ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #241
true grip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Great moto destination
true grip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #242
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,973
I've long wanted to visit WV and this summer it'll happen when Barley and I pass thru on our way to the MOA Rally in MO. I had a route all picked out, then saw this thread and am beginning to wonder if I should start all over again. Touristy stuff has little appeal to me; much better to travel rural roads to see what a state is all about. Besides, when traveling with a dog in a sidecar much of what the typical tourist stops to see is off limits to us.

Here's our rough route thru your wonderful state:
Cross from MD on 29 by Forks of Cacapon south to 50, then west to 220.
220 south to 28/55 past Seneca Rocks to 250 NW then back roads to Helvetia
20 south to near Beckley, then 16 all the way to War.
Cross into VA and then KY on 119. From there we straddle the TN border all the way to Land Between the Lakes.

Would it be better to turn right at Seneca Rock and take 33 to Elkins, then on to Helvetia and 20 south..? Maybe not so far south, but cross into KY near Summersville instead? Well-maintained gravel roads are fine, but I try to avoid the rough stuff since my poor dog gets shaken up like a ball in a paint can.

If your best buddy wanted to see as much of your state as possible in a day and a half while passing thru from northeast to west, which way would you send him?

I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #243
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
One thing I might suggest is in Petersburg, WV, stay on US-220 south. Just north of Upper Tract, take a right on Smoke Hole Rd/CR-2. This is where some of my photos above were taken. Be warned, Smoke Hole Rd is not strait at all.

Smoke Hole Rd will take you back to Rt-28/55.

I'd also stay south past Seneca Rocks and do US-250, not the Elkins route.

I've never rode a hack, but I would think 29, 220, 50, 55/28 would be excellent roads for one.

Good lookin' dog!
20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #244
Mike at Tank Vest
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Did a little back road riding today. Nothing major but we did get a few really neat pics...

2006 KLR 650, 1988 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200, 1980 KLX 250
www.tankvest.com
Mike at Tank Vest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #245
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheedle View Post
Did anyone ever answer where and what this is?
Palace of gold, a fun ride there.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ht=palace+gold
mrphotoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #246
smokediver3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
[QUOTEWould it be better to turn right at Seneca Rock and take 33 to Elkins, then on to Helvetia and 20 south..?[/QUOTE]

Not really the better route if you're trying to see the sights. It's not a bad road, but turns to 4 lane for a ways and just goes over the mountain. If you're trying to make time it's not bad though. You might look at turning on to Rt32 and head thru Canaan Valley if you come toward Rt33. You can still make your way to Rt20, but it's much more scenic going past Blackwater Falls, the windmills above Parsons on 219, wind thru some REALLY nice 2lane and end up coming into Phillipi and making your way over to Rt20. From my house to Canaan takes about 2hrs if I follow the posted limit going across I-79 to Rt33. If I take the back way and follow the posted limits, I can cut 15-20 mins off easily. Plenty of parks to swing by and Mom-n-Pops to grab some grubbage(along with the usual golden arches and such)
smokediver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #247
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,236
Quote:
I've long wanted to visit WV and this summer it'll happen when Barley and I pass thru on our way to the MOA Rally in MO. I had a route all picked out, then saw this thread and am beginning to wonder if I should start all over again. Touristy stuff has little appeal to me; much better to travel rural roads to see what a state is all about. Besides, when traveling with a dog in a sidecar much of what the typical tourist stops to see is off limits to us.
WV is a great state for hacks!!

Rider_WV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #248
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,973
I don't want to hijack this thread, but might PM a few inmates for more in depth advice. Really appreciate the help so far and am looking forward to our visit!
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #249
sockethead
tugboat

Oddometer: 82
??? for wv riders.

Sorry if this is the wrong place too ask this, but I am looking for a few good, not chain, mom and pop type, places to eat in and around princeton or bluefield. Any help would be appreciated. That pic with the dog in the side car is awesome!!

it's all the same wind!!!!
sockethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:39 AM   #250
NachoRoto
Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer: 5,699

Not exactly the theme. But it is in WV. Summit Point WV. If you ever want to have a fun filled weekend. Set up a ride around a Roger Lyle's Motorcycle Xcitement track day. Lots of SUnday Monday events. You can ride the beautiful roads of WV on Saturday. Camp for free at Summit Point. Do a track day on Sunday. Its a great time.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #251
wvbobsmith
n00b

Oddometer: 3
A Dolly Sods version of Neil Perts "Ghost Rider"

Notice the Bobcat crossing the road out there. And I, with a camera on a tripod. My lucky day.

Here is a link to a little story I sent some buddies about this ADV.--http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/3915-little-story-more-pics/
wvbobsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #252
iBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:

Here's our rough route thru your wonderful state:
Cross into VA and then KY on 119. From there we straddle the TN border all the way to Land Between the Lakes.

Would it be better to turn right at Seneca Rock and take 33 to Elkins, then on to Helvetia and 20 south..? Maybe not so far south, but cross into KY near Summersville instead? Well-maintained gravel roads are fine, but I try to avoid the rough stuff since my poor dog gets shaken up like a ball in a paint can.

If your best buddy wanted to see as much of your state as possible in a day and a half while passing thru from northeast to west, which way would you send him?

After leaving Helvetia head to the WV Wildlife Center (aka Game Farm) @French Creek. It's a nice nature retreat to strech your legs and view some wildlife. You will also be at Rt 20 and turn south there. Prepare for some of most beautiful twisie u have ever ridden. Upon entering Webster County, look for Christi's Cook Shack for an excellent home cooked meal. Stay on 20 as long you can before veering towards Beckley. Enjoy!
iBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:45 AM   #253
whittrated03
Steady Rollin' Man

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVdyhrd View Post
Mike, there are some amazing WV shots on here from everyone, but that is front page material with the pup running in tandem!!!!!

Great job guys keep em coming
out stretching the tiger's legs

taken by hbn at fall LF

ed sr.'s scram -> http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628295
Is the bottom pic a Honda CB450 Black Bomber?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:18 AM   #254
onaXR
Druid

Oddometer: 2,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by whittrated03 View Post
Is the bottom pic a Honda CB450 Black Bomber?
Nah, thats Dads 305 scrambler.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #255
Iron Dingo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
I hope to get back and do some climbing soon..