Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 155 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #5671
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb View Post
I know nothing about helicopters and snow...

Can someone please tell me what's going on with the blankets and the hot air hose (I assume that's what it is) thingo... I'm thinking it's to keep things warmer than if they weren't covered and the hot air is to warm 'stuff' up.

But a more technical answer would be better
Heat pads like already mentioned.

The hot air into the turbine is to not only to help warm up the oil, but also to melt any ice inside and blow it out the back. Hard ice can FOD an engine.

Hung starts can happen if it's super cold inside too.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #5672
Weirdo OP
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb View Post
I know nothing about helicopters and snow...

Can someone please tell me what's going on with the blankets and the hot air hose (I assume that's what it is) thingo... I'm thinking it's to keep things warmer than if they weren't covered and the hot air is to warm 'stuff' up.

But a more technical answer would be better

On cold days the heaters are used to warm engines and transmissions before the first start of the day.

The routine goes something like this:

Right after shut down you put the blankets and blade covers on and if installed plug the Tanis heaters in. Tanis heaters are basically heating pads that are glued to the cases of the transmissions and other critical parts. Then you place car heaters under the dash to try to keep the instruments from getting too cold and anywhere else you think you're going to need them.

In the morning you get up (in -40 degree temps) and head out to the machine right away and fire up the diesel heater (thing with the hoses (that's running on jet fuel)) and put the hoses under the covers and let her rip, then go back for breakfast.

When its time to fire up, pull the blankets off and remove the hoses and heaters. Ideally when you put the battery busses on the oil temps should already be in the green.

If you were to try to fire up a cold soaked machine you'd blow out the seals and basically wreck the thing. Especially a Bell medium. They like to be woken up gently.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:55 AM   #5673
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
On cold days the heaters are used to warm engines and transmissions before the first start of the day.

The routine goes something like this:

Right after shut down you put the blankets and blade covers on and if installed plug the Tanis heaters in. Tanis heaters are basically heating pads that are glued to the cases of the transmissions and other critical parts. Then you place car heaters under the dash to try to keep the instruments from getting too cold and anywhere else you think you're going to need them.

In the morning you get up (in -40 degree temps) and head out to the machine right away and fire up the diesel heater (thing with the hoses (that's running on jet fuel)) and put the hoses under the covers and let her rip, then go back for breakfast.

When its time to fire up, pull the blankets off and remove the hoses and heaters. Ideally when you put the battery busses on the oil temps should already be in the green.

If you were to try to fire up a cold soaked machine you'd blow out the seals and basically wreck the thing. Especially a Bell medium. They like to be woken up gently.
Thanks Weirdo and all the others for the info

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #5674
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
Those photos of Hueys are great. I'm glad to see them still in service. Here's one I took in 1970. The back of the picture had "War Zone D."

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #5675
Hedge36
Chasing parts.

Oddometer: 44,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
Bell medium. They like to be woken up gently.
Preferably with a bit of spooning and some light pillow talk.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #5676
canuckAME
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Someone asked and the machine in the snowstorm is a EC130B4
Basically a pimped out A Star.

canuckAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #5677
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckAME View Post
Someone asked and the machine in the snowstorm is a EC130B4
Basically a pimped out A Star.

Yup, same airframe (I think same TCDS too), just different composite shell for a cockpit and stuck a fenestron on the tailboom.

The new T2 versions have FADEC and full glass cockpit options.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #5678
rawdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Enjoying the winter pics!
rawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #5679
canuckAME
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Our B4's have a Chelton/Cobham flat panel installation. Being made in Texas they don't like the real cold
There's a built in heater in the screens but it can take up to 20 minutes for the magic to appear without preheat.
The B4 has a dual channel FADEC with self contained electronic backup.

canuckAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #5680
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckAME View Post
Our B4's have a Chelton/Cobham flat panel installation. Being made in Texas they don't like the real cold
There's a built in heater in the screens but it can take up to 20 minutes for the magic to appear without preheat.
The B4 has a dual channel FADEC with self contained electronic backup.

Yeah, I guess it's a little cool up there with that white stuff everywhere.

Maybe it's standard now or something. They made a big deal about last year with the introduction on the T2. I was surprised that they didn't offer it before then, but apparently they did.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #5681
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,740
After much working with and multiple phone calls, sometimes whit 4 people on a conference call - 3 langauges, I was able to get this delivered today, ready to re-assemble for us!

Its an S76C, we also have C++ and probably / hopefully more this year. We are also looking for drivers too, S76, B212, B412, B206, B407, AS350 (and fixed wing DHC6, ATR42 and B1900) - pm me if you interested

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #5682
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 952
I presume those positions are in AUS?

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #5683
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgretz View Post
I presume those positions are in AUS?

jdg
No, nothing in AUS, we are currently working in Papua New Guinea (PNG), Indonesia, Myanmar and about to start in Malaysia. our larges are of operations in Papua New Guinea. We currently don't have any flying ops in AUS but hoping to restart that by the end of the year.

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Old 02-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #5684
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
No, nothing in AUS, we are currently working in Papua New Guinea (PNG), Indonesia, Myanmar and about to start in Malaysia. our larges are of operations in Papua New Guinea. We currently don't have any flying ops in AUS but hoping to restart that by the end of the year.

Hay Ewe
Will they pay to get someone trained on one of those?

Old 02-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #5685
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

I don't know. I am not in the HR department. Maybe if you were FO on type and had sufficient background maybe, I just don't know. PM me if you want

I got all excited this morning seeing the boxes and boxes of tech records and log books -

Hay Ewe

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: