Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #1261
Shepski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
I had a 2 hour test ride on the Crosstourer today immediately after test rides on the 1200 Triumph Explorer and Yamaha Super Tenere. They were all great bikes, and in my opinion way better than the BMW GS. However for me the Crosstourer was the best, superb bike LOVED IT
Old 04-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #1262
Ross Brown
One AU out

Oddometer: 67

Not even out of the crate. This is the demo bike as it arrived in CycleSpot Honda, Auckland, NZ today.
As an Africa Twin owner with a love of dirt roads and a longing for a lighter Africa Twin–one with 30 more horsepower–I wanted to dislike this bike. Too big. Too road oriented. But in the flesh, it is so much narrower in the waist at the tank seat junction than a Vara or an Africa Twin.

I could believe that Honda is starting to turn a corner and head back toward offering adventure riders what they want. Look at the rear wheel. Spokes, beautifully executed with minimal extra weight around the rim, and there is less 'cosmetic-only' plastic on this bike than recent Honda offerings. I would say it sits midway between a wrapped-in-plastic Transalp and the see-through-the-frame BMW800GS. Also the slimness of the seat combined with a lot of openness around the 'shoulders' of the bike (ie. where the top of the tank meets the base of the screen) gives it the feeling that all the mass is carried lower down. This is a bike I COULD buy to replace my 2003 @. Didn't think I say that before I saw the bike in the REAL. Like a BMW GSA, it looks like it would be a great two-up touring bike.

Better yet would be if Honda could just give us half the bike; 600cc two cylinder, shaft drive, adventure bike (21 inch front wheel too) please.

Ross Brown screwed with this post 04-18-2012 at 08:18 PM
Ross Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:30 AM   #1263
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,700
Did you get to have a listen to it running?

If it sounds that good with the oem exhaust how good will it be with a quality aftermarket one?

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:45 AM   #1264
Shepski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
When i rode the Crosstourer, I felt that the noise when you pull away in low gears was very like a BMW GS, and yet when the revs rise it has definitely got the classic Honda V4 sound, but it is very quiet.

Another thing was how quiet this bike is mechanically, no real engine clatter or noise at all, mind you i have a V Strom 650 which is quite noisy mechanically.

I am already saving up to buy one in red !!!!! next year when i can get a nearly new one for a good saving
Old 04-20-2012, 03:32 AM   #1265
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
I would be very much interessted to read first impressions regarding maintenance costs regarding fuel consumption, regular maintenance, etc from the first buyers coming from 'real live' experiences! So, keep on posting, guys!

Its at my local Honda agent too, since a couple of weeks. And must admitt... in comparising with f.e. the Yam S10 and the new Tiger Explorer (and even the R1200GS) it ís put together very, very well... I really love the build-off quality of the Honda.

And Yes. Red is - by far - the best colour!

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #1266
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
Had my first sighting of one today. Had a sit on it too, and was offered a demo ride which I will take up in a few weeks time. After reading others impressions of it I was surprised how big it was. Build quality is indeed very nice. The seat is too low for me, (6ft 33" leg) and the foot pegs felt too far forward but difficult to tell without riding it properly. I really don't know why Honda put on those size of wheels when clearly its not an off road bike of any pretence and they agree it's really a sporty tourer thingamabob. Put some VFR wheels on it fer crissakes or at least the option of a wider rear wheel like guzzi does. This would at least give some it sort of identity. Of all these type of bikes this one interests me the most, I'm not even pretending it'll go of road, I just want a fun bike that will soak up the crap roads we all seem to suffer from. Unless you live in Germany Austria or Switzerland you'll know what I'm talking about. France too come to think of it.
I asked how much the luggage for it was.......... In Portugal it would cost €1836 for the 3 bags holy f..! . But then the bike here is 14.2k and 15.2k for the DCT. with all that said, give it some different wheels and and a taller seat, it could be my perfect ride.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #1267
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingbong View Post
Had my first sighting of one today. Had a sit on it too, and was offered a demo ride which I will take up in a few weeks time. After reading others impressions of it I was surprised how big it was. Build quality is indeed very nice. The seat is too low for me, (6ft 33" leg) and the foot pegs felt too far forward but difficult to tell without riding it properly. I really don't know why Honda put on those size of wheels when clearly its not an off road bike of any pretence and they agree it's really a sporty tourer thingamabob. Put some VFR wheels on it fer crissakes or at least the option of a wider rear wheel like guzzi does. This would at least give some it sort of identity. Of all these type of bikes this one interests me the most, I'm not even pretending it'll go of road, I just want a fun bike that will soak up the crap roads we all seem to suffer from. Unless you live in Germany Austria or Switzerland you'll know what I'm talking about. France too come to think of it.
I asked how much the luggage for it was.......... In Portugal it would cost €1836 for the 3 bags holy f..! . But then the bike here is 14.2k and 15.2k for the DCT. with all that said, give it some different wheels and and a taller seat, it could be my perfect ride.
As I understand it, Honda wanted to put the VFR1200 engine in a new Pan European, but the rise of the ADV bike - and the crushing performance of the BMW K1600 - persuaded them to build the XTour.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #1268
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingbong View Post
I really don't know why Honda put on those size of wheels when clearly its not an off road bike of any pretence and they agree it's really a sporty tourer thingamabob.....

