also expect the engine and tech to be more impressive. And judge me as you wish, but I am really drawn to that automatic transmission. Honda made a few refinements to the VFR1200F for 2012, and I hope that they will be implemented to the new XTour as well. The relatively late release fits right in with my plans. By that time I will have hit some financial goals and will reward myself with a little indulgence. Having said all that, I am still not ruling out the S10, which could actually move my plans up by a year. Temptations...

mountainmeterman screwed with this post 12-17-2011 at 04:03 PM
mountainmeterman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:36 PM   #977
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
^ that pretty much sums it up for me.

I get really sick of clutching in stop and go. And a scooter would make me nuts on the open road, or on daytrips in the mountains.

In a couple of years I'll be out of school and I'll be looking for one of these. But, I'm an admitted Honda brand whore.

The semi-auto trans looks very nice to me and an adv bike with a v4 exhaust note sounds even better.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:19 AM   #978
omeoxlv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmeterman View Post
I have been thinking more and more about replacing my DL1000 with a slightly used yet modern "adventure" bike in two to three years. I ruled out the Stelvio because my knees touch the cylinder heads (34" inseam). I ruled out the Explorer because to my eye the styling looks gaudy and juvenile (I'm 48 years old).

That leaves the S10 and the XTour. At first I thought the weight of the XTour would rule it out for me, but then I started comparing it to the S10. The difference in weight is approx 36 lbs. If the S10 had a single sided swingarm and a comparable V4 stump puller engine, would it not weigh as much or even more than the XTour? I expect the XTour to be priced higher, but I also expect the engine and tech to be more impressive. And judge me as you wish, but I am really drawn to that automatic transmission. Honda made a few refinements to the VFR1200F for 2012, and I hope that they will be implemented to the new XTour as well. The relatively late release fits right in with my plans. By that time I will have hit some financial goals and will reward myself with a little indulgence. Having said all that, I am still not ruling out the S10, which could actually move my plans up by a year. Temptations...
I too have been looking at the options and on my short list are the S10 and the xtour. I like the idea of the semi auto but its not make or break. I do ride a TDM and the motor is very similar in the S10. Its hard to beat in terms of feel and sound. What finally put me off the xtour was the sound of it, even with aftermarket pipes it sounds crap. To do with the cranktiming i believe. Have a listen to an S10 with a "waspworks carbon pipe" on it. That and the feel make it a winner for me.
cheers Graeme
omeoxlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:07 AM   #979
arrcrussell
Gimme Dirt

Oddometer: 545
Quote:
i have been thinking more and more about replacing my dl1000 with a slightly used yet modern "adventure" bike in two to three years. I ruled out the stelvio because my knees touch the cylinder heads (34" inseam). I ruled out the explorer because to my eye the styling looks gaudy and juvenile (i'm 48 years old).

That leaves the s10 and the xtour. At first i thought the weight of the xtour would rule it out for me, but then i started comparing it to the s10. The difference in weight is approx 36 lbs. If the s10 had a single sided swingarm and a comparable v4 stump puller engine, would it not weigh as much or even more than the xtour? I expect the xtour to be priced higher, but i also expect the engine and tech to be more impressive. And judge me as you wish, but i am really drawn to that automatic transmission. Honda made a few refinements to the vfr1200f for 2012, and i hope that they will be implemented to the new xtour as well. The relatively late release fits right in with my plans. By that time i will have hit some financial goals and will reward myself with a little indulgence. Having said all that, i am still not ruling out the s10, which could actually move my plans up by a year. Temptations...
bmw gs?
arrcrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:43 AM   #980
RoadRdr
Mostly Pavement

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrcrussell View Post
bmw gs?
I'd really like to. I was fully prepared to buy a 2010 or newer GS. I visited dealers and did test rides. The only decision I thought I had left to make was Adv version or GS. Then the more I read about final drives, clutch cables, lack of dealer network and expensive dealer service I was compelled to search in another direction.

I still get tempted. I really like the GS. But logic is telling me to hang on a bit longer to see what Honda does about releasing the *XTourererer. Have I mentioned I hate that name.

*Note to Honda NA - C'mon Honda drop that Crosstourererer name, its not an Accord. If you want these to sell don't strangle it with such a stupid name. Numbers and Letter will suffice.
RoadRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:56 AM   #981
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,119
Geez, between the way it sounds with aftermarket pipes, and with it's name being used on a suv,
I certainly hope these important and valid concerns, don't "sink the ship" before it even hits the market.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:28 AM   #982
mountainmeterman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrcrussell View Post
bmw gs?
Price, perceived ongoing expenses, and perceived reliability rule out the GS for me.
mountainmeterman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #983
Motorman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
What's the point???
The Crossdresser is not coming to the US, sooooooo............
Old 12-18-2011, 11:38 PM   #984
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
Price, perceived ongoing expenses, and perceived reliability rule out the GS for me.
Honestly... Even a hard-core Honda fan like me thinks that this problem has been solved by BMW. I'm very curious about the new BMW liquid cooled boxer for example. We all make funny jokes about BMW but we should keep in mind that it is BMW who is 'leading' the big trail bike market World Wide... If you sell high quontities of machines, chances that a few will brake down is higher...

Let's face it... American build (and developed) cars have quit an bad reputation on aspects of build quality and fuel economy comparing with Japanese and European marques. But in the US, they still sell... ;)

Besides the price tag which seems to be integrated on a 1200GS (incl high costs for spare parts and labour) there is only one reason why I won't own a R1200GS:

Everybody already owns one.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:36 AM   #985
omeoxlv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post
Geez, between the way it sounds with aftermarket pipes, and with it's name being used on a suv,
I certainly hope these important and valid concerns, don't "sink the ship" before it even hits the market.

996DL
Fair enough, the sarcasm would be valid on a bike that hasnt been released yet but the engine exists in the VFR and the sound is crap!
Graeme
omeoxlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:17 AM   #986
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeoxlv View Post
Fair enough, the sarcasm would be valid on a bike that hasnt been released yet but the engine exists in the VFR and the sound is crap!
Graeme
The SUV is the Honda CrossTour.

The SUM is the Honda CrossTourer.

Little difference... besides the lack of 2 wheels.

(SUM: Sports Utility Motorcycle)

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:00 AM   #987
RoadRdr
Mostly Pavement

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
The SUV is the Honda CrossTour.

The SUM is the Honda CrossTourer.

Little difference... besides the lack of 2 wheels.

(SUM: Sports Utility Motorcycle)
That's my point. Honda wouldn't name the new Gold Wing, the Accorder or Civicker.

I was trying to convince myself that BMW would have fixed the final drive issue with the 2010 remake. But it was a post on here that swayed me in the opposite direction. A BMW loyalist announced after owning several BMWs over the last decade plus, he was fed up with being stranded and having obvious defects refused warranty coverage. He switched brands.

I want to buy and ride a GS. I don't mind spending the money but it may not be the best choice for me.

Factors in my decision:
1 - I like to do my own maintenance, not sure I can on the more complicated BMW. But that may also be true of any 2012 model. I've read I can't do my own brake fluid changes, etc.
2 - If there truly is a higher need to visit BMW dealers service shops, the lack of dealer network is a concern. Even in the overpopulated Northeast US.
3 - I farkle. A LOT. I'm not certain I understand the whole Canbus thing well enough to be confident I won't screw something up. I didn't say I was good at farkling, I said I do it. A lot. I like installing just about any gadget I see.
4 - I like reliable. I drive a Honda CRV, wife a Civic, Son1 an Element, his wife a Fit, son 2 Accord, his girlfriend Accord. Its my 4th Honda in a row and I tend to keep them for a long time.

I won't be going off road much. And then it would be fairly well traveled dirt roads. But I like the seating/riding position on my DL1000 and the smooth mile burning V4 on my ST1100. The XTour seems like it has the potential to bring those two together. If they bring it to the US I'll be one of the first to test ride it.

I'd still buy a BMW GS if things don't work out with the import of the Honda and I can be convinced my concerns are irrelevant. I want to wear the round Roundel.
RoadRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #988
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,119
This bike has great potential as an upright tourer, anyone with a head above their shoulders, can acknowledge that.

Few things I like more nowadays, than hearing a motorcycle with a stock exhaust system hum by, sounds so damned sophisticated, compared to loud piped cruisers and obnoxious, slip on equipped sport bikes.

But that's just me, I'm heading well into the oldster bracket and for the most part, I appreciate the calmer attitude, that seems to come with it. I remember hearing an ST1300 ride by this summer, it had slipons and sounded truly horrid and out of place, juvenile even.

Personally I don't care what a motorcycle's named, I concentrate on build format, vibration control, serviceability, reliability, whether it's power outputs suit my requirements, yadda, yadda, just like most of the rest of us.

This bike bike won't fit into the same, semi-serious offroad capabilities of the GS / Tenere types, but offers the gravel road folks, a 19" front and spoked wheels for major hit absorbtion, should satisfy most in that category.

Triumph has been the first to the market, to acknowledge that combining an adv bike and cruise control, isn't blasphemy after all and this Honda is somewhat lacking because of it.

With positive reviews and aggressive, instead of premium pricing, this bike could do alright.
It won't affect BMW's avalanche of success in the adv segment, but it will afford the consumer,
one more well thought out alternative. IMO

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:27 AM   #989
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,103
I just saw this on the Honda UK site. Might have to think about getting one. Found a loop hole in the whole US Spec vs. Non US Spec thing last year when I returned from Germany. I bought my Uly through AAFES screwed up the import paperwork. Had to go to the Customs office to have it certified for US registration. I get there and the explain the situation. Customs guy asks if I have my US Army Europe registration. I had it to him, he verifies the VIN on the registration, and then says come inside, it will be a couple minutes. 10 minutes later I was walking out with my paperwork to get my US plates. It was a CA model, but hell I could have had a Euro model and told him it was US. He didn't run the VIN through any database either. So going to keep riding my Tiger 955i till I get stationed back in Germany. Before you go to the sites and start comparing prices, the 19% sales tax in Germany is included in the price. I don't know what taxes are included in the price in the UK, just know that its their sales tax and road tax.

On another tangent, for you Americans that just gasped at the 19% sales tax in Germany, its the lowest in Europe, that is on everything including an automobile, and it is related to socialized health. Just a note for all you Obama supporters. My wife paid 50% income tax also: socialized healthcare. I am now off my soapbox!!
Old 12-20-2011, 06:25 AM   #990
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,160
Quote:

Price (buy used. A nice 2005 can be had for $8000), perceived ongoing expenses (Service it yourself, save thousands) and perceived reliability (I've put over 100,000 miles on my beemers and have had ZERO issues (that were not my fault from off-roading/abusing). If something breaks, you fix it and keep on riding!) rule out the GS for me.

I used to be a Honda fanatic, 9 of the first 10 bikes I owned were Honda. I was a Honda motorcycle salesman in the 90's while doing my undergrad work. Honda makes great stuff and I'm sure this new bike will be fast, smooth, and go 100,000 miles without a hiccup. But for the last 10 years, Honda has been way too conservative making boring appliances. Yamaha and Kawasaki have been flexing and taking the lead in terms of guts. From the pictures I've seen, that Honda looks to pretty, has too much exposed plastic and looks too refined to be dropped in the mud. I suspect that would be an expensive mistake. It will be nothing more than a touring bike that looks the part. You might as well buy a FJR or ST1300.
Although, I'll admit that I am drawn to that new snazzy Yamaha! Great bike, traction control, spoke wheels and a slew of other stuff for $14,500.

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 12-20-2011 at 01:14 PM
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote