Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 141 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #5446
Weirdo OP
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
I used to ride the basket under an HH-52 or an HH3F for the USCG in the Gulf of Mexico. Seemed like every time there was a charge in the cable. The boat crew "catching" me had a big ol' plastic handled hook with a grounding cable clamped to the ship hull that they used to dissipate the cable charge.

Having run forklifts, mobile cranes and Tavel-lift boat hoists I'm used to worrying about what is or isn't under the load, so seeing you plot your way around any high risk zones just jumped out at me.

Say Hi to Brad for me the next time you chat with him.
Hey when you're right you're right. Overhead loads are a risk! I think it's cool that you caught how the lift was put into place. The difference with a heli lift is that you have to factor wind into how you get your pick up and into the drop given the ground hazards. Lucky for me on this day the winds were in my favour and there was a good way in and out of the drop with only a one set of wires as an obstacle that had me concerned.

I talked to Brad tonight, he's doing great. It's funny he's be doing this game for a lot longer than me, but we have the about the same amount of hours. He's my mentor in this gig, I suppose we all need a mentor.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:00 AM   #5447
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
Did some steel setting the other day for the radio build that we've been working on. With a second gopro up the tower it gives a good perspective from the ground.

Sheeeet!

Is that how smooth they all go?

I imagine there are a myriad of things that can make that a lot less fun?

- Bit of wind
- Less experience on all sides
- Mechanical issues
and and and

Props to you Sir.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #5448
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
I used to ride the basket under an HH-52 or an HH3F for the USCG in the Gulf of Mexico. Seemed like every time there was a charge in the cable. The boat crew "catching" me had a big ol' plastic handled hook with a grounding cable clamped to the ship hull that they used to dissipate the cable charge.
WTH Goede!! what was your job?
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #5449
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,650
The organisation I work for (I do tech services / tech records) a LOT of our work is longlining - we have one of if not the highest RIN count 407 in the world, brand new out of the factor we timex the mast on Rin in about 2500hrs.

We also have Mil8 and one here a few years back was slinging a 20foot container, he had tension on the line and facing in to wind just in the hover waiting for the breeze to come good for the extra bit of transition (?) lift he needed - the russian crews are pretty good - shame about their paper work!

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #5450
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
The organisation I work for (I do tech services / tech records) a LOT of our work is longlining - we have one of if not the highest RIN count 407 in the world, brand new out of the factor we timex the mast on Rin in about 2500hrs.

We also have Mil8 and one here a few years back was slinging a 20foot container, he had tension on the line and facing in to wind just in the hover waiting for the breeze to come good for the extra bit of transition (?) lift he needed - the russian crews are pretty good - shame about their paper work!

Hay Ewe
Dude that sounds awesome.

Now if anyone could translate it into English, I bet I'd be even more impressed once I understood it!
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #5451
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post

Hay Ewe
ok, here goes...

The organistion (the company) I work for I do the tech services / tech records (aircraft paperwork / compliance) and we do a lot of longlining (rope under neath the helicopter - like a airborn crane) - we have one of the highest if not the highest RIN count (REF/A/) 407 (model of bell helicopter) in the world (the planet we live on), brand new out of the factory we we times the mast on RIN in about 2500hrs (2500hs flying time of the aircraft.

We also have Mil8 (a Russian Helicopter - large twin engine 5 blades that we have two off) and a few years back was slinging a 20foot container (lifting it on a 200foot long piece of rope hanging under the helicopter) and facing in to the wind (like a fixed wing - best for taking off - more lift) in the hover and waiting for the breeze to come good (increase - therefore more lift) for the extra bit of transition lift (REF/B/) lift he needed. The russian crews are pretty good - shame about their paper work! (I try to work with them and guide them but they dont always understand)

REF/A/
Bell have a formula that you have to apply to certain components on the aircraft so that they are withdrawn from use after some many events. In this case the mast can only have so many torque events applied to it. Torque is a twisting load so as the load comes on, the power is applied to the base of the mast but the rotors on the top of the mast dont absorb that power instantly. for the RIN count in this application one uses the formula (landings x 1) + (lifts x 1) = RIN.
RIN - Retirement Index Number.

REF/B/
Transition lift - you often see a helicotper dip its nose when starting to travel forward from the hover. when in teh hover all the forces are acting vertically but when its flying there are vector of forces and whilst transitioning from the hover to forward flight, it helps to have some extra lift. As well, when the helicopter is flying, there is more lift from the blades.
There will be lots of info on the net about this and maybe others will chime in with some info.

I may get round to posting some pics up later.

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Old 08-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #5452
Weirdo OP
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamanya View Post
Sheeeet!

Is that how smooth they all go?

I imagine there are a myriad of things that can make that a lot less fun?

- Bit of wind
- Less experience on all sides
- Mechanical issues
and and and

Props to you Sir.
Noooo they don't go all that smoothly. I've held a piece of a hydo tower in place for 15 minutes while the crew tried to make it fit. "up and inch, down an inch" I was thinking "an inch??? are you kidding me????. I'm 150 feet away in a machine that floating on air and you want inch by inch adjustments??? It felt like forever. That and the tower was over a hundred feet tall so the ground reference was a loooong way away. Eventually the crew realized that the piece was going to need to be modified on the ground, I was a bucket of sweat.

Actually a bit of wind is a good thing. Completely calm not only makes the piece harder to lift but a constant breeze makes the whole process smoother. The machine sits more solidly and becomes more stable, but if its gusty, then the whole works becomes a fight and it may not be worth doing or even trying. Like everything, if you wait for the perfect conditions, you may be waiting for a long time, but if you screw it up, it can be very very bad.

Mechanical issues....bad, you're right there.

And and and thanks for the props, that's kind, but I'm just a humble servert, picking things up and putting them down. It's a living.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #5453
Shadow10
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Dude that sounds awesome.

Now if anyone could translate it into English, I bet I'd be even more impressed once I understood it!
Clarification - you need it translated to 'murican.
Shadow10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #5454
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Just doing the paper work for a mast change on one of our 407's.
Rin'd out in 2038 hrs, it did 9000 slings and 5900 landings
We didn't even get half the hours life out of it

about normal for our 407 fleet

(having a bitch trying to upload photos due connection) working on it

Hay Ewe
Old 08-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #5455
Vagabond_Explorer
Relax_Unwind_Chill

Oddometer: 131
This thread needs more pics.

My 2 favourite European toys:

Vagabond_Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #5456
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 10,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond_Explorer View Post
This thread needs more pics.

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #5457
GSPeP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,154
More pictures ....

At the Fairford Airshow 2007 (UK)

- FB: www.facebook.com/peter.perdaen
- Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/1150GSPEP/videos
GSPeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #5458
GSPeP
Beastly Adventurer

Some more Fairford 2007

Old 08-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #5459
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPeP View Post
Some more Fairford 2007

Now that is cool!

I'd like to see one of those at an airshow.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:17 AM   #5460
GSPeP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Now that is cool!

I'd like to see one of those at an airshow.
This one was from the Czech Republic.

They always have some special visitors at the Fairford Airshow ( www.airtattoo.com )

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: