Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 126 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #5431
Weirdo OP
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackRat View Post
Yes, Sir!....several of them........often when fighter pilots tell me how great fast movers are, I just listen, then at the end of their story, I mention "being cold, wet and scared at the end of my hoist cable didn't seem too great to me!! "

They do buy the drinks though!!

Keep your turns in the green, Weirdo!!

Yeah I love that stuff too. When the jet guys that I know the comment how slow helicopters are I tell them that they're right, in fact so slow that I can stop and pick your lost ass up out of the bush. They never seem to buy me drinks though.

Spinny side up and greasy side down Doode, be safe.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #5432
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,441
I always liked the helicopter version of "High Flight".

"put out my hand, and touched a tree."

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #5433
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
We hava a chat about how the pic should go and what my plan for an emergency is. I always tell the crew that I love two words when it comes to technical pics. Predictable and boring. I say to the lads that if anything starts to happen fast, it's because something bad is happening and they should protect themselves at all costs.
At the end of the day, you're right, the boys put a lot of faith in me. I take that with the utmost seriousness.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #5434
Daz-o-matic
HOT POOP

Oddometer: 344
Great stuff, Weirdo! Cool to watch it from both perspectives. Sure is nice country up that way - I'm out on another low timer road trip soon, and i just might have to find a reason to head that way (good thing my little EX500 is cheap on gas!).

Keep them vids coming...

Quote:
I always tell the crew that I love two words when it comes to technical pics. Predictable and boring. I say to the lads that if anything starts to happen fast, it's because something bad is happening and they should protect themselves at all costs.
I'ma file this advice away in my head - well said.

- D.
Daz-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #5435
Weirdo OP
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz-o-matic View Post
Great stuff, Weirdo! Cool to watch it from both perspectives. Sure is nice country up that way - I'm out on another low timer road trip soon, and i just might have to find a reason to head that way (good thing my little EX500 is cheap on gas!).

Keep them vids coming...

I'ma file this advice away in my head - well said.

- D.

That's one of the problems with living in Rupert, it's on the way to nowhere (unless you're going to Haida Gwaii) so I don't get a lot of visitors

The road from Terrace to Rupert is one hell of a nice road for a bike mind you, if you make it this way let me know.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #5436
BeeDub
Havagoowan

Oddometer: 2,022
Anyone know how difficult, regulatorily speaking, it is to get a transition from rotary to fixed wing?

I learned to fly helicopters a few years back, got up to ~125 hours and decided to stick with the career I was already in. That being said, I'd still love to fly, and think about getting rated for fixed wing all the time so I can actually afford to fly as a private citizen. I know I'd have to re-learn all of the regs and radio work with how long it's been, and of course learn the controls of a fixed wing aircraft, but I'm wondering what the regs are on getting the transition.

Thanks
BeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #5437
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeDub View Post
Anyone know how difficult, regulatorily speaking, it is to get a transition from rotary to fixed wing?

I learned to fly helicopters a few years back, got up to ~125 hours and decided to stick with the career I was already in. That being said, I'd still love to fly, and think about getting rated for fixed wing all the time so I can actually afford to fly as a private citizen. I know I'd have to re-learn all of the regs and radio work with how long it's been, and of course learn the controls of a fixed wing aircraft, but I'm wondering what the regs are on getting the transition.

Thanks
You don't say where you live (country wise) so I'm going to presume the USA and a private pilots certificate with a Class 3 Physical. Your license currently shows you with a Rotorcraft - Helicopter Category rating. The FAA says in FAR 61.63:
Quote:
Sec. 61.63
  • Additional aircraft ratings (other than for ratings at the airline transport pilot certification level).
(a) General. For an additional aircraft rating on a pilot certificate, other than for an airline transport pilot certificate, a person must meet the requirements of this section appropriate to the additional aircraft rating sought.
(b) Additional aircraft category rating. A person who applies to add a category rating to a pilot certificate:
(1) Must complete the training and have the applicable aeronautical experience.
(2) Must have a logbook or training record endorsement from an authorized instructor attesting that the person was found competent in the appropriate aeronautical knowledge areas and proficient in the appropriate areas of operation.
(3) Must pass the practical test.
[(4) Need not take an additional knowledge test, provided the applicant holds an airplane, rotorcraft, powered-lift, weight-shift-control aircraft, powered parachute, or airship rating at that pilot certificate level.]
Basically, get your medical current, take some lessons, demonstrate proficiency to your instructor and then prove it again to the FAA. There is (or at least used to be) a minimal amount of time required for the add-on, but it's so low that unless you've been flying the new Category (airplane) a lot, you'll exceed the minimum during your transition training. Since you are not changing to a new level of airman's certificate i.e. Private to Commercial, there should be no FAA Written exam required, only the practical (flight exam).

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T

jdgretz screwed with this post 08-09-2012 at 07:23 PM
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #5438
BeeDub
Havagoowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgretz View Post
You don't say where you live (country wise) so I'm going to presume the USA and a private pilots certificate with a Class 3 Physical. Your license currently shows you with a Rotorcraft - Helicopter Category rating. The FAA says in FAR 61.63:
Basically, get your medical current, take some lessons, demonstrate proficiency to your instructor and then prove it again to the FAA. There is (or at least used to be) a minimal amount of time required for the add-on, but it's so low that unless you've been flying the new Category (airplane) a lot, you'll exceed the minimum during your transition training. Since you are not changing to a new level of airman's certificate i.e. Private to Commercial, there should be no FAA Written exam required, only the practical (flight exam).

jdg
Thank you very much for taking the time to look that up. It's been awhile since I've dealt with aviation regs and I don't think I have a FAR AIM anymore, so it would've taken me a lot longer. And yes, you are correct, I'm in California. I learned to fly at Chino, but I'm up in the Auburn area now.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #5439
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Quote:
Thank you very much for taking the time to look that up. It's been awhile since I've dealt with aviation regs and I don't think I have a FAR AIM anymore, so it would've taken me a lot longer. And yes, you are correct, I'm in California. I learned to fly at Chino, but I'm up in the Auburn area now.
You'll find the transition to Airplanes much easier than going the other direction. Airplanes pretty much want to fly on their own. Regular take-offs are very simple with short/soft field techniques not much harder. Once you've done a landing or two, you'll find that attitude that you hold that will usually get you right to the ground without a lot of drama - at lest until the cross winds are vicious or you're making a short field landing in a tree surrounded field (remember the wind quits when you get below the tree tops so keep your speed up a bit on those).

I took my first fixed wing lessons at Viking Aero Service at VNY while I was on leave from Vietnam, then completed my Commercial, Multi-engine, IFR, CFI stuff(tm) in Texas outside of Austin. My fixed-wing commercial was an add-on to my Commercial Rotorcraft - Helicopter which in turn was granted due to my military flight time.

Enjoy.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
Old 08-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #5440
BeeDub
Havagoowan

Quote:
You'll find the transition to Airplanes much easier than going the other direction. Airplanes pretty much want to fly on their own. Regular take-offs are very simple with short/soft field techniques not much harder. Once you've done a landing or two, you'll find that attitude that you hold that will usually get you right to the ground without a lot of drama - at lest until the cross winds are vicious or you're making a short field landing in a tree surrounded field (remember the wind quits when you get below the tree tops so keep your speed up a bit on those).

I took my first fixed wing lessons at Viking Aero Service at VNY while I was on leave from Vietnam, then completed my Commercial, Multi-engine, IFR, CFI stuff(tm) in Texas outside of Austin. My fixed-wing commercial was an add-on to my Commercial Rotorcraft - Helicopter which in turn was granted due to my military flight time.

Enjoy.

jdg
I've heard that it should be a bit easier to learn fixed wing controls, and while I know there's a lot to learn in that regard, I'm confident I can do it. Now, getting my radios down again, and learning enough ground speak to pass a practical is where I shudder a bit. I'm not sure I ever got real good at radios in 125 hours...

Anyway, it seems like a lot of fun to get another type of flying machine under my belt in this lifetime, and I don't believe in dying with unfulfilled wishes. I do wish it were more affordable, like back in my grandpa's younger days. My dad tells me he owned a few planes (not at the same time) back in the days after WWII, and I know he never had more income than I do, relatively speaking...

Maybe a kit plane someday. Thanks again for your help on this, I appreciate it.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #5441
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Quote:
I've heard that it should be a bit easier to learn fixed wing controls, and while I know there's a lot to learn in that regard, I'm confident I can do it. Now, getting my radios down again, and learning enough ground speak to pass a practical is where I shudder a bit. I'm not sure I ever got real good at radios in 125 hours...

Anyway, it seems like a lot of fun to get another type of flying machine under my belt in this lifetime, and I don't believe in dying with unfulfilled wishes. I do wish it were more affordable, like back in my grandpa's younger days. My dad tells me he owned a few planes (not at the same time) back in the days after WWII, and I know he never had more income than I do, relatively speaking...

When I was going through primary flight training at Ft. Wolters in Texas, one of my instructors took a couple of us up to listen to the professional pilots talk to ATC as our radio work was not quite up to par. So he flips over to Ft. Worth and we hear the Branniff milk run begin to make its run with (insert Texas drawl) "Hello Ft. Worth! Jolly Green heading south. Passin' 10 for 35."

So much for proper radio procedure with the professionals

I know there are some ATC procedure trainers available - both on the computer and at various FBOs. Might be worth while?

If you don't mind going low and slow, you can get a solid airplane in the $20k price range. Of course maintenance, parking, insurance and all that other stuff then has to be figured in as well.

Good luck,

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
Old 08-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #5442
BeeDub
Havagoowan

Quote:
When I was going through primary flight training at Ft. Wolters in Texas, one of my instructors took a couple of us up to listen to the professional pilots talk to ATC as our radio work was not quite up to par. So he flips over to Ft. Worth and we hear the Branniff milk run begin to make its run with (insert Texas drawl) "Hello Ft. Worth! Jolly Green heading south. Passin' 10 for 35."

So much for proper radio procedure with the professionals

I know there are some ATC procedure trainers available - both on the computer and at various FBOs. Might be worth while?

If you don't mind going low and slow, you can get a solid airplane in the $20k price range. Of course maintenance, parking, insurance and all that other stuff then has to be figured in as well.

Good luck,

jdg
That's awesome.

I look on global plane search all the time. I have to admit, that would be about my price range unless I built one slowly, and it would bother me to have to finance something old and slow. If I ever own, it'll probably be because I built it or I hit the lottery. I like the velocity right now. Then again, I suppose I could come up with the next best implement for slicing bread one day...Anyway, sorry helo guys for ruining this thread with airplanes.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:37 AM   #5443
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,366
Quote:

Everything you want to know about coms with ATC

http://scottsasha.com/aviation/plans/commshandout.html

Also if you join AOPA they have interactive training called Say It Right which will help you with transitioning through all the different types of airspace with what to say and what to expect ATC to say.

Low level flights on the East coast of Florida you are constantly on the radio transitioning through B, C and D airspace Flight Following, Miami radio, ATIS , AWOS etc. For me the easiest thing to do is write down all the radio freqs on my kneeboard in the order I will be using them.

I just did a check ride a couple days ago and the FAA is very serious about proper radio coms even into uncontrolled airports.

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #5444
BeeDub
Havagoowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slideways View Post
Everything you want to know about coms with ATC

http://scottsasha.com/aviation/plans/commshandout.html

Also if you join AOPA they have interactive training called Say It Right which will help you with transitioning through all the different types of airspace with what to say and what to expect ATC to say.

Low level flights on the East coast of Florida you are constantly on the radio transitioning through B, C and D airspace Flight Following, Miami radio, ATIS , AWOS etc. For me the easiest thing to do is write down all the radio freqs on my kneeboard in the order I will be using them.

I just did a check ride a couple days ago and the FAA is very serious about proper radio coms even into uncontrolled airports.
Thanks for that! That's what I used to do with my radio freqs too, when I was flying regularly in all the airspace around LA. Luckily though, my check ride was out in the desert, so I didn't get tripped up...
Old 08-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #5445
Weirdo OP
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
A) I assume the lift cable is non-conductive as none of the riggers got zapped from rotorhead static electricity when they grabbed hold of the tower section.

B) I liked how you made sure not to "carry" the tower section over any living / work space.
It's not too often that the conditions cause the static to build up enough to cause a discharge. Usually under normal sling jobs a good zap is the cause of much hilarity. If there's snow falling or dark clouds in the area it's a good sign that the hook is going to be hot. The day that we stacked that tower the hook was cold, but yes there is a electrical cable in the centre of the line to run the remote hook, so it is conductive.

Knowing that every load potentially can come off it's critical to reduce the exposure time to the absolute minimum.

Some good points here in a video that Vardy made a couple of years ago with a bunch of footage of the Skyline crew and this mut here:

http://ram.canadacast.ca/asxgen/tran...OOK/HookEN.wmv

Don't get under the load unless it's necessary, don't get lazy, keep your eye on the hook.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: