User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
longrider999 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,414
kawasaki concours

im interested in a used kawasaki concours.i like the silver and black fron 02-05.how many of you out there have owned this bike and liked its performance?the bike im interested in has 31K.is that much miles for this engine?
longrider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by longrider999
im interested in a used kawasaki concours.i like the silver and black fron 02-05.how many of you out there have owned this bike and liked its performance?the bike im interested in has 31K.is that much miles for this engine?
I've had two of the older gen Concours. Put a total of a little over 100k between them. Replaced a shift rod seal on one...and that's it. At first, I checked the valves per the manual but got tired of pulling the valve cover for nothing...stretched the valve inspection to 20,000 miles and usually just found 3 or 4 valves slightly out of spec. They adjust with a wrench and screwdriver.

Huge aftermarket support. Very reliable with just a few issues..check out the Concours.org website for more info.

For info, Goldwing 1500 tires fit on the older Concours if you want tires that last....I really miss those Avon Elan tires.

Good gas mileage, usually in the mid-40's and good for 300+ miles between fillups.

Used models of that vintage are ridiculously cheap, expect prices from 2000-3500 for the years you're looking at dependent on mileage, condition, farkles, etc.

YMMV.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
Bryan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
I have one, a 2002, great bike, I have owned it for almost four years and done about 25,000 trouble free miles.

Shes not the hottest girl at the dance but she is sturdy and reliable.

To maintain this bike, is easy as regular oil changes and a the odd valve adjustment.

When the Concours was made Kawasaki did a lot of things right, that fairing is great, massive fuel tank, shaft drive, built in luggage, ample power, and respectable handling.

Slightly lacking is the brakes, but I have never had a problem, although I did install steel brake lines and EBC pads, but I would do that with any bike.

The good thing about the Concours is its inexpensive and over the years some people have and are still creating upgrades and mods for it.

My bike fits me like a glove, I really bonded with it and although I do often wonder about getting another bike, I feel that I would probably give up a lot in the process.

I haven't regretted it, I have never felt it was lacking and I would ride it to the ends of the earth if I had the opportunity.

100K is not uncommon for this bike, the only real flaw I think is the vacuum petcock which can fail in unnission with dirt in the carbs which then floods the cylinder bores with gas causing hydro lock and the possibility of bent rods while trying to start it, there is a alternitive petcock you can get, so no worries.

Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:55 PM   #4
Tenacious B
inward singer

Oddometer: 487
I've always been a fan of the Connie, I kinda wish Kawasaki still sold it along with the new 14, it certainly had a niche as a fully faired, shaft driven, factory baggin', 1000cc sport tour new for about $7k, and then there are the used ones nearly nothing. I might in the market for a commuter mule this summer and the Conc is first on the list.
Tenacious B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:04 PM   #5
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Oddometer: 3,804
I've never owned a Concours but when I was researching bikes, it was the closest thing I could find to what I was looking for. Very similar to what I chose, a BMW K75s. I would have gone the Concours route if Kawa had includes ABS as an option.

Still tempting...
Osprey! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:19 AM   #6
MikeyT
Krusty Olde Pharte™

Oddometer: 5,087
I have an 86 that has 104k miles on it. When I bought it four years ago, it had 71k. No trouble at all. I can't make it use oil. Some have 200k+ on them. I second concours.org.

99 Shadow Spirit 1100

"Non Illegitimi Carborundum"
MikeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:05 AM   #7
UPSam
All jacked up on Dew

Oddometer: 16,370
I have a 2005 which is getting a tire change and the complete 18k service in my garage by me at the moment

The main down fall of this bike is that it is dated as far as technology this is also its main advantage. It requires very frequent service compared to newer designed sport tourers but the service while time consuming is realitivily simple and requires few special tools.

I would NOT own this bike if I could not do the regular service which is at intervals of 6k(mostly). Paying a dealer to do it would be very costly for the amount I ride. I have had to adjust valves and balance the carbs 2 times in 12k miles.

The bikes only issues are the horrible stock tires, tendancy to over feel the road and dirty air/wobbling issues. It gets pushed around by semi-trailer air much more than say a goldwing........the cause(IMHO) is a combination of shit tires, finicky steering head adjustment, the fairing, and the rake,trail, wheel base etc(which makes it handle corners well for its size). I have got a handle on most of it and the goldwing tires that I am about to install should handle the rest. You may not care if you stay off interstates with tons of semis and don't ride grooved pavement. Not everyone is bothered by anything other than the tires. They really suck.

The motor is bullet proof with maintence and will last as long as a 4cycl toyota.

try this website for specific info. It is a great support group:

http://www.concours.org/
"There was a lot of talk last year about how Barack Obama would be a “transformational” president — but true transformation, it turns out, requires a lot more than electing one telegenic leader." -Paul Krugman 8/30/09
UPSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:10 AM   #8
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,077
Would anyone care to comment on the "buzz" that these are reputed to have at highway speed? Usually you hear about it from people who have never owned or ridden the bikes. I'd like to hear first hand experiences (no pun intnended).
drhach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:55 AM   #9
biscuit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
The buzz is certainly there

How offensive you find it really depends upon your experience. If you've ridden 80's vintage and older inline 4's then it's not an issue - you already know how to deal with it.

I've only owned one, and I know some are worse than others, but it really wasn't an issue for me. You can use the counter shaft adjustement to move the worst of it outside of your normal cruising range.

I'm pretty sure you can't get more bike for less money - especially for two-up riding.
biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:10 AM   #10
showtime45
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I've got a 2000 model with 40k trouble free miles. I don't even notice the "buzz'' at all. Gold wing tires out last the stock greatly. I've doubled the valve adj. miles (12k) & they are still within spec. We pull a camper 2 up with absolutley no problems. Oil & brake pads is all she needs. Great all around bike.
showtime45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:00 PM   #11
Bryan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Yes, I have the buzz on mine, not bad or hand numbing or any thing like that, I had a Virago before this bike, so the Concours actually feels smooth.

I did put a spacing washer at the top right motor mount, performed the baffel ectomy, and steel balls in the handlebars.

I rode it around town today , I never noticed the buzz, on the highway I do feel it but I have to pay attention or I will not notice it.

I have ridden many 500 + mile days with no ill effects, I even did a 950 mile day with no real problems except being tired.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:36 PM   #12
Twin headlight Ernie
bar napkin engineering

Oddometer: 1,363
Concours

I picked up a used 2002 two years ago. A friend gave me a good deal on it with some very nice accessories. I bought it to pull a trailor for my vending business and it has worked very well so far. More pics on my smugmug at:
twinheadlighternie.smugmug.com 2HE

My Smugmug:
http://twinheadlighternie.smugmug.com/

Dakota Motorsports

Twin headlight Ernie screwed with this post 03-26-2008 at 05:34 AM
Twin headlight Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:10 PM   #13
Wannabe
Rollin on my 5 0...

Oddometer: 117
Two words: Cam pitting. This is on late models only, as far as I've seen.

The Concourse vavle adjustment vs. cam replacement ratio was pretty crazy at our shop.

Then Kawasaki wouldn't warranty their own stuff...
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:08 PM   #14
longrider999 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,414
cam pitting

wannabe,by late models do you mean 02-07?i want to thank everyone for their posts.
longrider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:22 PM   #15
UPSam
All jacked up on Dew

Oddometer: 16,370
I rode my 2005 a month after i bought it 2300 miles in 4 days. The buzz was not noticeable to me but it is the most modern bike that I have owned. Definitely a complaint by people that have heard about riding a connie more than actual riders

Bar risers were a good investment but I am trying to run without them anyway.

Just reefed on a set of pilot GTs today and if I can get the bead seated on the front wheel I should be riding tomorrow. I only smashed my ring and middle finger so I feel lucky
"There was a lot of talk last year about how Barack Obama would be a “transformational” president — but true transformation, it turns out, requires a lot more than electing one telegenic leader." -Paul Krugman 8/30/09
UPSam is offline   Reply With Quote