Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 02:35 AM   #1021
JHa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by precarious View Post
With dealer incentives on leftover models, Wing prices have been down in the high teens, jackass.

My mistake on the price comparison. Your mistake at being a belligerent prick.

Regardless, my point on price hurting the VFR is nevertheless valid.
Calm down, don't take it so seriously. I didn't name you any way...

But what your wrote about the prices was a bullshit, if Wing prices have been don't then so are VFR prices.
JHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #1022
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHa View Post
Maybe you should go back to school and learn to calculate.
Not cool, man

Happy New Year!
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #1023
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
Skid plate not required for a street bike... except maybe at Starbucks.

Regards, Paul
Well, "Pauly", there ain't no Starbucks for 80 miles out here where I live but there are a shit load of rocks that will tear up the bottom of that bike getting me to town, so I will need the skid plate. When I get to town, I'll honk at you there at Starbucks, so raise you coffee cup high when I pass it by.

2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure for street work / KTM 950 Super Enduro for Dirt work !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #1024
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
Really? 33-36mpg imperial..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHa View Post
More likely 50+mpg imperial or are you referring to MK I figures?
My year 2005 Varadero Mk II averaged around 53mpg during those 23700 miles I owned it.
Exactly, @JHa, I confirm. From 2003, the MK2 Varadero was introduced with fuel injection. Till 2003, the MK1 bike was build with carb fueling only. But had some major improvements (also on aspect of fuel consumption) in 2001.

We own both (the 04 MK2 and the 2000 model MK1). Our MK1 doesn't perform that bad, but I've changed the carburettor settings (dynojet), muffler and added an BMC airfilter. Note... the bike has done way over 100.000 miles since I bought it new in 2000. My MK2 has done 55.000 miles since I bought it late 2004 (August).

Regarding fuel... I think Imperial gallons is the way to express them? Or US gallons? Lets take Imperial gallons in my showcase below...:

The MK2 (I own a 2004 ABS model) does 55-60 mpg with no pain on country-roads (Cruising at 100 km/h - +/- 65 mph), even with full luggage (in my case... 2 H&B Alu Standard panniers). That's 1,6 Gallon per 100 Miles, if my 'calculations' and conversion to EU metrics are right (up to 4,7 liter/100 km)

On interstate- speeds (say German Autobahn or Dutch motorways (130 km/h - 80 mph or faster) the fuel consumption of the old MK1 goes up comparing it with my MK2: up to + 1 liter / 0,25 Imperial gallon per tankstop.

I think, its a - very - good fuel consumption for a tall, 285 kg heavy bike. And I wonder why a brand new bike which is supposed to replace the Varadero can't do better; Honda has the knowhow to build a proper engine - look at the new 700cc parralel twin which was revealed in the new NC700X, for example... Just as much power as an old Transalp 600 (48 Bhp), but a fuel consumption rated up to a staggering 85 Mpg (In a few first test ratings in EU motorcycle magazines, the test reporters noticed already 75 mpg without riding 'carefully'!)

The Crosstourer is (on Internet and a German Honda fact sheet) rated to have a fuel consumption near to 45 Mpg which I think is disappointing... And after my test ride on the new VFR1200F after its introduction, I already noticed the fuel consumption in a negative aspect. So, these figures, if they are right and confirmed, aren't a big surprise... Unfortunately. And together with less fuel capacity (the Varadero got a proper 25 liter / 5,5 Imp gallon fuel tank, the Pan European ST1300 even 28 liters / 6+ gallons) it would make the bike less interesting for the Globetrotters amongst us.

Even a BMW R1200GS has better specs... And you can eat your hart out, that the new liquid cooled GS will even perform better than the old aircooled ones...!

I wonder what kind of figures the new Triumph Tiger 1200 will make. Fact is, that most larger Honda motorcycles have a tendency to show improved figures on aspect of fuel consumption as the mileage increases...

We have to wait and see what's coming. Like written earlier, first press releases / test ride introductions are scheduled late February 2012.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #1025
atermon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post

The MK2 (I own a 2004 ABS model) does 55-60 mpg with no pain on country-roads (Cruising at 100 km/h - +/- 65 mph), even with full luggage (in my case... 2 H&B Alu Standard panniers). That's 1,6 Gallon per 100 Miles, if my 'calculations' and conversion to EU metrics are right (up to 4,7 liter/100 km)
4,7 lt/100km is rather unheard of where I came from.
average consumption for a MK2 is in the 6-6,5 lt/100km region for a healthy mixture of urban/country/freeway. drops to about 5,5lt/100km for country roads at a moderate speed only.
so the mileage claimed by Honda for the Crosstourer isn't that bad of a surprise for me. would have hoped for better but won't get hang over it.
atermon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #1026
zarly
Action Pants!

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
There will NEVER be the perfect bike. Just the accepting rider who looks for his/her
own adventure with the equipment they choose to use.
I agree, well said.

Victoria, BC
Canada
zarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #1027
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,433
Originally Posted by pluric
There will NEVER be the perfect bike. Just the accepting rider who looks for his/her

I don't know, this is close ! ! ! Just needs saddle bags and me on top of it.

2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure for street work / KTM 950 Super Enduro for Dirt work !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #1028
phobe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Honda guy at Calgary motorcycle show says no Xtourer for Canada. He says the price would have to be well over 20 grand for them to make a business case which would price it out of the market. Also, they are still trying to get rid of new 2008 Varaderos.
phobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #1029
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
Originally Posted by pluric

I don't know, this is close ! ! ! Just needs saddle bags and me on top of it.

You're damn right!
Old 01-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #1030
mountainmeterman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
I have read some conjecture that the DCT design could be obsoleted by a newer design called Instantaneous Gearchange System, from a British company XTrac. Honda had better release this bike to the market before the perception gets too beat up.
mountainmeterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #1031
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmeterman View Post
I have read some conjecture that the DCT design could be obsoleted by a newer design called Instantaneous Gearchange System, from a British company XTrac. Honda had better release this bike to the market before the perception gets too beat up.
All Honda has to do is come out with Instant DCT. IDCT. Engineering -> Marketing -> Marketing.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #1032
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by phobe View Post
Honda guy at Calgary motorcycle show says no Xtourer for Canada. He says the price would have to be well over 20 grand for them to make a business case which would price it out of the market. Also, they are still trying to get rid of new 2008 Varaderos.
Was it Honda Canada that decided to merge with the US importer?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #1033
precarious
Studly Adventurer

I think Honda has already obsoleted their own DCT with their new Moto GP gearbox. Cycle World had a schematic a few months ago. Supposedly, it's really awesome.

I don't know how to make sense of the drawing, but it looks sweet.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #1034
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by phobe View Post
What other choice could they have made after the Varadero was such a huge bust. When they can't sell off the 08, 09 and 2010 Varaderos even at discounted prices, why bringing in another over weight, and even more expensive model? Their dealer's showrooms are already full of bikes that nobody wants.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #1035
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
Well, "Pauly", there ain't no Starbucks for 80 miles out here where I live but there are a shit load of rocks that will tear up the bottom of that bike getting me to town, so I will need the skid plate. When I get to town, I'll honk at you there at Starbucks, so raise you coffee cup high when I pass it by.
Sure give a honk and stop in, I'll buy ya a latte...

My point is, this monster is not a dirt bike, it's a street bike in dirt dual sport clothing.... for those who wan to profile like Charlie and Erwin.
I'm sure you would agree, this is not the best bike to go running around the deserts in Tx.

Regards, Paul