Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #16
pops OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard-NL
Yep, and that werenít even all posts. Every few months this question ďpopsĒ up.
Most of the times I donīt even react on it.

Richard-NL
But you did .
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:47 AM   #17
Evel Knievel
Paredini, Antonio

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
And just one picture of a part for the new Mobec twowheeldrive. Itís pretty obvious. Go figure it out.

Richard-NL
Looks like heavy equipment... Does this contain a reverse gear?
Old 11-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #18
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,939
Be interesting to see what you come up with and at what costs using a freewheeling unlocking hub from a 4WD vehicle since all it does is didconnect the wheel from the axle. Probably be easier to use a system like the little XJ Cherokees w/D30 axle and earlier 83/84 full size Wagoneers w/D44 axle used. It was a vacuum actuated splined collar and a two piece front axle shaft where the collar slides over the inner axle shaft connecting the two pieces. On a bike you could use a lever to slide the collar instesd of a vacuum motor. Be cheaper to get the shaft cut and splined than the machining needed to make an unlocking hub work.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #19
pops OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgser
Be interesting to see what you come up with and at what costs using a freewheeling unlocking hub from a 4WD vehicle since all it does is didconnect the wheel from the axle. Probably be easier to use a system like the little XJ Cherokees w/D30 axle and earlier 83/84 full size Wagoneers w/D44 axle used. It was a vacuum actuated splined collar and a two piece front axle shaft where the collar slides over the inner axle shaft connecting the two pieces. On a bike you could use a lever to slide the collar instesd of a vacuum motor. Be cheaper to get the shaft cut and splined than the machining needed to make an unlocking hub work.
Hi usger.
I will post some photos tonight of what i am trying to do .
Old 11-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #20
brstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by pops
Hi usger.

Before I got Temporarily sabotaged by working away from home so much and various things like the inlaws passing away. And thus side tracked some what. I bought a Subaru viscous coupler and various bits on eBay towards building a 2wd outfit. As I see it taking drive from a chain drive bike "should" be fairly simple. As in without building a cut down motor car. But will see when I get that roundtuit again. Meanwhile with baited breath.......

Oh and I still have 5 chairs in the carport.
brstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #21
Evel Knievel
Paredini, Antonio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops
Hi usger.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #22
Richard-NL
Sidecar Fan

Oddometer: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evel Knievel
Looks like heavy equipment... Does this contain a reverse gear?
No, not in this picture. But an option. This one has electronic adjustable power to the sidecar wheel (4 positions).

Richard-NL
Richard-NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:44 PM   #23
Richard-NL
Sidecar Fan

Oddometer: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by usgser

Yep, a similar idea was used on this outfit. Shaft and chain still turn all the time though. Once the wheel is locked you can only ride it off-road and itís very hard to steer. (No differential). I donít know what cars you have that you can lock when still driving.

Sounds like a very good idea to me.

Richard-NL
Richard-NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #24
pops OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the photos Richard .Quote Once the wheel is locked you can only ride it off-road and itís very hard to steer. (No differential).Quote.

Chain drive.
I could mount the bearing housings on the center axel so i could loosen two nuts to move the complete shaft forward or back to take the chain off to disengage the sidecar wheel.
With a axel and u joints or cv joints on the other end to the bikes wheel
Should be easy to set up.

Shaft drive
both ends with axels and cv joints with the shaft in the middle held by two bearings. Use a free wheeling hub to dissengage the sidecar wheel.

This is a few pics of a rear shaft from a quad i had sitting around, just to give you some idea of what i am trying to do.

Chain drive

Shaft drive

This is a toyota free wheeling hub set up. the top half un bolts to take the disc off . Will be easy to bolt our hub adaptor to it, for the sidecar wheel.

I am having a look at a suzuki free wheeling hub tonight .
Half the size of the toyota one.

The axel for the sidecar wheel is not a problem as i am getting a
new swingarm made so we will make it to suit the chain drive or the shaft drive.
Old swing arm

Hub adaptor for the sidcar wheel . This will need to be changed to suit.
We still have two blank hub adaptors to play with.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #25
Adrian V
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
I think that this is sounding brilliant . Leave it in 1 WD most of the time, get stuck in the sand, engage 2WD ride out and then back to 1WD. Perfect for a long desert trip with a few sandy bits - like the Simpson .........
Adrian V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:57 PM   #26
pops OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian V
I think that this is sounding brilliant . Leave it in 1 WD most of the time, get stuck in the sand, engage 2WD ride out and then back to 1WD. Perfect for a long desert trip with a few sandy bits - like the Simpson .........
Yes Adrian V. Simpson trip next year

I am hoping for a bit less of this. This time.

We are doing a trip next year .
Same as our last 8000 km trip in 2009 but a lot more dirt this time .
It should be better with the 2 wheel drive set up.
(Wife likes the idea of not having to dig or push the sidecar )

Simpson,finke,Tanimi road,Gibb river road , buchanan Highway,
Carpenter Highway,Tableland Highway,Berkley Highway to Mount Isa then back home on the Diamantina road to Boulia on to Birdsville and then home.

We have 5 weeks to do the ride . Easy

Cheers Ian.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #27
3legs
Real men ride sidecars

Oddometer: 998
Hey Pops. Not trying to be a kill joy but it seems like a lot of work for something that you may only use once or twice. I'm mean with your record of breaking things is it really worth it

Plus with the amount of times you may use it, wouldn't it be easier to try and rig up an electric motor on the sidecar wheel that can be engaged at a push of a button (something I've been thinking of myself). Not only that isn't that what passengers are for, getting you out of bogs

3legs
3legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:49 AM   #28
Evel Knievel
Paredini, Antonio

@ Richard-NL:

Sounds interesting, admire the guy that pulls arround outfits that heavy around the corner if you can't make a U-turn. But the price of something like that... Does you're ''bulldozer'' has a reverse?

@ Pops:

Great project! Looks like a 2wd for small money.
Great GS you've got there! My kind of outfit!
Old 11-09-2010, 01:54 AM   #29
Evel Knievel
Paredini, Antonio

Quote:

Yep, a similar idea was used on this outfit. Shaft and chain still turn all the time though. Once the wheel is locked you can only ride it off-road and itís very hard to steer. (No differential). I donít know what cars you have that you can lock when still driving.

Sounds like a very good idea to me.

Richard-NL
A nice stone could put a end to this story. Why dont they make any protection? Looks like a sidecar thats being used...
Old 11-09-2010, 04:17 AM   #30
pops OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3legs
Hey Pops. Not trying to be a kill joy but it seems like a lot of work for something that you may only use once or twice. I'm mean with your record of breaking things is it really worth it

My way of thinking is if you can break it you will always find a way to build a stronger one.

Plus with the amount of times you may use it, wouldn't it be easier to try and rig up an electric motor on the sidecar wheel that can be engaged at a push of a button (something I've been thinking of myself). Not only that isn't that what passengers are for, getting you out of bogs
The wife thinks the same way as you 3legs.

Thanks. Great idea 3legs.The electric motor would work also. I have plenty of space under the seat. Would be easy to drive a belt from the motor to the wheel axel. It might be a pain to get the speed of the motor the same as the rear wheel .
I think you could have some fun with this

Thanks Evel Knievel. It has been a great ride so far .
A lot more fun to ride for the wife and myself, than when the bike was solo.

Cheers Ian.