Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
Iranian OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
shadow 750

Hi,

I testdrove today a Honda shadow 750. I felt it handled quite nervously. I have testdriven a lot of cruisers. Normaly the feel quite stable for the Kind of riding I do. Is there anybody who has similar experience from shadow 750? I was driving it in rush our and I was thinking how it would be Feeling driving it with foot clutch and handshift :-) Must be a nerv wrecking experience. I have only driven a 125 cc with handshift. Air pressure might be one reason since it belonged to a dealer.

Regards,

Iranian

Iranian screwed with this post 08-07-2014 at 12:54 PM
Iranian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:20 PM   #2
gonerydin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
I own a 600 Shadow and have ridden several 750 & 1100 versions. "Nervous" is not how I would describe the handling of any of them. Must be something wrong with the one you rode. Maybe over inflated tires.
gonerydin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #3
dmftoy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
I've owned two and they were great bikes for what they were. Always seemed to track fine, etc
dmftoy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:19 PM   #4
Iranian OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Strange. Must be something with the tires. I felt it was not a bike you would use for longer rides? Do you agree? I mean to drive to other countries? It was rush ohour so I could not get it above 100 km/h but I felt that 100 km/h was just about right Speed this bike. Do you agree?
Old 08-07-2014, 10:23 PM   #5
gonerydin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
They can be good for long distance if you are not in a hurry.
gonerydin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:29 AM   #6
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Fantastic

Oddometer: 404
What exactly do you mean by "handled nervously"? Did the Bike wallow about, or was the steering twitchy?

What model Shadow 750 was it? Depending on model year, there are several; ACE, Aero, Spirit, RS & Phantom ... handling characteristics between these models does differ slightly because of different tires, ride height, rake and trail ...

Speaking of tires, how were they on the Bike you rode? Worn, properly inflated?

I've owned 2 Shadows in recent years ... an '06 Spirit and a '10 RS ... both handle very well for the types of Bike they are in my opinion ...
Old 08-08-2014, 02:35 AM   #7
Iranian OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It Was this bike. The bike as far as I can recall had only done 1500 km. I can just say how but the total impression was neverous behaviour, specially going over uneven ground. I Think it was due to the tires. Either they had to Lowe pressuare or they just where slippery because the tires was almost new.

http://www.honda.de/motorraeder/mode...t750cs_abs.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-R Rider View Post
What exactly do you mean by "handled nervously"? Did the Bike wallow about, or was the steering twitchy?

What model Shadow 750 was it? Depending on model year, there are several; ACE, Aero, Spirit, RS & Phantom ... handling characteristics between these models does differ slightly because of different tires, ride height, rake and trail ...

Speaking of tires, how were they on the Bike you rode? Worn, properly inflated?

I've owned 2 Shadows in recent years ... an '06 Spirit and a '10 RS ... both handle very well for the types of Bike they are in my opinion ...
Old 08-08-2014, 07:06 PM   #8
DarthJ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
It's definitely an Aero. That's very odd, I have a 2011 that I bought new and the only tracking issue I've ever had was over grooved concrete/asphalt. There may have been an issue with that specific bike as they are pretty easy handling bikes. They do tend to get a buzz about 70-75 MPH, but they're pretty easy riding otherwise.
DarthJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #9
Hazelfire
Most Awesome Noob

Oddometer: 6
I ride a Shadow Spirit 750... it's hard to say if it handles "nervously" as I can't really define that. It certainly doesn't appreciate potholes (which I should not be hitting anyway hah, but sometimes they can't be avoided too well) and is a bit squirrelly on bumpy roads. Not sure if that is what you mean.

And it does indeed get quite a buzz going around 70 mph. Nothing wrong though, that's just how it is. It's content to do that; I've taken the silly thing 200+ miles at that speed with no issues, then or after. Had to gas up along the way of course.
Hazelfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:48 PM   #10
Iranian OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I Think you guys just have described what I felt during the testride. Yes you are right about the Buzz. I would love to see the shadow with a dct box footboards.

Anyway, I am now down to two/three bikes. Suzuki c800 and vn 900 Classic. I have twice testdriven the vn 900 Classic but I have never riden the c800 but I have booked a testride in the end of the month.
I also Think that the rear chockabsorber didn't work that very vell and the seat was not comefortable for me.

What I like with the vn 900 Classic is the design,colour and the 20 litre fueltank.

The advantage of the c800 is that I sitter better, in my view the shaftdrive is slightly better then belt and simpler valve technic.

The downside is that it has only 15.5 litre fueltank and it is not as beutiful as the vn 900 Classic.

Iranian screwed with this post 08-08-2014 at 10:54 PM
Old 08-08-2014, 11:42 PM   #11
DarthJ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
With boards on, the buzz actually isn't too bad, almost feels pleasant on the feet. Have to ask my gf what she thinks of the buzz, though pretty sure she likes it.
DarthJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:08 AM   #12
Iranian OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The third and last bike on my list is the honda nc750dct but I have had 4 street bikes so I want to switch over to cruisers. So it is basically the vn 900 Classic or the Suzuki c800 that I am intrested in.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:57 PM   #13
Warrior55
n00b

Oddometer: 1
You may need to have your tires balanced. My 2006 Shadow Aero 750 vibrates and is a little unstable below 65 mph. From there up to top speed of about 95 the bike is smooth and solid as a rock.

I am leaving mine alone because it cruises so well at highway speeds. I'm afraid that if they try to balance my tires that they will screw up the smooth cruising.
Warrior55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:42 PM   #14
DutchVDub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
VN900 for sure, but its a lot bigger bike and motor.

My wife has a 2008 Honda Shadow 750 Spirit and its a great "little" bike. It'll do interstate speeds no problem but it doesn't have a lot left over for passing once you get up to 75-80mph. It definitely gets buzzy over 70mph too. I feel it more in my butt and groin than in my feet. After a few miles I really want to slow down, a few miles after that I go numb to it.

I don't think its nervous or twitchy at all, I think it handles very good for what it is. I also like that with the pegs I'll drag my heel before I drag anything metal. Its easy and reflexive to move your foot, plus it doesn't disturb the chassis of the bike. When you slam a floor board into the asphalt it can be pretty scary.

The VN900C is exactly what I want to replace the Shadow with once my wife feels confident/comfortable enough going to a substantially bigger/heavier bike. Either that or I'm going to have her mover over to a smaller Sport Tourer. Just depends on what she wants. For now she is happy with the Shadow, and so am I.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:44 AM   #15
Bones750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
I had a '99 ACE and I always felt it to be a bike that had a very "planted" feel for its engine's size and weight. It did however readily let you know if the tire pressure was a bit low. It would start feeling a tad squirrelly on long sweepers. That being said, it was a great, dependable bike and if all bikes readily communicated with their rider as this one did, I'd be a happy camper.
Bones750 is offline   Reply With Quote