Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
twostroke312 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Just got an 04 625 SMC - jetting, pipes, and a funny pic.

I used to have an 06, missed her too damn much and couldn't pass up a deal on this 04. I was hesitant because of the different tail at first, but its grown on me and I think I actually prefer it over the 05-06s now. Don't mind the neighborhood cat:

When I got the bike at first it wouldn't idle and barely start after sitting on/off for a few years. Took the FCR apart and cleaned her up:

It did have the factory 165/42 jets, doesn't look like anything was modified. After putting the carb back in, world of a difference. Bike was idling properly, no more high revving after letting off, pipes weren't glowing red anymore, etc. I ordered the idle mixture screw from JD and got that set properly as well. The only mod done is an opened up air box with a no toil air filter.

Now for my questions: I know these bikes are notorious for being lean from factory - I am currently in FL where it's sea level and gets super humid 75-90F most of the time. The bike has the factory competition SXC pipe on it - feels good in its current form, but I feel like it could be better.

Is the factory SXC pipe really considered competitive? Will a Leo Vince X3/ FMF Q4 be louder? Flow better? I'm sure they will be lighter.

Would I notice an improvement from rejetting if I leave the SXC pipe on? I'm satisfied with the bikes low rpm, so I want to leave the 42 jet, but I feel the rpm up top is a tad hollow... Is a 168/170 warranted here? Could I do this without changing the needle? How about if i change the pipe out?

Oh, right, the funny picture.... Don't know how the PO pulled this one off:

twostroke312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:44 AM   #2
gnuttis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
I hade 168/48 on my 625smc -04 and the mixture screw about 2 - 2 1/2. I had also the Rally cam and 2-1-2 system on it! :)

Page 4
http://www.sporthoj.com/forum/showth...-Ktm-625/page4

&

Page 5
http://www.sporthoj.com/forum/showth...-Ktm-625/page5

About the picture if I remember right you got a triangle connection behind it, disable the connection and you are able to go in advance mode. Sorry don,t remember how to go in to the advance mode tried to search for it, think in was to stand in the hour mode and hold the two buttons on the tripmaster, look in the manual.

gnuttis screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 12:56 AM
gnuttis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
twostroke312 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuttis View Post
I hade 168/48 on my 625smc -04 and the mixture screw about 2 - 2 1/2. I had also the Rally cam and 2-1-2 system on it! :)

Page 4
http://www.sporthoj.com/forum/showth...-Ktm-625/page4

&

Page 5
http://www.sporthoj.com/forum/showth...-Ktm-625/page5

About the picture if I remember right you got a triangle connection behind it, disable the connection and you are able to go in advance mode. Sorry don,t remember how to go in to the advance mode tried to search for it, think in was to stand in the hour mode and hold the two buttons on the tripmaster, look in the manual.
Hey thanks for the info! Surprised your screw was so far out... I used JD's setting of turning it in until the rpms dropped, then turning it out from that point 1.25 turns. My rpms dropped with the screw almost bottomed out, so my screw is only 1.25-1.5 turns out. But yes, very different mods in very different locations will result in different settings. This is almost an art.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:44 AM   #4
gnuttis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Did you figured out a good settings?
gnuttis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM   #5
twostroke312 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Better late than never...

I went with a Leo Vince pipe and just changed the main to 170. Bike made good power, but was a nightmare to start. So fast forward to now....

Got the JDjetting kit... Red needle, 5th position from top. 45 pilot, 180 main. Yes.Yes.Yes. Starts RIGHT up. Makes GREAT low end power. Thinking about maybe trying 175, I've heard 180 is rich. I am at sea level, however the air is very humid here... Not sure how that effects jetting but it definitely makes the air less dense, from my understanding.
Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM   #6
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,338
jets from 'jetsrus.com' are cheap.... change the main, find someplace where you can hit it WFO, and see what it feels like.... after you do it a couple of times, pick the one that pulls the best at WFO, then mess w/the needle clips for midrange throttle.... once all that is right, try a couple of different pilots, whatever works best right as you crack the throttle....

once you try a few, it's pretty easy to see what works best.... butt dyno is whatever pulls best WFO, then mess w/the needle, then the pilot....

that 45 sounds pretty rich to me.... if the pilot's too rich, it won't start hot for shizzit....

fat motors run cooler, and it's much better for the motor if it's not detonating....

i've been running a 180 in a 450 RFS motor w/a 41mm here in Fla... i just backed it off to a 175, and it's better right now as hot and humid as it is, but the 180 pops pretty good in January....

and you could try a OCEMP,(N),(R) Keihin needle too.... I'd probably get a new needle jet tube too, seeing how gunked up that carb was... they're cheap....

those are ridiculously fast bikes.... badazzed!....

davesupreme screwed with this post Yesterday at 03:55 PM
davesupreme is online now   Reply With Quote