User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 126 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010, 08:49 PM   #4156
Dfender110
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Retreating blade stall is the biggest killer of for top speed in a helicopter. At a given speed the retreating blade will stall and cause a roll to the retreating side. Aircraft with counter rotating blades are not as limited by the phenomenon.

By putting the load on the stub wings and the tail Prop (Fan) providing forward flight stability the rotor system can then unload and retreating blade stall is no longer the limit to top speed.

Thats the basic idea anyway.

Tim Knueven
FAA A&P IA CFII Rotorcraft (H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
I dunno what it's called, but I thought the whole idea was to get it up to speed, then transfer the power from the main rotor entirely to the rear fan to provide the forward thrust and use the lift from the already spinning main rotor to keep it in the air.

I dunno that it'd make it really any faster, but I'm betting it'd be a hell of a lot more efficient while in cruise.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #4157
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpknueven
Retreating blade stall is the biggest killer of for top speed in a helicopter. At a given speed the retreating blade will stall and cause a roll to the retreating side. Aircraft with counter rotating blades are not as limited by the phenomenon.

By putting the load on the stub wings and the tail Prop (Fan) providing forward flight stability the rotor system can then unload and retreating blade stall is no longer the limit to top speed.

Thats the basic idea anyway.

Tim Knueven
FAA A&P IA CFII Rotorcraft (H)
I understand that.

Would it be safe to say that two helicopters with similar HP ratings, same blade diameter, same blade number, but spinning at two different speeds. Would the one with the higher rotor speed have a higher top speed before running into RBS?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #4158
Dfender110
Gnarly Adventurer

In a simple sense yes. Its a non-linear formula but in a basic sense it would and the limiting factor for rotor speed.....Blade tip speed if it goes supersonic a whole nother set of factors play in

Quote:
I understand that.

Would it be safe to say that two helicopters with similar HP ratings, same blade diameter, same blade number, but spinning at two different speeds. Would the one with the higher rotor speed have a higher top speed before running into RBS?
Old 04-15-2010, 05:13 AM   #4159
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
In a simple sense yes. Its a non-linear formula but in a basic sense it would and the limiting factor for rotor speed.....Blade tip speed if it goes supersonic a whole nother set of factors play in
That's why some blades have the little swept back angle on the tip right, or is that something else?

Old 04-15-2010, 07:02 AM   #4160
Dfender110
Gnarly Adventurer

Yep, Swept tips are the early easy fix, along with Ridgid rotor systems and unloading the rotor system.

One question the Speed Hwak design leaves me with is... What happens when you are flying along using the stubs and pusher and have an engine failure?

Would the rotorsystem reload soon enough to allow a smooth entry into autorotation? I guess in that sense its an Auto Gyro so its a non event. I will have to do some more reading. Piasecki didn't want to answer many
questions at the Heli-expo.
Quote:
That's why some blades have the little swept back angle on the tip right, or is that something else?
Old 04-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #4161
Hedge36
Chasing parts.

Oddometer: 44,177
Quote:
One question the Speed Hwak design leaves me with is... What happens when you are flying along using the stubs and pusher and have an engine failure?
Yeah, I've been really curious about the initial pitch reaction myself.
Hedge36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:51 AM   #4162
Dfender110
Gnarly Adventurer

Watching the video at the expo it looked like the airframe attitude was pretty level 100-110kt attitude in fast forward flight with the wings loaded.

The rotor system looked really slow and coned up but that may have been just the shutter speed of the camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedge36
Yeah, I've been really curious about the initial pitch reaction myself.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:54 AM   #4163
Hedge36
Chasing parts.

Oddometer: 44,177
Quote:
Watching the video at the expo it looked like the airframe attitude was pretty level 100-110kt attitude in fast forward flight with the wings loaded.

The rotor system looked really slow and coned up but that may have been just the shutter speed of the camera.
Typical gyro, really. Just a damn expensive one
Hedge36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:58 AM   #4164
Dfender110
Gnarly Adventurer

Yep, I always thought the Carter-Copter was a cool one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedge36
Typical gyro, really. Just a damn expensive one
Old 04-15-2010, 08:42 AM   #4165
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
This guy was out along Military Highway here along the Tex/Mex border last weekend. He was hovering around in the marshes, and then later in the day I saw him buzzing along in the center of the Rio Grande at tree top height.

Supposedly the Border Patrol operates a similar model around here that's painted in blue and with a fenestron tail rotor, but what is unusual about this particular 'copter is that it appears to be from the Army Guard.

I didn't see any markings but they would be tiny under any circumstance. The Border Patrol claims that they don't operate any unmarked helicopters or "black helicopters."

As an aside, one of the nearby Sheriff's has been up in arms because a Mexican Marine Mi-8 has been overflying a neighborhood on the US side several times during the last month.

PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:12 AM   #4166
a65l
Wise guy, eh?

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
It was my understanding that the swept tips quieted the rotor system.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:06 AM   #4167
Dfender110
Gnarly Adventurer

It quiets the rotors by breaking up the tip vorticies and also allows them to spin faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a65l
Old 04-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #4168
Dfender110
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
This guy was out along Military Highway here along the Tex/Mex border last weekend. He was hovering around in the marshes, and then later in the day I saw him buzzing along in the center of the Rio Grande at tree top height.

Supposedly the Border Patrol operates a similar model around here that's painted in blue and with a fenestron tail rotor, but what is unusual about this particular 'copter is that it appears to be from the Army Guard.

I didn't see any markings but they would be tiny under any circumstance. The Border Patrol claims that they don't operate any unmarked helicopters or "black helicopters."

As an aside, one of the nearby Sheriff's has been up in arms because a Mexican Marine Mi-8 has been overflying a neighborhood on the US side several times during the last month.

UH72A LAKOTA known in Civilian paint as the EC145. Its a Eurocopter product.
It won the Army Light Utility Helicopter contract. It is used by the National Guard for Law enforcement, Drug interdiction and Medical Evac. It is replacing the UH60 Blackhawks in the National Guard so they can be reassigned to the regular Army to replace the ones getting beat up in the GWT.

Its an off the shelf FAA approved airframe so that at the end of the contract the Army will be able to sell them on the civilian market without the hassle of the Restricted catagory and hopefully recoup more money.

The markings are there. Flat black on Dark OD green makes them almost impossible to see.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:34 AM   #4169
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by a65l
Things get loud when you go supersonic.

I've heard some RC plane props go supersonic and it's a nasty loud sound, plus it did a number on the blades.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:35 AM   #4170
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
It quiets the rotors by breaking up the tip vorticies and also allows them to spin faster.
That too.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: