User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 114 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 08:15 AM   #5236
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,227
I really like riding in the back of the MIL 8, but they make more noise than any bird I have ever been in.

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #5237
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kav View Post
Ok Spooky night for me two nights ago and a lesson learned too: When you are sitting on the ramp of a C-130 cargo plane while it is flying you need to not sit on the side of it. The wind will snatch you up and try to toss you out of the bird. Hooray for harnesses! And I'm glad I did not drop the camera. I think that was caused by my death grip on at due to thinking I was going out of the back of the bird and I want to hold on to something.So once I pulled myself safely back onto the ramp I started snapping photos and shooting some video. These were with a taken with night vision device (NVD Click Me) under starlight. I was not planning on flying that night, but took it as a chance to learn what works best with the NVD because I will be using it later. The thing is when our pilots fly using night vision goggles this is what they see. We are flying in a very tight formation. And in order for our helos to refuel our helo has to fly about as fast as it can, and the tanker aircraft as to fly about as slow as it can. Sorry for how grainy these photos are, but that's what it looks like through our eyes.
I had a chance to do (attempt?) inflight refueling while in Nam, and I've got to tell you, it's not nearly as easy as it looks. As an Army pilot, it's not something we do, so the chance to fly a Jolly Green and do inflight refueling was a flight I couldn't pass up. When we got done, I felt like I'd been put through a ringer, but also very satisfied at having accomplished something that most Army Aviators will never do.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:12 PM   #5238
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
Quote:
Originally posted by Kav:

...The wind will snatch you up and try to toss you out of the bird...
You wouldn't have been the first young troop to be tossed out of a C-130... Airborne D.I.'s occasionally "inspired" young troopers to exit the aircraft... shit!!!!!!!

Thanks for the photos and service.

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:37 PM   #5239
PackRat
Huey Guns

Oddometer: 1,444
Kav - neat shots......seeing those tip path formation lights brought back lots of memories!!!!

Yungas Rd.-Bolivia, Alaska '08 - Labrador '10 -
PackRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:16 PM   #5240
ChopHawk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Kav, great shots. those 53E's came out of where I work here in Stratford Ct quite a few years ago it's great to see they are still doing the job. we are getting alot of stuff here to test for the 53K model, wish the K could get out there alot sooner to you guys. thanks for your service,
ChopHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #5241
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,308

"PULLUP!!!PULLUP!!!PULLUP!!!"

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:07 PM   #5242
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post

holy crap that is great!!

be a man dodge tree bark!

We’ve said it before, but it bears repeating; the GS handles in ways a two-story building was never meant to.

Taking collections for Faye Butler Training please spare some change.

www.kmotorwerks.com

Remember red and yellow make orange.so to think orange is better means you have to use two steps to get there.
________
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:14 PM   #5243
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post

Details! Details..!
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #5244
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,426
well they thought if the just went to nudge it, with the skid to get it to move ,so they could land.......

be a man dodge tree bark!

We’ve said it before, but it bears repeating; the GS handles in ways a two-story building was never meant to.

Taking collections for Faye Butler Training please spare some change.

www.kmotorwerks.com

Remember red and yellow make orange.so to think orange is better means you have to use two steps to get there.
________
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:19 PM   #5245
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach40 View Post
Details! Details..!
Found it in the WTF thread.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:38 PM   #5246
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer

Oddometer: 2,488
that helo looks full and that gator/croc (?) has gotta weigh 500 pounds or so. Hope it let go are there's gonna be quite a mess to clean up!
“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”, Mario Andretti

Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #5247
PvtIdaho
Deck Spotter

Oddometer: 2,015
CG crash survivor faces charges in deadly incident

Anybody have any information on this? http://news.yahoo.com/cg-crash-survi...163127666.html.

Quote:
JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) — More than a year had passed since the U.S. Coast Guard helicopter crash off Washington state killed three of Lt. Lance Leone's colleagues.
The sole survivor and co-pilot, Leone had recovered from his injuries and been cleared, his father said, for flight re-training.
But that never happened. Instead, Leone was charged with negligent homicide and other violations of the Uniform Code of Military Justice in connection with the July 2010 accident
The article is short on detail - who was the PIC and the Pilot at the controls. But it is unusual, to say the least, to see these kinds of charges filed after a mishap.

Any Coasties here?
Old 12-05-2011, 06:31 AM   #5248
roamer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
I'm a former coastie. That was 20 years ago now, and a lot has changed.
But even back then, there was a change taking place. There seemed to be an influx of blame flamers.
Sadly, reading this article doesn't suprise me at all. My reaction to it was more along the line of 'business as uaual'.
I think that is the result of having a sytem in place where the only way to get rid of an ass hole at a duty station is to promote them. It's the easiest, surest method to get some one transfered out of a job, and it was used heavily to fix 'problems'.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:18 PM   #5249
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer View Post
I'm a former coastie. That was 20 years ago now, and a lot has changed.
But even back then, there was a change taking place. There seemed to be an influx of blame flamers.
Sadly, reading this article doesn't suprise me at all. My reaction to it was more along the line of 'business as uaual'.
I think that is the result of having a sytem in place where the only way to get rid of an ass hole at a duty station is to promote them. It's the easiest, surest method to get some one transfered out of a job, and it was used heavily to fix 'problems'.
Sounds very familiar. The military probably operates the same way today. Numpties were always sent on course, after course, after course, to get them out of the way. The obvious consequence arose when it was time for top jobs to be filled. The most "qualified" were the idiots that had been doing the courses and they were the ones that ended up in charge.

Beach40 screwed with this post 12-05-2011 at 05:27 PM
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #5250
Elvis70
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,053
This brings to mind the tarring of the Captain of the U.S.S Indianapolis during WWII. Great book if you never read the story.

Summary is he is the only Captain to ever be court marshalled after his ship was torpedoed by an enemy (Jap sub) vessel.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: