Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2014, 07:15 AM   #1
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
triumph street triple r....tell me the good and the bad...

I am looking for a bike to replace my 2008 f650gs, I just haven't really gelled with the gs. My first gs_was a 2003 thumper which was fun in its own way. I wanted a little more oomphh so I bought the detuned 800\650 gs.

More back story is I came from owning three hayabusas which were set up for touring, a right cracking sports tourer. So I went from a 157 HP to 43.5 to 70 ,all which has been pretty interesting.

I have returned from two weeks in Europe where I rented a 2014\13( not sure) Kawasaki er650n, which was a surprise. Bike fit me,handled well , had just enough zip and was fun. I liked being more forward as opposed to the sit up and beg of the gs.

Now....?when I talk about getting into naked bikes, people always mention the triumph street triple. I know the R is a little different animal, but not by much...I think. I have been looking at the R version. I don't want any fairings.

Not interested in the ninja 650.

I won't have an opportunity to test ride a triumph due to end of season ect, ect so I was hoping to hear from folks who have one, and those who had one. What you love,what you didn't love. What worked and what didn't. Did you set it up for touring?

I am an older gal,the other side of 50, am 5'4 and about 128 lbs. My riding has slowed down as sore wrists and back now infringe on my riding at times. Reflexes also wane as we age so I am more careful now....at times.....with the odd spurt of my old hayabusa_hooligan ways.

To add another wrinkle( so to speak...get it?) I can buy a 2014 er65n with just over 2000 k on the clock,with ABS, for 6200.....out the door. That's a pretty sweet deal,hard to resist.Demo at a dealer...but...resell value will be low.

I am wondering if the triumph will "tick" more boxes for me...light weight,horsepowers, naked, possible to set it up for touring, not sure about fuel economy....that's why I would like to hear from present and past owners.

Its a lot of money to spend on what may be a mistake or good be the bike for me. I know we are all different with our needs and body shape,riding style,and so on but I would like to hear from real owners not professional reviewers.

Thanks
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,111
I have just purchased a 2014 Street Triple R for short sport touring and track days and just plain old fun. I have an 800XC for long trips and dirt and commuting. The only luggage I could find for it was the Ventura Bike Pack with 52 liter capacity. It has a 4.5 gallon tank and I am getting around 45mpg. Its FAST and FUN with a little more front lean than I expected but I might just be getting older. I think it is inline with the
Sprint ST. Hope this helps. Would I buy it again, you bet your ass I would.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:04 PM   #3
alekkas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Hi. Not sure if you have seen this site - http://cycle-ergo.com/

The ergos between the er6n and street are pretty substantial. At least you know the 6n.

You asked about horsepower / weight / handling. All will be superior with the triple.

I think - not sure - either will be a touring compromise and will wind up with soft luggage, some sort of small screen, tank bag, etc ...

So, confort, suspension and motor that you though were enough for you, and cost vs less comfort, better performance, better suspension, and more cost.

Good luck with the choice. Oh boy for an bigger budget eh? Story of my life.

Why do I keep thinking I'm gonna wind up in a love / hate relationship with a Guzzi?
alekkas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:05 PM   #4
queenpdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
I started a thread a few years back for people to discuss "all things Street Triple". You will find it here.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611442

It is a stellar bike. There are very few negatives. Lack of luggage options could be considered one, on the other hand there are a lot more options today than there were back when I bought mine. It is the bike that I miss the most of those that I have sold.

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:29 PM   #5
DWR302
Justan Nudderboomer

Oddometer: 128
You might want to check out the New Yamaha 7 and 9 nakeds. Like the Street but less $$. I know Twisted Throttle makes touring gear for the Street. It would prolly work for the Yamahas too.
DWR302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:13 AM   #6
drassif
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Luggage

Touratech makes what looks like a really nice hard bag setup for the street triple. It's not cheap.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...ple-up-to-2012
drassif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:37 AM   #7
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Yes, I saw that luggage setup....Gulp! Probably would be waaaaay cheaper to have a luggage rack fabbed to accept my LARGE assortment of Givi bags.

I spoke with a very knowagable friend who is a motorcyclist journo , who know me and how I ride and he advised against triple for my particular riding and purpose. For various reasons.....although he did rave about the bike.

The dealer also has a z1000 on the floor. Me likey! !!!
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:51 AM   #8
BSUCardinalfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
i love mine. new ones with low exhaust you can just throw a set of saddlebags on and go.

i've done everything from 10 day trips to commuting to blasting the north georgia/north carolina mountains on mine and it is the perfect bike for that combination. no screen on mine. magnetic tank bag when needed.

i've strapped camping gear on it and done that as well.

get the R, the price increase is small compared to the value.

reliable. holds value pretty well. smooooooooth engine. no vibes unless you really wring it out.

can't say enough how much I love it. i'm 42, 5'9" and 180. ergos are perfect for me.

if you want to save a little money then the fz09, fz07 might be good options.

I have 20,000 on mine and will keep it at least two more seasons. then....who knows? ducati scrambler currently is in my mind.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:39 AM   #9
kingrex
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
The triumph has a fairly long an low reach to the bars for a naked. The suspension on the "r" is firm and less forgiving. Great for high spirited riding but bad for less than perfect roads. The bike is not for those short in the inseam. The motor, however, is the real gem here. Someone mentioned the fz-07 / 09. This may be a better choice, especially the 07. Ergos are better and the ride is more compliant and its a yamaha, dealerships are everywhere. They tend to be indestructable. Darn nice looking bike too and will probably have more aftermarket support than the triumph. Good luck with your choice.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:06 AM   #10
cccolin
Studly Adventurer

just FYI, on the touring luggage, I just did 5300 miles with a large Wolfman Duffel as my only luggage, and it was totally fine. Bike was a little top heavy in parking lots, but otherwise I was happy with my choice. If I had a tankbag for the immediate essentials like phone, camera, water, etc., it would have been nearly perfect.
cccolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #11
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 741
There is no bad. There are choices, for sure. But there's no bad in that bike. They are a very complete machine and strike a great balance for all the things that make a bike fun to ride.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:48 AM   #12
RoteEddie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
It's a great bike! My only complaint is that the off/on throttle transition should be smoother. I've covered almost 6000 km since I picked up mine in August. It was delivered with the Arrow slip-on, rearsets, quickshifter, comfort seat and heated grips.

For touring I use a rack from SW Motech and a Giant Loop bag.

DSC_0402 by toreide, on Flickr

[
DSC_0398 by toreide, on Flickr
12' KTM 690 Enduro R Evo2
RoteEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #13
Shep
Vagabond

Oddometer: 500
Had mine since new in 2010. Several bikes have come and gone in that period; the Street Triple remains. Longest day "touring" for me was about 550 miles. Done that several times. I've done week long rides on it, using Kriega bags. There are some soft saddle bag options as well. I find the front suspension a bit harsh on some less than perfect roads, but the bike is much fun to ride, I can live with that. I'm 54 years old, don't have the best elbows, but have no problem riding the bike all day. I am also only 5'5" with a 29" inseam. No issue. As for gas mileage, I never check the actual fuel economy on a bike, but I do note how far I can go on a tank, which can impact travel. I can only get about 135 miles out of a tank before the light comes on. Others state they do much better. I have an Arrow exhaust and I do not baby it; I ride it hard.

Owned a long list of very nice bikes during my life; the Street Triple is in the top two favorites.

Shep
Old 10-06-2014, 03:59 PM   #14
queenpdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrex View Post
The triumph has a fairly long an low reach to the bars for a naked. The suspension on the "r" is firm and less forgiving. Great for high spirited riding but bad for less than perfect roads. The bike is not for those short in the inseam. The motor, however, is the real gem here. Someone mentioned the fz-07 / 09. This may be a better choice, especially the 07. Ergos are better and the ride is more compliant and its a yamaha, dealerships are everywhere. They tend to be indestructable. Darn nice looking bike too and will probably have more aftermarket support than the triumph. Good luck with your choice.
I couldn't disagree more. I have a short torso and arms and the thing I liked most about my striple was the compact feel and short reach to the bars. I do have a fairly long inseam (32in) but it is not a tall feeling bike at all. Honestly, I have never heard of someone regretting the purchase of a Street Triple. Sure, some (like me) have moved on, but that is one hell of a bike. If you decided it wasn't for you, the resale value (especially on the R's) is pretty good.

A much less expensive option would be the FZ-07, but you are giving up a lot of performance there. For the price, could be a great value, though.

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:49 AM   #15
RoteEddie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
I also need to mention the ABS. It is not very good when compared to KTM 1190. In the dry it cuts in way too early and regulates too slowly. I pull the fuse on dry days and enjoy the sublime power and feel of the system.

Interestingly, Evo (UK mag), have a track video of a R lapping with a pro rider onboard. They measured the brake force with and without ABS and came up with max 0,8G with, and 1,0+G without ABS.
12' KTM 690 Enduro R Evo2
RoteEddie is offline   Reply With Quote