Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #1441
STROM-CRF450X-990SMT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Exactly, it adds a whole lot to the riding experience. So much so that I find myself missing it when on long runs on other bikes. The Triumph and Honda would definitely benefit from it, both of whose suspension is quite taut to cope with their heft, thus at all times there is a lack of small bump compliance that can get tiring on long hauls (Triumph more than Honda). I would say first generation ESA on the BMW was so-so, but the latest generation stuff is magic and on an adventure bike brings so much more to the table in regards to easy on the go tuning as the riding scenario changes.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #1442
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,498
I don't know. Some of my most enjoyable rides / trips have been on my Scrambler and DR650, both old school low tech bikes. I'm no Luddite waxing for the old days, I did ride my R1200RT for 34,000+ kms and while it didn't have ESA it had an electric windshield and power or heated everything else. Since the RT I've just been enjoying simpler bikes. I ride solo as my wife rides her own bike so once I get a bike setup I never touch the suspension again. Only time I could see the adjustable suspension being a big plus would be if you were constantly switching between solo riding and two up.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #1443
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,243
Choice mate choice, all good, simple thumpers right up to gadget ridden elctro pop.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #1444
STROM-CRF450X-990SMT
Gnarly Adventurer

Yep been the simple route myself, owned three DR650s, did 54,000km in 15 months on my first one. Wouldn't go there again I like the comfort and power these days :-) I have an enduro bike for enduro riding. For big distance on all surfaces yu can't go past the big full featured stuff. Perth to Phillip Island in three days on DR650 etc. way back when, be whole lot more enjoyable, comfortable and just downright a much better experience on something a bit bigger and more modern.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:21 AM   #1445
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,534
Strom - You had chance to try the DCT? Still waiting to have a go on one over here. Tried the VFR set up a year back and it seemed more suited to a touring rig.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #1446
STROM-CRF450X-990SMT
Gnarly Adventurer

We haven't got the DCT version here yet, but I believe it is not far away.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #1447
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Another testrating

Another - very good and proffesional - comparing test, this time in the Dutch Automobile Club's motorcycle magazine 'PROMOTOR'.

Comparing GS1200, S10, Triumph Adventurer, Crosstourer, Multistrada Šnd the big Kawa Versys.

1st drop-out: Multistrada.
2nd drop-out: Kawa.
3rd drop-out: S10
4th drop-out: Triumph
5th drop-out: CT
Winner: GS1200.

Despite the Tourenfahrer pro Beemer report, the Crosstourer came out here 2nd best. Good overal score.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:43 AM   #1448
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
Another - very good and proffesional - comparing test, this time in the Dutch Automobile Club's motorcycle magazine 'PROMOTOR'.

Comparing GS1200, S10, Triumph Adventurer, Crosstourer, Multistrada Šnd the big Kawa Versys.

1st drop-out: Multistrada.
2nd drop-out: Kawa.
3rd drop-out: S10
4th drop-out: Triumph
5th drop-out: CT
Winner: GS1200.

Despite the Tourenfahrer pro Beemer report, the Crosstourer came out here 2nd best. Good overal score.
And what did they put the bikes through on the test?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:52 AM   #1449
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Car wash?

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:49 AM   #1450
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,534
I really should test ride the BM Twin cam. If it can still deliver the goods in it's final year then it must be a good machine.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:56 AM   #1451
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Here's a pic from the offroad portion.

2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:36 AM   #1452
sambora67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Car wash?
sambora67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:53 AM   #1453
RoadRdr
Mostly Pavement

Oddometer: 181
I've been following this thread closely hoping for some indication that Honda would give some sign that they will import the CT to the USA. I was working the Americade Rally in Lake George, NY all of last week and we were set up next to the Honda truck. I saw some Honda guys and asked them if they were corporate Honda. They said yes and so I asked about the CT1200 coming to the US. The response was kind of deer on the headlights look and asked me if I saw the new 700 adventure bike.

I understand they cannot say anything affirmative even if they knew until Honda NA makes an official press release. But I'm reading that as a sign there are no immediate plans to bring it here.

I would have liked to stay with Honda. We currently have 5 Honda cars in the family and had 6 prior to the ones we have now. My 2002 ST1100 V4 has been silky smooth and bulletproof but it looks like I have a buyer for it. I like the riding position of my Suzuki DL1000 VStrom so the Honda CT seemed like the best of both worlds.

I've been shopping for my next primary motorcycle for a couple years looking at everything and doing some research. After much consideration and lack of action from Honda I'm back to focusing on the BMW R1200GS.

The Tenere and Explorer are somewhere on the list also. I'll still watch this thread but I'll post back when I make final decision. (I have to say the final drive posts on the Boxer forums scares me a bit.)
RoadRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:18 AM   #1454
arrcrussell
Gimme Dirt

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRdr View Post
... a sign there are no immediate plans to bring it here. ...
I have no idea what Honda NA is smoking but they sure have no idea of the market - but for that matter I'm no expert - but it seems to me there's more of a market for the XT than the VFR here in the States yet they brought the VFR and not the XT - makes absolutely no sense to me! Missing the boat once again. Sure miss old man Honda!
arrcrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #1455
bahill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRdr View Post
I've been following this thread closely hoping for some indication that Honda would give some sign that they will import the CT to the USA. I was working the Americade Rally in Lake George, NY all of last week and we were set up next to the Honda truck. I saw some Honda guys and asked them if they were corporate Honda. They said yes and so I asked about the CT1200 coming to the US. The response was kind of deer on the headlights look and asked me if I saw the new 700 adventure bike.

I understand they cannot say anything affirmative even if they knew until Honda NA makes an official press release. But I'm reading that as a sign there are no immediate plans to bring it here.

I would have liked to stay with Honda. We currently have 5 Honda cars in the family and had 6 prior to the ones we have now. My 2002 ST1100 V4 has been silky smooth and bulletproof but it looks like I have a buyer for it. I like the riding position of my Suzuki DL1000 VStrom so the Honda CT seemed like the best of both worlds.

I've been shopping for my next primary motorcycle for a couple years looking at everything and doing some research. After much consideration and lack of action from Honda I'm back to focusing on the BMW R1200GS.

The Tenere and Explorer are somewhere on the list also. I'll still watch this thread but I'll post back when I make final decision. (I have to say the final drive posts on the Boxer forums scares me a bit.)

Yes me too RoadRdr, Iím disappointed in Honda. I would love to get a sit on the CrossTourer and I have always been a big Honda fan. At 6í-5 I have limited choices of the bikes that fit me (or that I fit on) that donít make me look like Iím in a Shriner parade and I rode a 2006 VStrom DL1000 until last month. Although I really had no real reason to trade other than just wanting a change, and maybe ABS and shaft drive, I traded for the S10 last month and couldnít be happier.

The only thing that might make me trade this bike is if Honda actually brings the CT to the US but until then Iím a happy camper (rider!).
bahill is offline   Reply With Quote