User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
Dezi OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Br 319 and on to La Paz

Our Jialing 150's having held up fairly well so far on our voyage from Costa Rica we have decided to put them to a higher test and after sending them by plane to Leticia then by boat to Manaus we plan to ride them through the Amazon to Porto Vehlo, then on through Guajara Mirim, Riberalta and on down highway 8 to La Paz.

does anyone have any experience of these roads? I'm wondering how easy it will be to get petrol, food and water. Are there any places where we won't need to camp?

I've read the road is unpaved for a good 300km stretch on the way to Manaus and that some bridges were washed out. I read that the road from Guajara Mirim to Riberalta is prety roughed up but does anyone know any more of the road conditions from Porto Vehlo through, Guajara Mirim, Riberalta and the highway down to La Paz?

Would be really grateful for any info people have who have riden these roads

Dezi
Dezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,576
Haven't ridden them yet but have done a fair amount of research on BR 319 from Manaus to PV. It is best to ride the road in the dry season from roughly late July to Dec.
Their was an inmate on here named Igoshen (sp?) or something of the like that rode 319 down to the Trans Amazon and headed back into Peru in 2009 IIRC and he didn't have much trouble. Have to search for his report. There is a cellular network system that relies somewhat on the roads but I would plan for little or no services along the route, go prepared with food for a few days and lots of gas. Sure it is possible to barter for some along the way but I would read the guys report and see his expereince.

Couple of threads to search for on HUBB-
The last I'd heard on horizon's unlimited forum was some limey bastards in a big unimog took out another one of the bridges along the route 319 and before that a rider who made the trip within the last year said at least one bridge was out that he used a canoe he found to ferry his bike across the little river.

With the little bikes they should be ideal for getting around the bad bridges and through the mud but I would be sure to have camping gear and carry extra fuel in case you don't run into anywhere to resupply. I understand camping at the cell phone sites worked for some.

If worst comes to worse you can always float the river from Manaus to Humantia nearer Porto Velho. I haven't looked or heard about route farther to the South of PV to La Paz but they are surely more traveled than 319 Manaus to PV.

Goodluck and post up your findings, not many info about these routes because so few ride them. I hope to be in the area sometime before the new year.

John
Old 10-15-2011, 03:54 AM   #3
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,671
AirborneAndy rode the road from La Paz to the Amazonas and they encountered a lot of mud iirc. I'm assuming you'll be coming in to La Paz via the Coroico death road route. I don't think they crossed into Brasil, not sure here. The mud shouldn't be a big deal for you on the 125s but you should probably avoid the wet season if possible.

Check AirborneAndy's ride report.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,324
I had a friend that rode Br319 just over a year ago. According to him and everyone around there it HAS to be done during the dry season. He ended up having to carry a LOT of gas to do it. There were a few "walk the plank" style bridges he had to cross too. He said there was basically NOBODY there for about 600km. He was on a KLR.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,157
If you do it during the dry season, you will be ok. In the rainy season it might be VERY difficult on a bike (even a lightweight 150cc) or simply impassable.
The only thing you have to plan for is gas and food, since there is a stretch of about 600 kms where you will be on your own. The occasional campesino might be seen and sometimes there will be pick-up trucks from Embratel, but nothing else.
Look for Igorshen's ride report here, he has some info on the crossing he did on his KLR.
Buen Viaje
Old 10-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
luciosiq
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Here is a link to a blog written by a couple of friends who just crossed it.
https://sites.google.com/site/cartapecuaria2/viagem-ao-norte?offset=10

It's written in portuguese, but you should be able to see the pictures and movies.
Check posts "Day 5" and "Day 6".
They crossed BR319 in September/11 and got some rain which was shit.
The best period to do it is around June-August the driest period. But, it should be ok until October.
They did it from Porto Velho to Manaus.
They slept at the Embratel (Telecom Company) Tower Sites. Ok to camp there.
Take enough gas to cover about 600KM. There's absolutely nothing between Humaita and Careiro-Castanho. Only jungle.
Here in Brazil we call BR319 the "Ghost Road".
Also, plan to have enough food for 3-4 days.
The biggest challenge is the bridges (or the lack of them) - see pictures on the above blog.
You are going to experience the real Amazon Jungle.
BR319 was built around 1970 and (believe it or not) was100% paved, once upon a time. But, because of the lack of interest on the road, nature took care of it.
Let us know if you need any additional info.
I should be crossing it next year.
Take care.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:50 PM   #7
jdfowl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Bolivian section

I can only comment on the Bolivian section, and I just rode it a few days ago. Fill up in Riberalta, expect long lines, but only because there's tons of motorcycles and they only buy a few liters at a time. There's another gas station about 50miles from Riberalta at the crossroads to Cobija, but you may have to bug the guy because he has to run a gas generator to run the fuel pumps. There's one other gas station that I saw before Rurrenabaque at a major bridge, late in the ride, but I didn't stop to see it's condition because I knew that I had the fuel to make Rurre. When I went through, the fuel station on the main road at Rurre was out of gas, though someone in town probably had some. At the next crossroads, in Yucumo, one station was out of gasoline and the other had gasoline but the pumps were broken, go figure. I bought some from some lady and a ways up the road bought 20L from some enterprising families. You have to start getting pretty close to La Paz before the stations get common, the pavement starts 98km from La Paz. Good luck. And in case you decide to cross at Brasiliea/Cobija, it's around 450km and two ferry crossings to Riberalta, no fuel in between (though some villagers probably have some.

Josh
jdfowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
peteFoulkes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
How did it go?

Hi there,

Just wondering if you ever ended up riding this route? I'm keen to here some more about it if so.

Pete.

Find us on Facebook here:
www.facebook.com/toughmiles
peteFoulkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
csustewy
Motojero

Oddometer: 536
Hopefully Dezi gets back with a full report soon...but to whet your whistle in the meantime, here's a link to our ride report across BR-319 from July 2012:

Rodavia Fantasma - BR-319

Plan on 575 km without fuel, food or water, hope for no rain, and enjoy the jungle!
csustewy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #10
kito
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
have a look on the brazil thread . I came through the BR319 the other week ( end september ) on a G650X it was quite a easy ride .all bridges are fine for a bike .only walked 2 first to see if they ok . I got of the ferry fron manous at 4.20 pm so ended up camping 2 nights .never needed to camp at the towers and never had a problem .. I carryed all the water and gas I needed . its verry hot out the with verry little in the was of shade .120 km from manous the is plenty gas stations . The is some gas available on the way but I would not recomend you to relly on this . good luck watch out for the pudles some are a lot deeper than you would expect
kito is offline   Reply With Quote