http://video.search....
That was great!

Much better!
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:23 PM   #4639
Scubatoe
Trained monkey

Oddometer: 189
Since I only had the patience to read the first couple pages of this thread, I'll just go ahead and assume that it's maintained its original intent for 200+ pages. Also gives me a convenient opportunity to introduce myself, as I can't seem to find a dedicated place for that (if there is, pls point me that way).

17 yrs of street riding, 3 club racing with WERA/CCS which ended with some retained internal hardware and a move to a HD Road King. Shelled-out for my dream vacation last month doing an Edelweiss High Alpine Tour of the Alps and was floored by the performance of the F800GS. Bought a 2006 R1200GSA last week on Ebay which will be waiting for me in Denver when I return from the Middle East in 3.5 weeks. I'll then be riding from Denver (Highlands Ranch) to San Diego during the 2nd week of Nov, wobbling like a baby giraffe along the way, trying to develop some dirt legs in Moab, Bryce Canyon, etc...before ultimately ending up in Fallon, NV early 2011.

Anyway, here's one of my few pics showing me doing something marginally cool in a helo. This is the OP for the artillery range at Cape Wrath, close to as far north as you can get in Scotland. On the other side of the fence is a 400 ft cliff, and the hilltop drops off nice and abruptly on the left side as well. This pic was followed shortly by a flight to visually clear the range under the cloud layer in the background....good times.

Cheers,
Scuba
Scubatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #4640
Weirdo OP
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubatoe
Since I only had the patience to read the first couple pages of this thread, I'll just go ahead and assume that it's maintained its original intent for 200+ pages. Also gives me a convenient opportunity to introduce myself, as I can't seem to find a dedicated place for that (if there is, pls point me that way).

17 yrs of street riding, 3 club racing with WERA/CCS which ended with some retained internal hardware and a move to a HD Road King. Shelled-out for my dream vacation last month doing an Edelweiss High Alpine Tour of the Alps and was floored by the performance of the F800GS. Bought a 2006 R1200GSA last week on Ebay which will be waiting for me in Denver when I return from the Middle East in 3.5 weeks. I'll then be riding from Denver (Highlands Ranch) to San Diego during the 2nd week of Nov, wobbling like a baby giraffe along the way, trying to develop some dirt legs in Moab, Bryce Canyon, etc...before ultimately ending up in Fallon, NV early 2011.

Anyway, here's one of my few pics showing me doing something marginally cool in a helo. This is the OP for the artillery range at Cape Wrath, close to as far north as you can get in Scotland. On the other side of the fence is a 400 ft cliff, and the hilltop drops off nice and abruptly on the left side as well. This pic was followed shortly by a flight to visually clear the range under the cloud layer in the background....good times.

Cheers,
Scuba

Sweet picture, keep em coming and welcome!
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #4641
Scubatoe
Trained monkey

Oddometer: 189
OK, here you go.

Don't quite remember where we were for this one, but coming back to the boat somewhere off the East Coast in '03.

Took this while flying as a pax around Afghaniland back in '07.

Aussies approaching the Iraqi oil platform I got to call home for 7 mos in '08.

Scubatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #4642
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,507
I am in aviation, but the Tech Services / Tech Records part, do you pilot types get the stomach churning moments that I do......

not as many as I used - must be getting better at the job!

nothing to say really, just sharing the fear and fun of aviation

Cheers

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:08 PM   #4643
cosybike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
You lot should enjoy this series

Retro Heli Rescue Doc from Scotland made by STV. A whole series! They don't make them like this anymore. Includes the Piper alpha incident and some lucky escapes...for the rescuers.
Hopefully there are no daft youtube copyright viewing restrictions in your country.
It does make their 'merican equvalents seem like they make a meal of everything! (Just kidding,Possibly more due to modern, short attention span documentary making)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnCRjcczYxI

cosybike screwed with this post 10-16-2010 at 02:27 AM
cosybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:13 PM   #4644
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 924
Very cool - thanks for posting. Yet another reason to spend too much time at the computer - probably ought to stream it to the TV

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:14 PM   #4645
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 9,947
This morning....

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:42 PM   #4646
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,840
The rest of the day didnt go like this did it?

I hate being in love with inanimate objects lol

You should see the 599 and Maserati where I work...

IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:31 AM   #4647
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedge36
The Lynx drivers say it's much easier to do from a full stop, if not just a little alarming the first time you do it.
try doing that in afghanistan, they cant even take off half the time. even though it flies like a sports car, it was designed to fight russkies across damp wet germany.

lynx mk7, its got skids because its a modded mk1, that had skids because although the army wanted a helicopter with wheels it was thought too expensive and they were used to helicopters with skids, so they wouldnt mind too much. the navy mk3 had wheels on sponsons, like the mk8 in the previous pics, but the army had to wait till the mk9 for wheels and then its a very ugly tripod affair that ruins the look of a pretty aircraft. still has the airspeed record, i believe, set in 1986 as an offshoot of the BERP blade program.
davsato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:37 PM   #4648
Bell47Pilot
MonkeyButt

Oddometer: 1,759
One of the shiniest Hueys I ever flew!

Me giving a safety briefing to some brass before my "Historical Overflight" of West Berlin. Best freekin flyin job I've ever had. Home every single night for four years! Flew over 450 hours/year in peacetime! Got to go burn holes in the sky just to use up our flight hours. Twenty five years and a couple of lifetimes ago......glory days!
Ride On
Preston Drew Haun June 17, 1981- August 15, 2010 #1
To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the
boundary of disaster. (Sterling Moss)
Bell47Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #4649
aclark79
Rotor Driver

Oddometer: 629
My new ride:

What I'm flying at the moment:

Vide, Aude, Tace

The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only stare skyward and wish

Experience is not what happens to a man, it is what a man does with what happens to him - Aldous Huxley
aclark79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:14 PM   #4650
Elvis70
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,053
Nice, weren't you at PHI not long ago? How is AD? You like it there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclark79
My new ride:

What I'm flying at the moment:

I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: