User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2014, 05:00 AM   #1
warrick OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
KTM 640 sm stator and flywheel damage

Guys im new to the forum and am keen for plenty of input and advice for my current problem.

the cause i think is from the gear directly off the starter motor loosing a few teeth which i believe made its way down in to where the stator was waiting to chew on some metal...
so i have two questions.
does anyone have these parts for me to fix this?

Also am curious if anyone has looked at fitting the ignition cases from a 660smc which does not have a starter motor. i not sure what is involved i think the stator is different and the flywheel.

any advice is welcome.

Cheers
Warrick

warrick screwed with this post 10-15-2014 at 05:56 PM
warrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:13 PM   #2
warrick OP
n00b

Anyone with advice?
Old 10-15-2014, 11:51 PM   #3
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,038
I have seen this happen a couple of times... Often it damages the stator or the pickup coil, sometimes both... Your flywheel looks like it sustained quite a tear, usually a little bi of scarring on it is ok, but your looks excessive..

Best thing is to watch ebay and the fleamarket for parts coming up... There is a 640 in the fleamarket now that may get parted out... Last night there was a stator on ebay for pretty cheap. but today it is gone...

Then you have the starter gear with the missing teeth to replace also... Sometimes the autodecomp quits working on these engines putting more stress on the starter and starter gears... It is possible that this may of happened in your case, when was the last time you heard the decomp clak as you rolled the engine over?
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:07 AM   #4
warrick OP
n00b

decomp clak? I'm not sure i have. this is the first thumper i have owned so it makes a lot of unfamiliar noises.

any idea about the compatibility of the 660smc case and internals(stator and flywheel)?
Old 10-16-2014, 12:14 AM   #5
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrick View Post
decomp clak? I'm not sure i have. this is the first thumper i have owned so it makes a lot of unfamiliar noises.

any idea about the compatibility of the 660smc case and internals(stator and flywheel)?
The 660 stator and flywheel carry a different part #... The 660 also has tunable ignition timing by rotating the stator cover, the 640 does not have this feature..

You can listen for the decomp klick by slowly turning the motor over with the kickstarter...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:28 AM   #6
warrick OP
n00b

cheers. i have managed to find a wrecker.

see how she goes... no just the wait for parts...

thing weekend is looking great too