User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2015, 05:43 AM   #1
alongat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,116
Tire choice suggestions please - ktm 530

I know this kind of request opens up cans of worms and boils oceans but I'm hoping to get some sound advice on preferred tires choices and the reasoning for those choices. First, some info to help:
It's a 2010 KTM 530 "adventurized" for multi-day, multi-terrain riding. The bike is running stock wheels for dirt (I have a set of Cush drive ktm supermoto wheels as well) and currently running tubes (I've been researching Tubliss as well but I'm not sold on the idea yet). I'm looking to ride typical Ontario terrain - anything from gravel and dirt unmaintained roads to forest trails with rocky sections, open offroad trails (like ATV trails that are snowmobile trails in winter). Typical of Ontario, I expect everything from rocks and gravel to clay and mud, hard packed dirt to sand, etc, etc - so basically all sorts of terrain and riding. I'm not small or light (6'3" and 220 pounds plus gear and lightweight camping gear for multi-day rides). The bike currently has the Metzler six days tires and I think they're ok at best but certainly not great at all. I do have a friend who highly recommends the Motoz tractionator s/t (which he uses with UHD tubes) and he loves them for our type of riding but given that I typically need to ride at least 45 - 60 minutes of highway before getting offroad from where I am, he doesn't believe the tires will hold up well to my highway riding. He has suggested the Motoz desert compound but I want to see what other tires work for people in similar situations and riding - I've read good things about the Pirelli XCMH and MT21 but no personal experience with either of them.

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide. I'm off to the local big bike show tomorrow and hoping to score some deals on a few sets.
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:55 AM   #2
sweetlou
small body, big balls

Oddometer: 1,316
Kenda track master 2 are a great DOT knobbie for the smaller big bikes. You can get a couple thousand miles (real miles, not that kilometer crap) and they hook up well in all conditions. Plus they are cheap.

Lou
sweetlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:58 AM   #3
alongat OP
Beastly Adventurer

They do seem cheap...I don't seem to find my sizes though - 90/90 up front and a 140/80 out back.

By the way, don't be afraid of the metric system, just about every other human being on the planet is already on board :) All we need now is metric time too..
Old 01-02-2015, 08:16 AM   #4
shrederscott
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Hi

I ride an 08 530exc mostly in colorado and utah, I live in denver. I also do camping muti day trips. My "standard" day trip is 40 miles of freeway and 2 lane canyon craving roads to the dirt...60-100miles of jeep and dirt roads then 40 miles of slab home.

I have tried many different rear and front tire combos.

My current fav is the motoz desert DOT tire......very aggressive knobbies. ....works very well off road, and still canyon craves nicely as well.....only drawback.....a little loud on the road.....i get abou 1,600-1,800 miles out of a rear....the 130 size is very large....rides great but tends to rub pipe, 110 size gives up a little dirt traction....but no rub....currently running 110 size.

The other tire I like is shinko 244 in the 5.10 size......get about 800-1000 miles out of that tire. very quiet on the road, excellent road manners and good in dirt for most of its life. ...Not nearly as much dirt traction as the motoz.....

I am 5-10 and 200lbs, I ride with tubliss. ...love the system. ...highly recommend the system. .....i carry a small electric air pump....run 10-12 psi off road light bike.....14-17psi loaded bike and 30 psi road......electric pump lets me quickly and easily air up when the dirt ends.

Bottom line......I suggest u try a motoz desert AND the tubliss system.....the Tubliss system works best for me if you add a small bottle of Stan's tire sealent to low pressure chamber .

hope that helps

scott
shrederscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:30 AM   #5
alongat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Scott, I don't mind the tire noise - between the engine noises, exhaust tone and the wind, I may not even hear it. I currently have a set of Metzler Karoo 3s on my big bike - now that's a noisy tire. I'm constantly looking behind thinking there's a train or massive tractor trailer bearing down on me only to find out it's just my bloody tires howling :)

Tubliss, eh? I've been reading as much as possible online for reviews - for every amazing YouTube video or online review, there's an equal amount of poor reviews and I've got to wonder how much of the poor experience comes down to user error. I see that the installation instructions are very important to follow to the letter - I'm sure I can follow them but am wondering how many people haven't and that's resulted in their poor experience.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:32 AM   #6
alongat OP
Beastly Adventurer

By the way, how is balancing the wheels once everything is installed (I mean the tubliss), does it work out ok? Hoping you would know given how much of the slab riding you do on the bike...

Thanks again
Old 01-02-2015, 08:51 AM   #7
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,866
Hi Alon,

I ride the same terrain, just 4 hours east of you and we haven't found a tire better than the 606. I've personally tried. Pile of them including the Pirelli trial tire and always go back to the 606 front and back. I tried the mt21 on the front with a 606 rear and that was ok, it's a popular setup, but the 606 just lasts. If it was my money, I'd buy the 606. Check my bike, that's what's on it.

I ride a wr250r, but my crew had all kinds of bikes from the g450 to every type of KTM and we pretty much defer to the 606.

Oh, and it is great on the highway. We find ourselves pushing the tires pretty hard on pavement and they are very predictable.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:26 AM   #8
shrederscott
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
By the way, how is balancing the wheels once everything is installed (I mean the tubliss), does it work out ok? Hoping you would know given how much of the slab riding you do on the bike...

Thanks again
Ok more data for u.

I have run the tubliss system for 3 seasons, still like and recommend it WHEN Stan's tire sealent is used in low pressure chamber.......first install is the worst.....first removal is even worse......very easy to damage the system in tire removal.

I have had no balance isssues......yes I balance....yes it takes a lot of weight to balance.....but it will balance just fine

I think the key is proper install....AND Stans tire sealent.......without my tire will slow leak.....I am unsure if the leak is from using a "tubed" tire that allows air to leak through it......or from a bad tubliss seal.......regardless one small bottle of stans.....and no more pressure loss.

I have had punction wounds that have caused low pressure chamber to deflate.......tubliss works you can ride on a flat low pressure chamber both on the dirt or road.....but why?......simply put a plug in, add a second small bottle of stans, air and enjoy !!.....much easier than changing a flat....faster repair....no need for spare tube =less weight and volume of repair supplies to be carried.

On a side note I have run the 606 tires front and back

606 rear works good on and off road.....BUT....road time kills tire...I only get 600-800 miles on a rear

606 front works ok on and off road.....BUT.....front will cup from road miles....I find the Pirelli works better .....does not cup

Hope that helps

shrederscott screwed with this post 01-02-2015 at 09:46 AM
shrederscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:05 PM   #9
alongat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Very helpful - thank you everyone. Off to go tire shopping...