User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2004, 03:46 PM   #1
BeeCeeGS OP
WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer: 1,798
Triumph Daytona 955i??

Any of you folks own one of the newer ones? My friend just picked one up (it was a leftover '02 so it didn't cost much more than a new 600) so at least I'll get to ride it.

Are they fairly reliable? Any good web resources out there?

TIA
Old 08-21-2004, 06:00 PM   #2
2ndSPACE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,390
Don't have a daytona have a Sprint and a Tiger. The Sprint has 22K on it and the only problem has been a nuetral switch. Tell him to get the recall done for the fuel disconnect, mine broke. As far as performance upgrades go there are a few venders in the U.S.. I have good look get parts from vendors in the U.K. That is a great bike. not quite the performance of the Japs but a hell of a lot more ridable.
2ndSPACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 10:08 PM   #3
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
The 955i is a great bike. It was often tossed in with the recent liter bike comparisons and many reviewers said it would be the one if they had to spend their own money and were looking for a liter sportbike for the roads. Mine has been reliable, a hoot to ride, not seen everywhere, great looks and character with that triple howl. Throw in the great price and wow, what a total sporting package. A good Triumph forum is triumphrat.net. I overlooked this make for a long time. Not any more.

sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 11:11 PM   #4
Joe S.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
I had and '01 for about 6 months a little over a year ago. I doubt he will have much mechanical problem with it, they seem pretty stout. Mine had some electrical gremlins which might or might not have been due to the bike, not sure since I don't know if they were 100% resolved or not.
It was powerful, sounded great, reasonably comfortable (more comfortable after Sky King risers). About the only thing I couldn't tolerate was the amount of engine heat off the left side, extremely uncomfortable to me if the outside air temperature was anything over 75 degrees. I put it out for sale at a very attractive price and got no action on it, finally traded it for my '03 SV1000 and have no regrets at all.
If I bought another Triumph I would sure want to get it cheap, they seem to have very poor resale value in my area, unfortunate because I think they are essentially sound machines.
Joe S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 04:32 PM   #5
PeeWee
Captain Squeaky

Oddometer: 154
The only problem with Triumphs is that more people don't ride them. That keeps their resale value pretty low. Otherwise, they are probably one of the best bikes out there. I love my T3 Sprint, buillt like a tank it is.

FTM-PTB

"Just keep twistin' the throttle until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death!"
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 04:34 PM   #6
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee
The only problem with Triumphs is that more people don't ride them. That keeps their resale value pretty low. Otherwise, they are probably one of the best bikes out there. I love my T3 Sprint, buillt like a tank it is.
The resale is low, and the buy new price is also low. Personally, I think that there is few on the road makes it a feature for me .
sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 04:40 AM   #7
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe S.
I put it out for sale at a very attractive price and got no action on it, finally traded it for my '03 SV1000 and have no regrets at all.
How's your SV1000? I sold my GS and just got a FZ1 but I already miss the low-end grunt and engine-braking of a big twin.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 11:59 AM   #8
Joe S.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
I'm very, very pleased with SV1000, mine is a naked, I thought the S model ergos were a little too cramped and, even though I could have modified it to suit, I was getting tired of having to do that. I added a Givi, quarter fairing, painted it too match and did some white 'number plate' graphics on the fairing and tail section, fender eliminator kit, Yoshimura 2 into 1 exhaust and a few other things, the most important of which was having the seat redone by Rich's in Seattle (stock seat was awful for me).
Currently my bike has just under 6k on it, no problems at all. Power is great, dyno'd at 109hp and just under 70 ft. lbs of torque after the exhaust mod. Originally I was torn up because i thought I couldn't afford the Monster S4 and having had a couple of Ducatis I wanted another one. Now I'm thinking that I'm perfectly happy with the SV, any changes I might make are probably the same ones I would make to a Monster and the maintenance costs are much less.
In the future I may invest in a better rear shock and having the forks revalved, if there is a place where the budget price shows up it seems to be in the suspension, it is definitely not as compliant as an FZ1.
In general there have been very few reported problems with the SV1000. Some folks have reported instances of a knocking sound which has been difficult to pin down, and three or four people have gotten main bearings replaced as a possible fix but there is no consensus on this. To date there have been no reported engine failures though despite the fact that some have been ridden pretty hard.
You might want to come visit the SV1000 Portal, a google search for that will pop it up for you, good bunch of guys and lots of information.
FWIW I looked hard at the FZ1 also, rode one a couple of times. I was pretty impressed and in fact its a lot more comfortable ergonomically than the SV, more spacious I think. The main difference I see is exactly what you said, the SV pulls hard down low and in the mid-range, the FZ1 is a rocket on top. One of the guys on the Portal, one Bogus Dave, owns both and has done roll on races with his SV against an FZ1 from first gear and finds them pretty evenly matched, with the SV pulling ahead slightly to over 100 mph, where the superior top end of the FZ1 takes over. I think they're both great motorcycles and I would be proud to own either one although in a choice between the two again, I would still pick the SV just because I guess I'm more of a twin guy at heart.
Just to put it in context, my other current bikes are a '02 R1150GS, a HD FXD and a DRZ400e, so my SV sort of fills the niche of sport bike.
Joe S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 01:39 PM   #9
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,347
I have an older Daytona 955 (old designation T-595). It's a 1998, and has been a really good bike, no major problems. Good ergo's (I'm 6'2") and generally fun to ride. Is it the fastest thing out there? No, but neither am I.

This past winter I pulled all the plastic off & went with standard bars. I essentially turned it in to a Speed Triple. I doubt your friend could go wrong, screw resale... it's only a toy after all.

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 02:12 PM   #10
Buckaroo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Tiger as Adventurer

I understand the Tiger holds up very well against the GS as a long-distance adventure tourer. Both are somewhat limited off-pavement, but I've heard the Tiger has longer travel in the forks and a bigger tank.
With that 6 gallon tank so high up, and the higher cog on the Tiger, I worry about top-heaviness on a bike that's 500lbs easy when loaded with touring gear. Even on a well maintained dirt or fire road I worry about traction.
I guess I'm a worry wart.
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:38 AM   #11
Datan556
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
Built like a tank goes like a bullet... or is that the Royal Enfield's logo?!!! hahahahahahahaha same thing innit

Ive got a '06 955i and love it! Ive only had it for less than a month now but its a love affair 100%
Old 12-22-2014, 03:42 PM   #12
Tgiby3
Triumph Street RAT

Oddometer: 29
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
i have an older daytona 955 (old designation t-595). It's a 1998, and has been a really good bike, no major problems. Good ergo's (i'm 6'2") and generally fun to ride. Is it the fastest thing out there? No, but neither am i.

this past winter i pulled all the plastic off & went with standard bars. I essentially turned it in to a speed triple. I doubt your friend could go wrong, screw resale... It's only a toy after all.

it looks so good naked ahhhhhh
Tgiby3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:43 PM   #13
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
The resale is low, and the buy new price is also low. Personally, I think that there is few on the road makes it a feature for me .
The 955i's were almost two grand over the Japanese liters at the time. That is one of the reasons I never bought one.

...So far as the op, there was a run of them early on that had bad cranks....that would have come out by now. Past that there are a couple recalls, fuel fittings being the big one.

Other than that they are fucking tanks, you may have some issues with the speed sensor, but that is about the worst of it, you can ixnay the hub sensor and uses rare earth in the rotor buttons, there is a thread about it on Triumph rat.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #14
kaput13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
I've always wanted one. To me they are one of the better looking sportbikes on the road.

Also one of the best used deals out there. I recently bought a running 22K 98 with fairing damage for a thousand bucks.

As others have already said: triumphrat.net is a great resource.

They are very entertaining bikes and the sound alone is worth the price of admission.
kaput13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:42 PM   #15
Rox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
The T595/955i is surely one of my bucket list bikes. Not the " World's Fastest bike" but surely a great one.
Rox is online now   Reply With Quote