I'm not even pretending it'll go of road, I just want a fun bike that will soak up the crap roads we all seem to suffer from.

As a 19" equipped rider on both my current and previous bike, the ability of the front wheel to LESSEN the impact of mid corner potholes is a benefit IMO. I wouldn't see this as a negative. The bike will do gravel and apparently is not too shabby at that task.

I have to deal with the kinds of roads you describe and this kind of machine makes way more sense. The last trip I did I used more than half my suspension travel on the main road back from a ride, all sealed, main "highway".

In Australia and I would say a few other countries around the world, this is the kind of thing that makes sense, regardless of what the marketing department call it. If I didn't want to do off road, this is the kind of bike I would be looking at rather than the VFR variant.

And just to throw my two cents in, the bike looks really well made ON THE SURFACE. I have to assume at this point that that attention to detail on the inside if typical Honda. Maybe it's not but time will tell.

Cheers
Graham

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 04-20-2012 at 06:56 PM
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #1269
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
As a 19" equipped rider on both my current and previous bike, the ability of the front wheel to LESSEN the impact of mid corner potholes is a benefit IMO. I wouldn't see this as a negative. The bike will do gravel and apparently is not too shabby at that task.

I have to deal with the kinds of roads you describe and this kind of machine makes way more sense. The last trip I did I used more than half my suspension travel on the main road back from a ride, all sealed, main "highway".

In Australia and I would say a few other countries around the world, this is the kind of thing that makes sense, regardless of what the marketing department call it. If I didn't want to do off road, this is the kind of bike I would be looking at rather than the VRF variant.

And just to throw my two cents in, the bike looks really well made ON THE SURFACE. I have to assume at this point that that attention to detail on the inside if typical Honda. Maybe it's not but time will tell.

Cheers
Graham
I'd agree with all this for Canada as well. Some of our best, most fun to ride roads are broken and frost heaved so that they're not a lot of fun on a sport bike at all, while on a dual sport they're a blast. You honestly need that extra few inches of suspension travel that you just don't have on a sportier bike.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #1270
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by haremichaelt View Post
The Crosstour appears ok from a function perspective for me but I really don’t need a bike with the power or size of that 1200, even for cross country runs. My VFR, 800cc was more than enough to run all over the country fully loaded.
That's true, we are all just a bit carried away with the "ultimate" whatever. I would like an XT900Z, l but that did not appear in time and I would like it to be a shafty as well, but that's not a deal breaker for me though. The 1200 is just less busy and fatiguing on long trips and the weight has been handled really well.

Honda, Triumph and BMW at least have an 800cc option. Good on 'em.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 04-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #1271
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by haremichaelt View Post
The Crosstour appears ok from a function perspective for me but I really don’t need a bike with the power or size of that 1200, even for cross country runs. My VFR, 800cc was more than enough to run all over the country fully loaded.
I agree, but sadly Honda neutered their 700X to meet certain market targets that cap horsepower (so they e-limited revs to 6500rpm ), otherwise that would have been a VERY interesting product.....

That leaves the 1200CT....at least outside of North America. It won't be coming here in 2012, if ever.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #1272
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
I agree, but sadly Honda neutered their 700X to meet certain market targets that cap horsepower (so they e-limited revs to 6500rpm ), otherwise that would have been a VERY interesting product.....

That leaves the 1200CT....at least outside of North America. It won't be coming here in 2012, if ever.

-SM
Don't you get the Crossrunner? you know 800cc V4 and lots of power? All dressed up in Cross gear?

Old 04-20-2012, 07:17 PM   #1273
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Don't you get the Crossrunner? you know 800cc V4 and lots of power? All dressed up in Cross gear?
Nope. We get the incredibly stupid NC700X. Why do I say that? Because it was made for a market that DOESN'T APPLY HERE!!!!! We don't have a tiered license system, but the 700X is still limited to 6.5k revs. To add further insult, they don't plan to ship the larger, more "open spaces" oriented bike to a place where you can ride 3,000 miles in one direction and STILL BE IN THE SAME COUNTRY!!!! Idiots.....

Yeah...I'm ticked because both bikes look good to my eye, but one is fatally flawed and the other we can't get. Thanks Honda....

-SM
Old 04-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #1274
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Nope. We get the incredibly stupid NC700X. Why do I say that? Because it was made for a market that DOESN'T APPLY HERE!!!!!
-SM

Ah well, There are other brands mate. Try them all pick one that suits you best. Honda's loss. It's not something that will be thinking about on your death bed i suspect.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:55 PM   #1275
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Ah well, There are other brands mate. Try them all pick one that suits you best. Honda's loss. It's not something that will be thinking about on your death bed i suspect.
Indeed. It's just frustrating to see the Veradero, Transalp, and now CrossTourer not available here. Choice is good, and more choice is....MORE good! I think Honda got stung years ago in the US market w/ the TransAlp and they can't get over it.

Ah well. Another few days and dealers here will have their Triumph Explorer demos prep'd and ready for test rides, so I'll line up in that queue and see how the big Tigger runs.

-SM