Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 154 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 10:29 PM   #4771
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
Truth

But it the case of the 119 it also goes something like this.

The PT-6 engine in it puts out 1000 hp on a standard day and the transmission is capable of 900 HP (round numbers). So on a winter day with all the cold dense air the engine will put out more than what the transmission can handle. End result, you get 100% torque, actually 108% for take off (5 minute limit). Problem is on hot days in the summer the engine is only putting out, lets say 750 HP with the hot thin air, so the result is you hit the temp limit of the engine at somewhere around 85% torque (which sucks!!) Couple that with the rotor blades biting into the same thin air and you have a DOG.
In the winter the Koala is a freak'n performer! I ran it heliskiing for years and it damaged me by making me think that I could do anything. Comparable type is the Astar B3, crazy power and huge tail authority. We were also moving a 2900 lb drill with it too, had to be in the morning with the cool air.
Different deal when the heat of the day shows up.
As for the comment that a single engine isn't enough to produce the power to make a performer, well that doesn't actually hold true. The 214 B1 is a freakshow performer for it's size. Again it comes down to how much the engine produces compared to what the tranny can take. The T-55 in the 214 put out about 3000 hp and the xmsn can handle 2000 (round numbers) so you never run out of engine with heat or altitude. Try to do a N1 topping check on a 214!! you'll have to go to the moon!! Result: you'll always get 100% torque.
Soooooo....where did I start.....Oh yeah, the koala doesn't have a big enough engine in it for high or hot operation. It's the same with the 407. Eagle copters just came out with the 407hp where they're going to put a LTS 101-900 in the thing to solve the problem. Maybe Agusta will take the hint.
Ahhhhh, it all makes sense now!

Thanks!

I'm aware that a single engine copter can be a performer (like the B3 mentioned), but that engine looks pretty small for what appears to be a large craft.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:29 PM   #4772
muskeg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Hey Weirdo, didn't your location read Terrace a while ago? You're movin the wrong way dude! Just kidding. That is a beautiful photo above. I ride in Hyder when I can and only skied at Shames Mt. once on the way to Smithers. They had a LOT of snow. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!
muskeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:03 AM   #4773
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 10,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo

I always have nightmares where I've landed to get a shot like that and the aircraft slides, in slow motion, off the pinnacle as I watch.

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #4774
Weirdo OP
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Ahhhhh, it all makes sense now!

Thanks!

I'm aware that a single engine copter can be a performer (like the B3 mentioned), but that engine looks pretty small for what appears to be a large craft.

Yeah, it's funny that they pick that dash number PT-6. They make bigger ones if they wanted to sick with Pratt. it's a bit of a head scratcher.
They did some other strange things with the original Koala too, the KE has the 109 blades on it and it changed everything. The original's gross weight wasn't enough to justify how many seats it had in it. With a full load of skiers and all the gear that it takes to out in the hills, some days I'd have ten minutes of fuel in the thing
The KE added about 300 pounds useable to the gross. Thank god.

That shot is just north of Terrace, it's fantastic heliski tenure, but a bit of a weather haven. Last year was one of the craziest avalanche years I've every seen. One day we landed on a ridge and set off a slide that ripped out about a kilometer of bowl and went 4000 feet to the valley....Nobody got out and we flew home...
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:36 PM   #4775
AerialCameras
Awkward Boner

Oddometer: 1,926
Anyone in Orlando for Heli Expo?

I ain't had no fun in London since the Hammersmith Palais
AerialCameras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #4776
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,726
we operate to Mil MI8 and am learning a fair bit about them at the moment

the whole M/R hub assy, the engineers cant change anything in the field except for blade attach bolts

if some thing is wrong with it, they change the whole hub assy
same for engines, they WILL run for 1500hrs, the FCU will do 1500hrs, then its off to O/H.

have some pictures around some where but being a bit of a luddite, getting them on to a computer is the hard part

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #4777
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Old 03-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #4778
IdrinkYourMilkshake
n00b

Oddometer: 8
blah blah blah ,not enough pictures!!!

IdrinkYourMilkshake screwed with this post 03-06-2011 at 01:55 PM
IdrinkYourMilkshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:50 AM   #4779
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Apparently they're starting a new version of the EC-145 with a big Fenestron on the back.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #4780
Elvis70
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,056
I wondered why they didn't go the fenestron route when they worked the BK over and turned it into the EC-145.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #4781
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis70 View Post
I wondered why they didn't go the fenestron route when they worked the BK over and turned it into the EC-145.
That's what I wondered too.

I figured it was probably simplicity and cost.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:29 AM   #4782
Cirrus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I'm thinking about printing this off and placing it in the front seat of the Long ranger.

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-la...killed-066267/
Cirrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #4783
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
I'm thinking about printing this off and placing it in the front seat of the Long ranger.

Thats the funniest thing I've seen for a while!

Why this isn't required reading by student pilots is beyond me...
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #4784
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post

The comments are hysterical!

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #4785
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,523
I think I've got it now.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: