Oddometer: 2,975
Good explanation here:

http://www.helis.com/howflies/groures.php
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #5342
Elvis70
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,056
Worn out tangs, and/or shock absorbers on skids makes A-stars very susceptible to ground resonance. Poor pilotage can put any multi bladed helicopter in ground resonance. A 2 bladed system can not enter ground resonance as the phase relationship of the blades is fixed. They do not have lead/lag hinges.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #5343
Trixie
No, not that Trixie

Oddometer: 3,483
lead/lag hinges?

You mean you can adjust the rotor blade position as it spins around the rotor shaft? not the attack angle of the blade, but its orientation (1 o'clock, 2 o'clock) etc)?

Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #5344
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,727
lead / lag cannot be adjusted in flight, only as a maintenance action to affect the track and balance.

the lead and lag dampers allow the blade attachment some flex as it rotates. Then it is advancing it comes under some load (its flying in to the wind / going upwind) and then as its retreating (going down wind) it doesn't have so much load to these allow them move a bit.

I have some easily accessible photos that I shall try to post up later. I have more but they are old school real film that need scanning, and they are packed away as well.

Helicopters are pretty simple - from the swashplate downwards, its the aerodynamics of the mechanics that is interesting and the limitation of speed.

There is a lot of knowledge on this thread - I am in maintenance tech services and am sure people won't mind if you ask questions. They are not too hard (for me now!) but there are a number of ways of doing the same thing that doesn't seem to occur on fixed wing too much.

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:26 PM   #5345
Elvis70

Rotor blades on multi bladed systems are allowed to lead and lag to absorb coriolis force do to cg of blade moving in and out as a result of coning.

2 bladed systems are under slung as to cope with this phenomenon. Pick up a basic helicopter handbook from ASA and all this is illustrated in detail and ASA books are cheap.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Old 02-26-2012, 12:35 AM   #5346
LemurPilot
Nugget

Oddometer: 268
2 bladed systems will not do this because they are on the same spar, so cant diverge/converge on each other. The "huey" bouncing on the ground is simply a badly set up system, track, balance and trim and you'll have it smooth as an A-Star.
This guy should have just pulled in some pitch and got of the ground then landed it again a little more smoothly. Check out the beginning of McGyver, they left it in the title shot and the pilot did the right thing, door open and all:

Old 02-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #5347
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by poondogger View Post
Flying will never get old for me.
Who do you fly for?
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #5348
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemurPilot View Post
This guy should have just pulled in some pitch and got of the ground then landed it again a little more smoothly.

Not the Mcgyver clip - I am refering to the AS350 destruction clip

I dont think there was anybody in it. I didnt see any one get out or blood splater afterwards!
there is a lock for the collective that can be installed to hold the collective down. I think the pilot got out to brief the passengers, open a gate or something. Seems worng and odd but it happens
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷

Hay Ewe screwed with this post 02-26-2012 at 02:49 PM
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #5349
Weirdo OP
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLizVt View Post
Hi!

My apologies if this is 205, but I don't remember seeing this video in this thread. At 43 or 44 seconds in, there's a Green Skyline Agusta. Anyone recognize it? (Weirdo?)

Enjoy,

Liz

Yup, that'd be Skyline. Not sure when, but probably up at Norther Escape Heliskiing. Lot of film crews came and went out of Terrace over the years. Matchstick, Standard to name a couple.

Actually Skyline sold one of the Koalas, got rid of the straight version and kept the KE. I miss flying that thing for skiing, nothing like power to make a guy happy.

Love the vid by the way. Also makes me miss Whistler.......what a second......What have I done to my life?????
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #5350
Hedge36
Chasing parts.

Oddometer: 44,526
Nobody said growing up was easy, kid.
Hedge36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:04 AM   #5351
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,606
hey peeps - just a wee headsup

operated flights Brisbane Port Moresby Brisbane on wednesday and then paxed home Brisbane Christchurch n ended up sitting next to a guy we'd flown from POM-BNE...

turns out hes flight ops manager for Pacific Helicopters in PNG (he's based at Goroka) and said they are looking for a couple of pilots.....

Pacific is pretty big up there doing gas oil and seismic work, have a fleet of 212's, AS350's, Longrangers etc.

Pay is pretty good from what I understand (NZD100k n up)...applicants need to have 2000+ hours and be able to handle a 200ft longline from an AS350.....

just trying to help out here folk!

Shaggie

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:52 AM   #5352
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis70 View Post
Rotor blades on multi bladed systems are allowed to lead and lag to absorb coriolis force do to cg of blade moving in and out as a result of coning.

2 bladed systems are under slung as to cope with this phenomenon. Pick up a basic helicopter handbook from ASA and all this is illustrated in detail and ASA books are cheap.
Can we eliminate this problem entirely by going to single blade systems?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:57 AM   #5353
Trixie
No, not that Trixie

Oddometer: 3,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post

Single blades- Another name for "Fixed wing"

Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:13 AM   #5354
Hedge36
Chasing parts.

Oddometer: 44,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post

They tried that a coupla times, as I recall. Didn't work out so well.
Hedge36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #5355
Elvis70

Actually the Germans had a single bladed stationary trainer and even a version that flew. One big blade and a counter balance. No desire to fly it.

http://www.luftfahrtmuseum.com/htmi/ii/i000068.htm

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: