Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #1276
sco
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hi,

I'm planing to buy a CT

For the CT owners with normal clutch, I want to know if fuel consumption is much higher than the varadero?
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:12 AM   #1277
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,310
Just spent the morning on a manual XTourer. Impressively quick - but bloody heavy. I'm no shortarse or lightweight, but this is a big, heavy bike. Lovely fueling and driveline. Very comfy. Handguards are shite but the small screen is quite effective. Dash layout is good. Suspension felt crude compared to my S10. Jumping back on my Yamaha makes me appreciate the work of magic the R&D boys at Yamaha have done in getting a big heavy bike like mine to feel so nimble.
Paulvt1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:31 AM   #1278
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
Just spent the morning on a manual XTourer. Impressively quick - but bloody heavy. I'm no shortarse or lightweight, but this is a big, heavy bike. Lovely fueling and driveline. Very comfy. Handguards are shite but the small screen is quite effective. Dash layout is good. Suspension felt crude compared to my S10. Jumping back on my Yamaha makes me appreciate the work of magic the R&D boys at Yamaha have done in getting a big heavy bike like mine to feel so nimble.
Interesting as I'm also considering an S10. In what way did the Honda's suspension feel crude in comparison? How was the power of the Xtourer compared to the S10?
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:38 AM   #1279
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,848
Quote:
Suspension felt crude compared to my S10.
Soqi suspension mate, Soqi. The Ohlins of the east.

Yes did the power feel like the hand of God pushing you ever onwards, like a Triumph?

Or did it just feel like a bloody big linear silky smooth torquey V4.?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:46 AM   #1280
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Indeed. Not sure if it was the extra mass - on smooth roads it was fine - less so on rough ridged surfaces. The power of the V4 was evident. Wringing it out saw some big numbers on the dash. However, throw in a few twisties and the sphincter clenched up. It's no KTM SMT - that's for sure.
I think it'll be a good GT with that motor. Just not for me though - which is odd as an ex-VFR12 owner.
I guess the "one bike fits all" policy just doesn't work. It's convinced me that the S10 is a long term keeper. The more i ride it - the better it gets.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:55 AM   #1281
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I think it'll be a good GT with that motor. Just not for me though - which is odd as an ex-VFR12 owner.
I guess the "one bike fits all" policy just doesn't work. It's convinced me that the S10 is a long term keeper. The more i ride it - the better it gets.
Well in Hinda's defense, I think they have been pretty straight up about the bikes configuration. They did say it wasn't an S10/GS but more of a GT that could handle a few gravel roads and the more I read the more I think it would suit the more dirt nervous out there. Or depreciation anxiety afflicted.

It definitely hasn't had much done for mud-stone-sticks tolerance (radiator and pretty paint) or fording ability either, but it looks really well built (on the outside).

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 04-24-2012, 03:05 AM   #1282
AussieKiwi
n00b

Quote:
... on smooth roads it was fine - less so on rough ridged surfaces.
This bike probably had loose head bearings as mine did and two others that I am aware of.
AussieKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:15 AM   #1283
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Possibly. Odd oversight by Honda though..
Old 04-24-2012, 05:01 AM   #1284
AussieKiwi
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco View Post
Hi,

I'm planing to buy a CT

For the CT owners with normal clutch, I want to know if fuel consumption is much higher than the varadero?
I have only done 800kms so far on my manual CT but it seems to be better on fuel than my 2006 EFI vara
Old 04-24-2012, 11:20 PM   #1285
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieKiwi View Post
I have only done 800kms so far on my manual CT but it seems to be better on fuel than my 2006 EFI vara
Explain? I only experienced figures which are below 8 liters (1:13) towards 5,5 / 6 (1:17) for my '04 EFI Varadero.
That isn't only poor, but that's VERY poor.

6-9 June 2014: 16th Varadero & 3rd Crosstourer International Meeting, GEIRANGER, NORWAY!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:49 AM   #1286
AussieKiwi
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
Explain? I only experienced figures which are below 8 liters (1:13) towards 5,5 / 6 (1:17) for my '04 EFI Varadero.
Varadero ~ 5.5 l/100 km
CT ~ 5.1 l/100 km

These are my figures. Early days on the CT. But my feeling is its more efficient, especially in light of the fact that it has way more power and 200cc more.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:42 AM   #1287
Mister B 1200
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
It may help if you have a quick look on the Crosstourer Forum / General discussion / Fuel consumption ..at www.crosstourer.com

From new to first service upto 45 mpg (English) is being seen .After that the figures are improving with the most active reporters approaching 4500 kms ,nearly 3000miles.. General tankfull ranges of 320/350 kms with still a bit left in ,so 320km/200mls apears a good figure to fill up at..., With reasonable /sporty driving on mixed roads......i.e around 5.6l/100km or 50 mpg.. The miles per gallon (English) appears to be 45ish for quick long distance on motorways to around 55 mpg for easy riding.. Check the site for fuller details and remember no two riders or their right hands are ever the same... Mine (white/DCT ) arrived in its crate yesterday evening and should be being picked up middle of next week so it will be some time befor I can compare my results.... Just go and enjoy it!!!
Mister B 1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:24 AM   #1288
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Just read some stuff by a guy who lives near me. Looks like about 1L/100Km more than the S10 in the same conditions which is not too shabby

Old 04-25-2012, 05:06 AM   #1289
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

According to the dash readout my test consumption went from highs of 15 miles per lt to lows of 2.9 miles per lt...so thats about 65 mpg IMP, down to 15mpg IMP. Not bad for such a beast.
Well - it wasn't my bike was it...
Old 04-25-2012, 06:07 AM   #1290
Mister B 1200
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
According to the dash readout my test consumption went from highs of 15 miles per lt to lows of 2.9 miles per lt...so thats about 65 mpg IMP, down to 15mpg IMP. Not bad for such a beast.
Well - it wasn't my bike was it...
Mister B 1200 is offline   Reply With Quote