User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
evildeadmike OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Ninja 500 for touring/adventure?

Just picked up a brand new 2009 Ninja 500R, wanted something a step up from my Ninja 250...

Looks like some turn signal mods are in order, as well as a Sport Touring zero gravity windscreen.

Anyone out there got a Ninja 500 set up for fun? Let's see 'em! especially anyone with hard or soft bags set up...

evildeadmike at gmail.com
2009 Kawasaki ER-6n
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (totaled)
1993 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold)

www.mikeandrani.com
evildeadmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
Lochlyn_Deckard
Dex Moto(naut)

Oddometer: 989
Suggestions:

Making the EX-500 a Sport Tourer/Commuter - www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,355.0.html

Spend some time in:

On the Road - www.ex-500.com/index.php/board,45.0.html
Gear & Apparel - www.ex-500.com/index.php/board,17.0.html
Modifications & Upgrades - www.ex-500.com/index.php/board,5.0.html

for discussions and pics of the various things. There are a number of commuters on the board.

In the pic below, I have the following on the bike: Cortech Mini Tank Bag, Sport Tail Bag, and Sport Saddlebags and a Renntec Sports Rack with 33 Liter E-Max Top Case. I alternate parts of this setup depending on the day and the distance.
Attached Images

Lochlyn_Deckard screwed with this post 04-29-2009 at 11:06 PM
Lochlyn_Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
evildeadmike OP
Adventurer

Right after I posted that I found that section on ex-500.com

your bike looks awesome, what windscreen are you running on it? it looks taller than stock?

Thanks!

2009 Kawasaki ER-6n

www.mikeandrani.com
Old 04-29-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
Lochlyn_Deckard
Dex Moto(naut)

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by evildeadmike
Right after I posted that I found that section on ex-500.com

your bike looks awesome, what windscreen are you running on it? it looks taller than stock?

Thanks!
Thank you.

The screen is stock. I considered a larger screen, but decided against it. If you read the windshield section in the first link in post#1, it details my thoughts about touring shields. I actually think the stock shield works fine, but I'm not riding interstates for hours. Opinions vary...
Lochlyn_Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:40 AM   #5
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlyn_Deckard
Thank you.

The screen is stock. I considered a larger screen, but decided against it. If you read the windshield section in the first link in post#1, it details my thoughts about touring shields. I actually think the stock shield works fine, but I'm not riding interstates for hours. Opinions vary...
Not Ninja specific, but a follow on to the windshield comments. I take very clean, stable air to the helmet on my GSX650F. I would like to reduce the amount of air with an aftermarket screen, but my concern is that I will "dirty" up the air with any changes. That has kept me from making any changes.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:21 AM   #6
evildeadmike OP
Adventurer

Yeah, I am undecided on the windscreen as well, apparently it is VERY subjective, and really depends on your height and seating position. I was looking at a laminar lip, but they cost the same as a whole new windscreen, which I thought was strange. If they were like half the cost, I might try one...

2009 Kawasaki ER-6n

www.mikeandrani.com
Old 05-15-2014, 01:00 PM   #7
RideN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Windscreen Ninja 500

I was wondering if there is anyone out there can tell me if you had a good experience with zero gravity touring windshield on a Ninja 500 for a person almost 6' tall. Also, may be a dump question, but those little swing up sets of hooks under the seat are to use to tie things onto the seat right? They look very thin. Also, has anyone had success with a rack on the back & maybe even a hard case?
RideN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:10 PM   #8
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
For what it's worth, this thread is older, but discusses the advantages and disadvantages of the 500R (relative to the 650R). It's not quite what you want, but has some good information on the Ninja 500R:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629698

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:56 PM   #9
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,681
I had a Ninja 500 about 10 years ago, and really liked that machine. It had a great little engine. Mine got right about 66 mpg, and you could ride it a couple ways. Kick back and putt around and it was a fine commuter. Kick it in the butt and it turned into a compact Mr. Hyde. Had a nice sound too. Wish I could find a new leftover one somewhere.

By the way, for those of you that may have an older model 250 Ninja, check out the kit from Blue Collar Bobbers. I really like it.

http://bluecollarbobbers.com/media/b...saki/nin31.jpg
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:59 AM   #10
RideN
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
For what it's worth, this thread is older, but discusses the advantages and disadvantages of the 500R (relative to the 650R). It's not quite what you want, but has some good information on the Ninja 500R:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629698
Thanks. I saw that thread and it looks like it is all about how the Ninja 650 is better than the 500. I agree and would take the 650 in a heart beat over the 500, but am on a budget and have a Ninja 500r aka ex500. This thread seemed to be more 500 specific and I am hoping someone who has a zero gravity touring windshield (who is about the same height as me - 5'11") will stumble on it and give me their opinion.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:40 AM   #11
RideN
Adventurer

Storage Shed

Ninja 500 for Adventure Touring? I'd really like some more input on this topic. Travel, leave bike in storage, come back in 6 months, travel some more.

My experiences with Yamaha XS400, Honda CM450, KLR650, V-Strom 650, and Ninja 500: (for more on the Ninja, just skip next paragraph).

