http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:40 AM   #18
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrohas3wheels
Bottom line, If you want trouble, have a crappy attitude, you'll find it.
this says it all - change your attitude 3wheels and you'll start enjoying your travels.

Doesn't sell as many DVDs though

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #19
burrohas3wheels OP
Gary Smith

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks
this says it all - change your attitude 3wheels and you'll start enjoying your travels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks

Doesn't sell as many DVDs though

That's what I'm sayin. Traveling is in a large way attitude. Don't let people scare you out of Mexico. Mexico is a great ride with the right frame of mind.

There's an old saying in media, "If it bleeds it leads". Yup, with out bloodshed or violence people generally don't read it or don't watch it.

Read my article at http://burrohas3wheels.com/Is Mexico Dangerous.htm
burrohas3wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:30 AM   #20
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,050
I find it very odd that you will go to jail to fight corruption in the USA (your country) but give council on how to promote corruption amongst law enforcement officials in other countries.
Your holier than though attitude and pious charade is completely hypocritical.
If you have any guts whatsover you would apply your same principles when you are in another country and stand tall for your beliefs. By simply paying bribes you are doing absolutely nothing to help the situation in other countries.
And the old excuse that "even the locals do it", "I heard this from a Mexican", etc... offer you no justification.
This is exactly the kind of double standard and bipolar behavior that makes it tough for travelers.
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #21
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Mister Burro has a severe communications problem. What he thinks he's saying is not coming across; what we're all hearing he's not even aware of saying.

I've had days like that.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #22
burrohas3wheels OP
Gary Smith

I know I might be using some big words for some of the previous posters so please read more carefully and use a dictionary. Regarding my time in a Chicago jail. Think about how easy it is to get framed there. Do you know anything about Chicago's crooked cops?

You must think that paying a fine to the cop on the road in Mexico only happens to motorcycle adventure riders from outside of Mexico. Get a grip. For a long time I was curious about the payment of fines on the road to cops so I asked every national I had a chance to pose the question. 100% said they just pay the cop. I've watched it happen multiple times. In six years traveling Mexico and onto Ushuaia I have only been stopped 3 times. Only once was the stop bogus.

Knock yourself out, stand your ground and wait until hell freezes over for it to change. Oh yeah, and pot will stop crossing the MEX/US border as well.

There are lots of riders who simply want to enjoy a trip through Latin America. My article is for them. If I or they listened to the righteous (we U.S. citizens) have to change Mexico and the be afraid mentality (don't go to Mexico) stuff I am hearing on this thread in response to my article, no one would ever do anything.

I have a question, is Mexico to be considered were only the chosen few should venture? How about we let everybody enjoy a tour by giving them useful knowledge.

It doesn't take a tough guy to tour in Latin America (though some may think so) just a real person.
Read the article at http://burrohas3wheels.com/Is Mexico Dangerous.htm

burrohas3wheels screwed with this post 11-05-2010 at 01:34 PM
Old 11-05-2010, 12:29 PM   #23
burrohas3wheels OP
Gary Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery_Goat
It's difficult to say. I simply having to much fun in Mexico right now. I still have to finish touring Brazil. The orignal plan was to ship the moto to Cape Town from Rio but that got squashed when the Main bearing casing came apart. It's still in the plans because we want to return to Africa.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #24
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
I rest my case.
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:34 PM   #25
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

So you want me to buy a DVD that says its not ok to bribe a cop in the USA but it is ok to bribe a cop in Mexico?

Thanks for your contribution to putting emerging democracies right.

Have you thought about taking out an ad in High Times?
Old 11-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #26
burrohas3wheels OP
Gary Smith

I certainly think laws should be obeyed but I don't always do it. I suspect most of us don't. Is speeding ok in Mexico? No, but even Adventure Riders haul butt. Would it be ok if I made a movie about setting a new speed record through Mexico? The law and what is actually practiced are different things.

Laws withstanding against paying a fine to a cop on the road, my private poll of Mexican nationals indicate that 100% do just that. It's not that they agree with it, it's just seems more practical to them. Apparently no one wants to spend time going to the police station and loose 1/2 days wages when most don't make that much money anyway. If locals want it that way that's the way it is going to be.

View the entire article at http://burrohas3wheels.com/Is Mexico Dangerous.htm
Old 11-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #27
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

100%?
I say that is a load of bull.
Guess you haven't met many Mexicans. There are a fair share of them that would never pay a bribe.
Time for you to do some traveling and research. You can make all the excuses you want for contributing to corruption, no wonder gringos become targets for corrupt cops.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #28
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,550
Haven't paid in mordida in 10 yrs.

On the other hand, my wife doesn't want to go to court to pay, so she will try to pay on the spot for her own convenience. Last time she got pulled over (passing in a no passing zone), she tried to pay the officer but he refused to take the money which then forced her to go in person to pay.

Every time she has been stopped, she had in fact broken a traffic law, something most mordida storytellers fail to mention in their retelling. If you broke a traffic law, it is a fine. If you bribe a cop, it is a mordida.

I was stopped about 3 weeks ago in Matehuala for speeding, about 6 km over the 40km speed limit. The cop told me the problem, and then simply ask that I slow down, because he wanted me to enjoy Mexico and be safe. Probably wanted to practice his English also.

We say in Mexico: Es lo mismo pero no es igual. They may all be cops, but they are all not equal, or the same.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:04 AM   #29
burrohas3wheels OP
Gary Smith

The statement has been made that I don't have much experience and that I am spamming. Let me cover both.

Credentials: Well I have crossed borders hundreds of times over the years including Eastern & Western Europe, Asia, Africa and most of Latin America. Traveling for our entire life my wife and I have over 50 countries under our belts operating one form of vehicle or other including backpacking. We've seen about almost everything that can can cause trouble for travelers. Besides motorcycle adventure riding and motocross I've hitched hiked across half of the U.S. sleeping under overpasses and flop houses. I've been held up 3 times twice being shot at and twice with a knife in my throat. I've led long term contract negotiations. Many of our closest friends work for a NGO. They are ex-military officers who have spent their entire life surviving around the world. One is currently working in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Syria at this time. A depth of knowledge is at my disposal. As a side note; I was once fortunate to gain knowledge of survival from John Testrake the pilot of the TWA airplane hijacked in Lebanon so many years ago while spending a weekend camping with him.

Spamming: As the first post indicated I initially tried to cut and paste the article I wrote but each time I tried it appeared the text was to big. Being new to posting on this form I simply placed a link to my site where the text was complete. If the majority of readers would like to spam this off of this form it is ok with me. If the majority of readers would like it to stay then please support that as well.

Readers can take or leave my position. Constructive dialogue is always appreciated.

burrohas3wheels screwed with this post 11-08-2010 at 08:02 AM
Old 11-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #30
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko
Every time she has been stopped, she had in fact broken a traffic law, something most mordida storytellers fail to mention in their retelling. If you broke a traffic law, it is a fine. If you bribe a cop, it is a mordida.
I think this is true. The reason paying a cop directly still occurs is that it generally costs less than paying the fine. For the guy that's just trying to make a buck hauling vegetables to town with an expired registration, it's more economical to just pay the cop. In a poor country, and for poor people, this "system" works on some level. That said, I've been riding around Mexico, and living here for three years now, and have never been stopped by a cop, and I've broken untold speeding laws, so this discussion seems kinda abstract to me. In answer to the post's title: "Is Mexico Dangerous?", I can only speak from my own experience, and say, no. It isn't any more dangerous than traveling any number of other countries, including the US. BTW, my experience here has included an evening spent with a member of the drug trade, and that night ended with him calling me his hermano.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote