ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 126 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #4876
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Eurocopter X4

So ... does anyone want to advance an opinion? Revolutionary? Game changer? No cockpit?

~~~

Eurocopter president and CEO Lutz Bertling says specifications for the new X4 helicopter will be “frozen” in the second quarter, before June, to be followed by a formal launch of the program.

Designed as a replacement for the EC155 Dauphin medium-class twin, the X4 is to set the stage for technologies that Bertling says will be baseline for all Eurocopter helicopters in the 2020 decade.

“Flying this helicopter will be a totally different way of flying an aircraft,” said Bertling at the Helicopter Association International’s annual exhibition and trade show in Orlando this morning. “The first time you set foot in this helicopter, you will miss something – the cockpit.”

~~~

Eurocopter X4 promises technical tour-de-force
By Dan Thisdell


Eurocopter boss Lutz Bertling is crystal-clear about what drives the company, "We don't sell helicopters. We sell mission capability." Then, he adds: "To stay ahead, innovate, innovate, innovate - and innovation means customer value. No gimmicks."

Bertling was speaking in Paris earlier this year about the X3 hybrid helicopter technology demonstrator, which, he stresses, is a project not about speed - it is about cost-effective speed. No doubt when he unveils the much-anticipated X4 high-technology concept he will similarly promise a mix of advanced engineering and bottom-line value.

Until the launch, which may or may not be at the Paris air show in June, Eurocopter is revealing little about the concept set to replace its AS365 Dauphin medium twin. Bertling promises the machine will be a revolutionary step forward in technology, a "game changer" with a "completely different" way of flying. He has also suggested the aim will be to make a technology step-change as dramatic as the introduction by Airbus of fly-by-wire flight control. In Paris earlier this year, he also said the X4 would be Turbomeca-powered.

Clearly, Eurocopter intends to improve on the capabilities of the twin-Turbomeca Arriel 2C-powered Dauphin, which it describes as "a fast and powerful helicopter with long-range capabilities... particularly well-adapted to operations in high altitudes and hot climates". Beyond that, the machine will be a surprise, although Eurocopter's technology development channels may provide some guidance. Visitors to last year's Farnborough air show may recall Eurocopter's full-size mock-up of a diesel-powered helicopter. It is far from clear that Eurocopter will feature diesel development at model launch stage, especially for a Dauphin-sized machine. Bertling has, however, promised 2011 will see the validation of diesel engines in light helicopters under the company's Bluecopter technology development programme. Bluecopter concepts that could feature on the X4 include improvements in noise, vibration and performance through the Blue Pulse and Blue Edge blade programmes. Blue Edge is claimed to be a breakthrough concept in main rotor blades, with a double-swept design that cuts noise and improves performance by passively reducing blade vortex interaction. Blue Pulse is an active concept, in which moveable flaps on the blades provide automatic blade tracking for the entire flight envelope. Eurocopter claims the result to be a significant reduction of blade vortex interaction in all descent conditions. The system is also claimed to reduce cabin vibrations to "near-to-jet" smoothness.

For the X4, Eurocopter is also working on pilot assistance functions such as flight situational awareness and advanced laws to automate flight control. Objectives include easier piloting and enhanced safety when near the ground or fixed or mobile obstacles - hover and low-speed manoeuvres such as oil rig final approaches, for example - particularly in degraded visual conditions. Techniques being developed to provide crew with continuous monitoring of the environment include 3D synthetic vision, 2D digital navigation management displays, a helicopter-specific tunnel for flight guidance, automatic mission re-planning in case of detected hazards and a 4D autopilot guidance module.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #4877
Elvis70
No speed traps in the sky
 
Elvis70's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Oddometer: 5,053
Yeah, the had orders for the 427 and 427ifr, and the 210 as well. I could be proven wrong. Let's meet back here in 5 years or the program is cancelled, whichever comes first, and one of us can say I told you so.

I can tell you the largerst EMS company in the world, AMC, only got the first one cause the hospital insisted they wanted it. I bet AMC doesn't get another. Not if they have any say about it. And without the big companies; AMC, Metro, Omni, buying them, that leaves only a few small programs to pick up a couple here and there.




Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Why do you say that?

Per Wiki: "As of June 2009, the Bell 429 had received over 301 orders."
__________________
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #4878
aclark79
Rotor Driver
 
aclark79's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: PDX, Other places
Oddometer: 629
But, AMC isn't buying it because its cheaper to operate single engine aircraft in the US, not because there are "better" single engine aircraft out there. That isn't to say the aircraft could fail, but if it does it will be because it couldn't find a market vs being an inferior aircraft.

If the US goes the route of Canada and mandates twins for all EMS opps, I bet we'd see alot more orders faster.

Supposedly they are buying two in the Emirates for VIP work, the pilot who test flew the 429 was very impressed.
__________________


Vide, Aude, Tace


The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only stare skyward and wish

Experience is not what happens to a man, it is what a man does with what happens to him - Aldous Huxley
aclark79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #4879
Elvis70
No speed traps in the sky
 
Elvis70's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Oddometer: 5,053
AMC still operates more twins than anybody else, and they don't intend to buy anymore 429's, just like they didn't want to buy this one. They didn't want the MD902 in MO either, but again the hospital insisted.




Quote:
Originally Posted by aclark79 View Post
But, AMC isn't buying it because its cheaper to operate single engine aircraft in the US, not because there are "better" single engine aircraft out there. That isn't to say the aircraft could fail, but if it does it will be because it couldn't find a market vs being an inferior aircraft.

If the US goes the route of Canada and mandates twins for all EMS opps, I bet we'd see alot more orders faster.

Supposedly they are buying two in the Emirates for VIP work, the pilot who test flew the 429 was very impressed.
__________________
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #4880
taosgsr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
taosgsr's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: 3 miles south of 37, La Plata, NM
Oddometer: 400
AMC did not buy this one, check your facts
__________________
See ya at the Pub!!
"don't I have a real dirtbike to do this on?????"
taosgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:27 AM   #4881
Elvis70
No speed traps in the sky
 
Elvis70's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Oddometer: 5,053
Which one? Des Moines Iowa is where the AMC 429 is, could be the hospital bought it and AMC is just operating it, but either way, they would of rather the hospital went with something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosgsr View Post
AMC did not buy this one, check your facts
__________________
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #4882
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosgsr View Post
Kinda wondering the same thing. We tested her against the EC145 at our base at 5500. Also into the san Juan mountains testing her in situations between 11 and 14k. The 429 was the clear winner. Both tests in July last summer.
I wonder how the 145-T2 will compare.

They put more powerful engines and transmission in it.

Basically upgraded everything powerwise and added a Fenestron.
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #4883
davsato
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: southern England
Oddometer: 799
eurocopter just bought our company (vector aerospace) and we had a little "welcome to the fold" talk by lutz-bertling.
have to add him (along with the irish bloke) to the list of managers that we cant understand.

though to be honest, it could be the cheapest mickey mouse PA system in the world, allied to the acoustics in an empty aircraft hanger?
__________________
Dave
davsato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:41 PM   #4884
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsato View Post
eurocopter just bought our company (vector aerospace) and we had a little "welcome to the fold" talk by lutz-bertling.
have to add him (along with the irish bloke) to the list of managers that we cant understand.

though to be honest, it could be the cheapest mickey mouse PA system in the world, allied to the acoustics in an empty aircraft hanger?
You guys are lucky, ours is in the dirty old warehouse with enough seating for about 2/3 of the people.
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #4885
FAH-Q!
It wasn't me!
 
FAH-Q!'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Park Sizzle Utah
Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubatoe View Post
Running down sea would've had the ship pitching a lot more, and taking the sea broadside would've had it rolling like crazy. The course they're heading looks to be one that minimized both. A rolling deck is actually much easier to land on than a pitching deck (since height of the deck does not change with roll). Regardless, you just wait for the lull when the deck settles out for a few seconds, and authoritatively land the sucker - which is what they did.

Good times.
To me that still doesn't make sense. They were going 45 into it. If they would've turned 45 to starboard they would've been right into it. Rule of thumb is whenever something major happens that needs to be addressed or fixed on board the captain turns it directly down sea as to prevent any harsh pitching or sudden movements. The boat rides smoother. At least that's what we've done.
__________________
Remember, it's not how many you kill, it's who you kill.


"Liquor? I don't even know her."
FAH-Q! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #4886
jdgretz
Looking for new places
 
jdgretz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
Oddometer: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAH-Q! View Post
To me that still doesn't make sense. They were going 45 into it. If they would've turned 45 to starboard they would've been right into it. Rule of thumb is whenever something major happens that needs to be addressed or fixed on board the captain turns it directly down sea as to prevent any harsh pitching or sudden movements. The boat rides smoother. At least that's what we've done.
Could it be that they were testing some sort of semi-automated landing system or something related?

jdg
__________________
'07 Norge - the fast red one
'03 Honda Shadow 750 - Rocky
'99 Honda Helix - Little Zippy
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:02 PM   #4887
helipilot650l
Sweet!!!!!!
 
helipilot650l's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Medford, Or
Oddometer: 174
Thats One of the sweetest Pics I have every seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
I love to see helos in the snow. I am CFI rotorcraft in southern oregon. I also Ride alot. Whats it take to come up and Fly in Canada? Looks like fun
__________________
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.
helipilot650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:05 PM   #4888
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant
 
emerson.biguns's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: The Old Pueblo
Oddometer: 10,006
Stealth helicopters.


.
emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:55 AM   #4889
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant
 
emerson.biguns's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: The Old Pueblo
Oddometer: 10,006
emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:57 AM   #4890
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer
 
I_FLY_LOW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Oddometer: 2,590
I was reading about that this morning in another forum... Interesting...
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/top-se...ry?id=13530693
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014