Here is my situation. I got a KLR 650 after a 24 year hiatus from riding. As a kid, I rode my friends dirt bikes from time to time. When I began working in the Shipyard I got my motorcycle license I bought a dirt cheap Yamaha XS400 street bike for the simple reason that I could park at the gate of the shipyard for free. That broke down, so I sold that and bought a Honda CM450 which I rode the tires off of. I later got a pickup truck and a yz125 (that I always wanted as a younger teenager). I moved on to college and never rode again until a couple of years ago.
I bought a 2010 KLR 650 and began reading Adventure Rider... I'm hooked. It turns out that I didn't have as many dirt oriented places to ride the KLR as I thought. It was a top heavy and vibrated and blew around at 65mph (not to mention the buffeting). Now I was hooked on the luggage options, etc. and decided to get a 2007 V-Strom 650 loaded with luggage, etc. I could not believe the difference at 65mp from the KLR! Night and day. At higher speeds, however, I couldn't stand the buffeting (the givi tall windshield did not do the trick & I had to penny up for the madstad bracket which helped a lot, by making the air "cleaner" but more of it... did not eliminate the problem over 75-80mph depending on crosswinds, etc) . I kept it a whole year, rode on back roads, and went on one 3 day trip. That's it - one overnight trip in a year! I went on the trip with a guy that had a used Bandit 1250 (that he got for $1k plus a gun). He put soft bags on it and had just as much fun as me. I decided to sell the beloved v-strom that had it's own little issues (jerky at the throttle [even when letting off the gas] in the twisties and not smooth made the rear tire squirley for this fairly inexperienced rider). I did love that bike, but couldn't be happier with the Ninja 500!

The Ninja 500 has a smooth transition before it gets into the power at around 6k rpms. So if you are cruising at 4.5 rmps and hit the throttle, you don't get a ton of torque. That is one thing I loved and hated about the V-strom. In traffic (or just for kicks), hit the throttle in any gear at any rpm and you have torque awaiting, but after the initial torque it won't over power you. On a twisty mountain road, however, the Ninja handled WAY better. Maybe it's my lack of riding ability, but I like the smooth transition of the Ninja 500. Is it because it is a parallel twin? I don't know, but I looked up my old Honda CM450 that I loved and low and behold, it is also a parallel twin. Maybe it is the gearing, I don't know. Even when I had the Ninja in higher rpm's in the mountains, it was very smooth (compared to the V-twin).
We rode fast and steady from 11 am to lunch and from lunch to 7:30 pm and I can honestly say that I think I'll keep it and get some soft saddle bags. I already have a tank & tail bag. With soft saddle bags I'll be able to take a week long trip no problem.
Oh yeah, another thing. The Ninja 500 blows a lot of air in your chest and head. The difference between the KLR650 and V-strom 650 is that is is "clean", ie. smooth air. The air is just flowing over you and no buffeting at all (although when I hit 80mph I felt a lot of air inside my helmet I think coming from under the helmet). I love it, but not sure about cold weather.

Now here's the kicker: I want to travel around the country, but I have a family and other responsibilities. Does anyone think it is possible and worth it (pros and cons) of traveling for a week or so and putting my bike in a storage shed for 6 months, buying a round trip ticket home and coming back to the bike in 6 months to do it again... until I have travelled all the way around the country.
The Ninja was cheap enough that I would feel Ok to leave it in storage. The huge down side for me is that while it is in storage, I can't ride it (no problem over the winter, but the spring and fall?).
Old 05-19-2014, 07:46 AM   #12
RideN
Adventurer

Storage Shed

Anybody ride & store their bike, get round trip flight home to go back and ride more, thus making their way around the country? I'm thinking my cheap Ninja 500 would be ideal for this.

RideN screwed with this post 05-19-2014 at 01:47 PM
Old 05-19-2014, 07:48 AM   #13
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,924
The EX500 is one of the greatest bikes ever made!

Enjoy yours.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:19 AM   #14
RideN
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
The EX500 is one of the greatest bikes ever made!

Enjoy yours.
Thanks for the confirmation of what I am experiencing personally and was thinking was true (but due to my lack of experience on other bikes was not sure).

I was researching parallel twins by the way and I wonder what the comparison with the Honda CB500X would be? That has the option of hard luggage and in 7 years could be my next bike. Instead of comparing the Ninja 500 with the 650, this might be a good comparison.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:10 AM   #15
calamarichris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
It may not have a Dolby Stereo, cup holders, and reverse gear, but the EX500/Ninja 500R is one of the best sport-tourers out there. I rode mine from San Diego up to British Columbia a few years ago, and we had a fine, fine time.

And I've taken a few other multi-day trips too. I fell in love with that screw-locknut valve engine on my father's Concours, but who wants a bike that big & heavy? So I was delighted to find out the EX500 engine is basically half of a Concours engine. Same pistons, valves, bore, stroke & carbs, just half as many of them.

It also makes a great dog-taxi, and around-town errand-runner.

calamarichris screwed with this post 05-19-2014 at 02:45 PM
calamarichris is offline   Reply With Quote