User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2015, 02:46 PM   #1
kfsinc OP
Chaingolian Observer

Oddometer: 2,566
DVD Player Replacement - BluRay?

My Panasonic DVD player is about 10 years old. It was a cheepy (free with the TV) so nothing fancy. It's also getting a little finicky on reading disks, probably dirty.

I'm thinking about replacing it with a BluRay. Can't say I really know or care about the benefits of BluRay over DVD, but might as well upgrade while I have everything unplugged. I have no interest in gaming so PlayStation etc is out. I do have AppleTV so streaming isn't necessary, but might be nice so I can use the AppleTV elsewhere.

Prices seem to range from $100 on up --

What do YOU think?

What's a good basic player to consider?

TIA
“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”, Mario Andretti

Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:13 PM   #2
Oldenuftaknowbetter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfsinc View Post
My Panasonic DVD player is about 10 years old. It was a cheepy (free with the TV) so nothing fancy. It's also getting a little finicky on reading disks, probably dirty.

I'm thinking about replacing it with a BluRay. Can't say I really know or care about the benefits of BluRay over DVD, but might as well upgrade while I have everything unplugged. I have no interest in gaming so PlayStation etc is out. I do have AppleTV so streaming isn't necessary, but might be nice so I can use the AppleTV elsewhere.

Prices seem to range from $100 on up --

What do YOU think?

What's a good basic player to consider?

TIA
You probably already know this but BD players have only HDMI out, so you need to have an unused HDMI input on your TV or AV receiver.

Most all BD players will do the most common streaming video services, but not all have WiFi built in--read the specs on the box to make sure you're getting built in WiFi if you don't want to have to run an Ethernet cable to your router. BD players do occasionally need firmware updates (easily done online) to keep up with copy protection and update streaming video services so you do want it connected to the Internet.

The only players on the market now without any streaming video capability are junky off-brand crap.

I've had a few of them since 06. Had the best luck with Panasonic and Sony, worst with Samsung. Just get the least expensive Panny or Sony with built-in WiFi for a good basic player. Expect to pay $80-90 US. It will play your existing DVDs and they will look better than ever.

BTW, Blu Ray discs can playback at up to 40 Mbps (typical sat or cable HD is lucky to exceed 12mbps) so they will give you the best HD picture there is.
Oldenuftaknowbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:42 PM   #3
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Oddometer: 1,365
Here's my $0.02 worth of experience.

Back in the day I was shopping for my first upconverting DVD player and did a lot of research. I ended up getting a well reviewed but relatively unknown player from a company called Oppo, a DV-971 model. http://www.vxm.com/Oppo.htm
A video benchmark test scored it second only to a $1600 Denon unit, and I paid about $169 for it at the time. Turned out to be a great player and it's still in use.

Fast forward to now. I picked up a cheap Sony BDPS1200 BluRay player (http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/produ...910b49215cen02) on the last Boxing Day sale for $50 shipped. Does BluRay fine, upconverts better than the Oppo, and sounds WAY better than the Oppo on the home theater system.

I think you would be pleased with that Sony model.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:56 AM   #4
Shuffler
Hommes Grande

Oddometer: 1,687
Picked up a $50 Samsung on Amazon, for occasional use in the toyhauler. So far so good. There's a ton of options out there <$100
Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:21 AM   #5
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 928
FWIW so far as the Apple TV goes if you have version 2 they are in demand as they can be jailbroken to run XBMC, etc., bought mine 5 years ago for $100 and just sold it on Ebay for $140 ...had no interest in hacking it, also it only outputs 720P and I upgraded to a 1080P TV awhile back so I use a Chromecast or Roku for streaming, they will do 1080P.
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:09 PM   #6
Roland44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Picked up a $50 Samsung on Amazon, for occasional use in the toyhauler. So far so good. There's a ton of options out there <$100
Same here. I got mine about a year ago for about $70. It does the job well, no complains at all.
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:57 PM   #7
duckman
co conspirator

Oddometer: 922
I think I bought the same unit from walmart at least 2 years ago and it works fine. the first one I got was almost 400 and it started failing at aprox. 1 year old. granted I'm single so my living quarters are less than ship shape.
and no do rags
"who's a retard now"
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:02 AM   #8
kfsinc OP
Chaingolian Observer

Oddometer: 2,566
Thanks guys! BB was pushing the Sony and my Panny DVD is the one that's crapping out -- think I'll try the Sony WIFI one.

kfs
“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”, Mario Andretti

Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: